button to main menu   Ford's Description of the Lakes, 1839/1843

button title page
button previous page button next page
Page 135:-
at the junction of two pretty streams, wear a venerable and majestic appearance, and are, as a whole, a conspicuous and romantic object in every approach. The return is by the London road, which here crosses the Eamont by a new bridge, erected on the site of one washed down in the great floods of 1822.
Lowther Castle and Hawes Water are most usually and conveniently visited from Penrith. The tourist must go on as far as Eamont Bridge, and then turn direct to the right towards Yanwath, the old hall of which wears a very castellated look, towering out of the old ancestral trees, and standing on the south bank of this beautiful stream. The guide-post will direct him to the left; and having traversed five miles, he will arrive at Askham, a good village in a pleasant situation, opposite to Lowther Park. The hall is an oblong turreted building, either rebuilt or greatly enlarged in 1574, as appears from a curious inscription over the door. It was in 1828 converted into the rectory for the parish. The church is a small edifice, dedicated to St. Peter, having a large chapel belonging to the hall. Cross the river to

  Lowther Castle
  Lowther Park

The Castle stands in a park of six hundred acres, on the east side of the delightful vale of Lowther. The building was begun in 1802, and its general form is pyramidal, the wings adorned with turrets
gazetteer links
button -- Askham Hall
button -- "Askham" -- Askham
button -- (bridge, Brougham)
button -- "Brougham Castle" -- Brougham Castle
button -- "Lowther Castle" -- Lowther Castle
button -- "Lowther Park" -- Lowther Park
button -- St Peter's Church
button -- Yanwath Hall (?)
button next page

button to main menu Lakes Guides menu.