button to main menu   Ford's Description of the Lakes, 1839/1843

button title page
button previous page button next page
Page 134:-
further on, is Clifton: its old hall, now a farm-house, is a turreted building. The moor is famous as having been the scene of an engagement between the Highlanders and the Duke of Cumberland, to which allusion is made in Waverley. From this pleasant village extends the walk to the Countess' Pillar, a lofty and handsome stone obelisk, erected by the good Countess of Pembroke in 1656, to commemorate her parting with her mother, the countess dowager; it is adorned with dials and armorial quarterings. On the return is

  Brougham castle
On the site of the Roman Brovoniacum, at the confluence of the Eamont and Lowther, where many Roman remains have been found. The present Castle is Norman. The first Roger Lord Clifford built part, as appears from an inscription - 'This made Roger.' In 1651 the countess re-edified it, after it had lain in ruins from 1617. The entrance is by a machicolated gateway and tower, and a short covered way leads to an under gateway with iron-grated gates. The Dongçon, a stately edifice of excellent masonry, rises from the midst of the area: within this is a vault, the groined roof of which is supported by a single octagonal pier. The outward and inner gateways are both vaulted with common arches, and have been defended by portcullises.
These ruins, standing on a tree-clad eminence
gazetteer links
button -- (battle site, Clifton Moor)
button -- "Brougham Castle" -- Brougham Castle
button -- Clifton Hall
button -- Countess Pillar
button -- "Brovoniacum" -- (roman fort, Brougham)
button next page

button to main menu Lakes Guides menu.