button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
St Lawrence, Appleby
St Lawrence's Church
Appleby Church
locality:-   Appleby
civil parish:-   Appleby-in-Westmorland (formerly Westmorland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church
coordinates:-   NY68332044
1Km square:-   NY6820
10Km square:-   NY62
references:-   : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

BJY60.jpg (taken 28.10.2005)  
BRE95.jpg (taken 3.8.2009)  

evidence:-   descriptive text:- Simpson 1746
source data:-   Atlas, three volumes of maps and descriptive text published as 'The Agreeable Historian, or the Compleat English Traveller ...', by Samuel Simpson, 1746.
image SMP3P4, button  goto source
Page 1022:-  "... At the Lower-end of the Town [Appleby] are the Church, ..."
image SMP3P5, button  goto source
Page 1023:-  "... the greatest Benefactress to this Town was the Lady Anne, Daughter and Heiress of George Lord Clifford, who ... settled Lands ... to the Value of 8 l. a Year to keep up the Repairs of the Church, ... rebuilt a good Part of the Church in which she lies interr'd, ..."

evidence:-   old map:- Hill 1754
source data:-   Town plan, A Plan of Appleby in Westmorland, scale about 32 ins to 1 mile, engraved by Nathaniel Hill, 1754.
image  click to enlarge
item:-  Carlisle Library : Map 211
Image © Carlisle Library

evidence:-   old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd) 
source data:-   Map, 4 sheets, The County of Westmoreland, scale 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed 1768, and engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
item:-  National Library of Scotland : EME.s.47
Image © National Library of Scotland

evidence:-   old text:- Pennant 1773
item:-  monument
source data:-   Book, A Tour from Downing to Alston Moor, 1773, by Thomas Pennant, published by Edward Harding, 98 Pall Mall, London, 1801.
image PEN6p144, button  goto source
Pennant's Tour 1773, page 144  "The church is at the lower end of the street, sufficiently signalized by containing the remains of Anne Clifford and her excellent mother. The last lies beneath a fine tomb, on which is her recumbent image. She is dressed in a long cloak, which quite covers her to the feet, leaving only her face and her buttoned jacket visible: on her head is a coronet, and round her neck a small ruff. She was the mistreated wife of the celebrated George Clifford earl of Cumberland, a hero above the tender feelings of relationship or conjugal affection, devoted to deeds of arms, or feats of chivalry in honour of his great but romantic mistress. He paid the debt to Nature several years before his Lady, and with a penitence for his harsh usage of her, which did honour"
image PEN6p145, button  goto source
Pennant's Tour 1773, page 145  "to both parties. She died at Brougham-castle on May 24, 1616. She lived his wife twenty-nine years, and survived him ten years and seven months, as the inscription imports. The monument was erected by the Daughter in the following year, on which are these lines:"
""Who faith, love, mercy, noble constancy,
"To GOD, to virtue, to distress, to right,
"Observ'd, express'd, shew'd, held religiously,
"Hath here this monument. Thou seest in sight
"The cover of her earthly part; but, Passenger,
"Know, Heaven and Fame contain the best of her.""
"The Earl of Cumberland was married to this Lady against his own consent, when very young, by his guardian the Earl of Bedford, whose daughter she was: they ever lived very unhappily together; and it appears by her daughter's Diary, that she had a very great spirit, and took little pains to conciliate his affection."
"A mural monument records the death of her illustrious daughter, who died in the same castle, after an illness of three or four days, on March 22, 1675, full of years and glory, aged 85. Beneath is an altar-tomb, without any image, or, I think, inscription. These are said to have been erected by herself, many years before her death. For"
image PEN6p146, button  goto source
Pennant's Tour 1773, page 146  "the keeping these monuments in repair, and for other uses, she purchased lands in Temple-Sowerby; and, by deed dated February 2, 1656, appointed trustees for the execution of her intent. On the tomb is the following inscription, extremely inadequate to the greatness of her character:"
""Here lies, expecting the second coming of our Lord and Saviour JESUS CHRIST, the dead body of the Lady Anne Clifford, daughter and sole heir to George Clifford third Earl of Cumberland, by his blessed wife Margaret Russel Countess of Cumberland; which Lady Anne was born in Skipton-castle, in Craven, the 30th of January, being Fryday, in the year 1590, as the year begins on New-year's-day; and by a long continued descent from her father, and his noble ancestors, she was Baronesse of Clifford, Westmoreland, and Vesey; High-sheriffesse of the county of Westmoreland, and of the honour of Skipton-castle aforesaid. She married, for her first husband, Richard Sackville earl of Dorset, and for her second husband, Philip Herberte earl of Pembroke and Montgomery: leaving behind her only two daughters that lived, which she had by her first husband; the eldest, Margaret countesse of Thanet; and the youngest, Isabel countesse of Northampton. Which Lady Anne Clifford countesse dowager of Pembroke, Dorset, and Montgomery, deceased at her castle"
image PEN6p147, button  goto source
Pennant's Tour 1773, page 147  ""at Brougham, the 22d day of March, in the year of our Lord 1675, christianly, willing, and quietly, having before her death seen a plentiful issue by her two daughters, of thirteen grand-children: and her body lyes buried in this vault.""

evidence:-   old text:- Camden 1789 (Gough Additions) 
item:-  monumenttomb
source data:-   Book, Britannia, or A Chorographical Description of the Flourishing Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, by William Camden, 1586, translated from the 1607 Latin edition by Richard Gough, published London, 1789.
image CAM2P157, button  goto source
Page 157:-  "..."
"[Appleby] ... The church is but small, but has a most delicate monumental figure of Margaret countess of Cumberland, mother to Anne Clifford before-mentioned, with these comprehensive lines under the epitaph:"
""Who, Faith, Love, Mercy, noble Constancy,
To God, to Virtue, to Distress, to Right,
Observ'd, express'd, shew'd, held religiously,
Hath here this monument thou seest in sight,
The cover of her earthly part: but, passenger,
Know Heaven and Fame contain the best of her.""
"Also an altar-tomb for her daughter: over which is a tablet with the succession and arms of the lords and earls of Westmorland from Robert Vipont to herself. ..."

evidence:-   old text:- Gents Mag
placename:-  St Laurence's Church
source data:-   Magazine, The Gentleman's Magazine or Monthly Intelligencer or Historical Chronicle, published by Edward Cave under the pseudonym Sylvanus Urban, and by other publishers, London, monthly from 1731 to 1922.
image G814B628, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1814 part 2 p.628  "... Towards the North end of the town [Appleby] stands the Church, dedicated to St. Laurence, near an old bridge of two arches, at the West end of which was formerly a small Chapel, likewise dedicated to that Saint. The Church is large, having a long body of three aisles, a small chancel, a low tower embattled at the West end, and a porch on the South side. Great part of the Church was rebuilt by the Countess in the year 1659, and a vault made during her lifetime near the North-east angle of the chancel. On the North wall is her monument of black marble, on which are distributed twenty-four shields bearing arms, the pedigree of her illustrious family. In the base is this inscription:"
"'Here lyes expecting yr second comeinge of our Lord and Savious Jesus Christ, ye dead body of ye Lady Anne Clifford, daughter and sole-heire to George Clifford, third Earl of Cumberland, by his blessed wife Margaret Russell, Countess of Cumberland, which Lady Anne was born in Skipton Castle in Craven ye 30th of January (being a Friday) in the year 1590, as ye year begins on New-year's-day. By a long-continued descent from her father and his noble ancestors, she was Barroness Clifford, Westmorland, and Vesey, High Sherifesse of the county of Westmorland, and Lady of ye Honor of Skipton in Craven aforesaid. She married for her first husband Richard Sackville, Earl of Dorset; and for her second husband, Philip Herberte, Earl of Pembroke and Montgomery, leaving behind her only two daughters that lived, which she had by her first husband; the eldest, Margaret Countess of Thanet, and the younger Isabella Countess of Northampton. Which Lady Anne Clifford Countess Dowager of Pembroke, Dorset, and Montgomery, deceased at her Castle of Brougham. ye 22nd day of March, in ye year of our Lord 1675, Christianly, willingly, and quietly, having before her death seen a plentiful issue by her two daughters of thirteen grandchildren; and her body lies buried in this vaulte.'"

evidence:-   old text:- Gents Mag
source data:-   Magazine, The Gentleman's Magazine or Monthly Intelligencer or Historical Chronicle, published by Edward Cave under the pseudonym Sylvanus Urban, and by other publishers, London, monthly from 1731 to 1922.
image G825A514, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1825 part 1 p.514 
From the Compendium of County History:-  "... In St. Lawrence Church are some noble monuments to the Cliffords; among which is one to the Countess of Pembroke. ..."

evidence:-   old map:- Nurse 1918
source data:-   Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 2nd edn 1939.
item:-  JandMN : 27
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   site plan:- Historical Monuments 1936
source data:-   Site plan, uncoloured lithograph, Appleby, Parish Church of St Lawrence, Appleby, Westmorland, scale about 1 to 290, published by Royal Commission on Historical Monuments England, London, 1936.
image  click to enlarge
On p.5 of the Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Westmorland. 
RCHME no. Wmd, Appleby 1 
item:-  Armitt Library : A745.4
Image © see bottom of page

 stained glass

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Church of St Lawrence
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Lower stage of the tower is circa 1150,C13, South porch, body of the church is early C14, Decorated on the inside and C15 Perpendicular on the outside, north chapel and chancel rebuilt by Lady Anne Clifford in 1655 with a general restoration: restored again 1861-2 and 1960. Coursed rubble with lead roofs. Nave with castellated clerestory, aisles, chancel,south-west porch, castellated west tower with clock of 1699. 4 bay nave arcade. Probably early C19 flat plaster ceiling with Gothic panelling. Particularly fine and important organ brought from Carlisle Cathedral in 1674 and dating probably from 1571; the case is dated 1836 when it was reconstructed, using much old material, by Thomas Modell. The windows are mostly Victorian restorations. Fine C17 memorials to the Clifford family, C15 screen. Modern font. Some good mostly C18 headstones in the churchyard."


 memorials - Lady Anne Pembroke

evidence:-   old painting:- 
item:-  gravestone
source data:-   Painting, watercolour, Each in His Narrow Cell Forever Laid, Appleby Church, St Lawrence's Curch, Appleby, Westmorland, by Samuel Bough, 1878.
image  click to enlarge
Appleby Church and its graveyard. The church and gravestones have been blocked in with colourwash; the sky, and trees to left of composition, are more highly finished; the foreground remains blank. The work is unfinished. Bough continued to execute works depicting Cumbrian subjects whilst he lived in Scotland. 
This was the artist's last work; it was executed plein-air 5.8.1878. Bough died in November. 
item:-  Tullie House Museum : 1920.22
Image © Tullie House Museum

evidence:-   old print:- Rose 1832-35 (vol.1 no.57) 
source data:-   Print, uncoloured engraving, Appleby, Westmorland, drawn by Thomas Allom, engraved by M J Starling, published by Peter Jackson, London and Paris, 1830s.
image  click to enlarge
vol.1 pl.57 in the set of prints, Westmorland, Cumberland, Durham and Northumberland Illustrated, originally. In the foreground water is being fetched from the River Eden. 
printed at bottom left, right, centre:-  "T. Allom. / M. J. Starling. / APPLEBY, WESTMORLAND. / PETER JACKSON, LONDON &PARIS."
item:-  Dove Cottage : 2008.107.21
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old print:- Pennant 1773 (edn 1801) 
source data:-   Print, engraving, The Monument of Margaret, Countess of Cumberland, in St Lawrence's Church, Appleby, Westmorland, drawn by Moses Griffith, engraved by A Birrill, published by Edward Harding, 98 Pall Mall, London, 1801.
image  click to enlarge
Tipped in opposite p.144 of A Tour from Downing to Alston Moor, 1773, by Thomas Pennant. 
printed at bottom left, right, centre:-  "Moses Griffith. Del / A Birrill Sc / The MONUMENT of MARGARET, COUNTESS of CUMBERLAND / Pub June 1 1801 by Edw Harding 98 Pall Mall."
item:-  Armitt Library : A1057.21
Image © see bottom of page

 ring of bells

 cross slabs

Radulphus  1070 -  
Dean, Roger  1210 -  
William, Abbot  1225 -  
Jurdan  1230 -  
Kyrketun, William de  1230 -  
Doncastre, Walter de  1303 -  
Popilton, Stephen de, Sir  1307 -  
Carleton, John de, Sir  1332 -  
Colyn, William, Sir  1359 -  
Baynes, Robert, Sir  1379 -  
Brunby, Thomas de, Sir  1399 -  
Appleby, Richard, Sir  1466 -  
Garrett, Richard, Sir  1518 -  
Hartley, Henry, Sir  1526 -  
Sewell, Hugh  1541 -  
Manfield, Lancelot  1573 -  
Walker, Christopher  1582 -  
Crackanthorp, William  1624 -  
Scott, John  1628 -  
Guy, Edward  1636 -  
Shaw, Anthony  1653 -  
Rowland, Andrew  1656 -  
Buchanan, James  1661 -  
Hodgson, Michael  1681 -  
Smallwood, Gabriel  1681 -  
Lamb, James  1698 -  
Christopherson, John  1720 -  
Latham, Sandford  1758 -  
Paley, William  1777 -  
Sproule, John Rowland  1789 -  
Phillips, William  1797 -  
Milner, Joseph  1820 -  
Phelps, William Whitmarch  1865 -  
Boutflower, Samuel Peach  1867 -  
Mathews, William Arnold  1883 -  
Shepherd, William Mutrie  1896 -  
Bosworth, Roger Parry  1910 -  


Described in:-

Butler, Lawrence (ed): 2011: Church Notes of Sir Stephen Glynne for Cumbria, 1833-1872: CWAAS:: ISBN 978 1 873124 52 9
Extracted from the original notes made by Sir Stephen, now in Deiniol's Library, Hawarden, Flintshire, contact through Flintshire Record Office

BJY63.jpg  The organ was given to the borough of Appleby in 1683, having been used at Carlisle Cathedral for a '100 years'. This is possibly the oldest working organ in England. Installed here 1722, moved 1863 and again 1976.
(taken 28.10.2005)  
CCA93.jpg  Organ detail.
(taken 7.11.2014)  
CCA94.jpg  Organ detail.
(taken 7.11.2014)  
CCB10.jpg  Organ pipes.
(taken 7.11.2014)  
BOI87.jpg  Sermon on the new organ:-
"Of MUSICK A SERMON Preach'd at the Opening of the New Organ, IN St. LAURENCE's Church in Appleby in Westmorland On July 25. A.D. 1722. / LONDON Printed for THOMAS CORNEY Bookseller in Penreth in Cumberland 1723. Price 6d." (taken 10.11.2007)  
BJY64.jpg  Coat of arms, Stuart period.
(taken 28.10.2005)  
BOI88.jpg  Royal Westmorland Militia
(taken 10.11.2007)  
CCB08.jpg  Mothers Union banner
(taken 7.11.2014)  
BRF05.jpg  Library shelf (the books are away for conservation).
(taken 3.8.2009)  
BJY65.jpg  The borough arms, with the mace rest, on the pillar by the pulpit; there is also a rest for the sword.
(taken 28.10.2005)  
CCB06.jpg  Corporation pews.
(taken 7.11.2014)  
CCB07.jpg  Corporation pews.
(taken 7.11.2014)  
BJY66.jpg  Carving on the back of one of the corporation pews.
(taken 28.10.2005)  
CCB11.jpg  Town coart of arms.
(taken 28.10.2005)  
CCB09.jpg  Nave ceiling
(taken 7.11.2014)  
CCB12.jpg  Gravestone.
(taken 7.11.2014)  
BRF06.jpg (taken 3.8.2009)  

MN photo:-  
Frosterley Marble is a fossiliferus limestone from the Carboniferous period, about 325 million years before present. The dark grey limestone contains fossils of solitary corals, Dibunophyllum bipartium. It was quarried near Frosterley, in the Pennines, Durham.

BTW80.jpg  The font, made of a fossiliferous marble.
(taken 7.1.2011)  
BJY62.jpg  The font, fossiliferous marble, with its wooden cover.
(taken 28.10.2005)  

BOI89.jpg  Rafter in the south aisle:-
"[ANN COUNTESSE OF PEMBROKE IN ANO 1655 REPAIRED ALL THIS BUILDING]" as transcribed in the church leaflet.
(taken 10.11.2007)  

The oldest remaining part of the church is the lower part of the tower, which is 12th century. Following damage of the border wars, it was burnt in 1388, the church was rebuilt in the 14th century. And then there were repairs and improvements and maintenance in 17th, 18th and 19th centuries; which continue. The porch was built about 1300, though the arch is a hundred years older. A rafter in the Lady Chapel, south aisle, states:-
The pillars of the nave also date to about 1300, the moulded ceiling above was erected in 1831.

: : church leaflet

person:-    : St Lawrence
place:-   Appleby / Carlisle Diocese

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.