button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
St Michael, Hawkshead
St Michael and All Angels Church
Hawkshead Church
locality:-   Hawkshead
civil parish:-   Hawkshead (formerly Lancashire)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church
coordinates:-   SD35209806
1Km square:-   SD3598
10Km square:-   SD39
references:-   : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

BJV24.jpg (taken 16.9.2005)  
BJV26.jpg (taken 16.9.2005)  
The walls awere adorned by James Addison from Hornby, Lancashire, about 1680; designs were partly repainted and perhaps damaged by William Mackreth, Hawkshead, 1711-12; whitewashed over 1790s; discover, then repainted by William Bolton, Hawkshead, 1876; restored under the supervision of Janet Lenton, 1955.

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Lan 5 2) 
placename:-  St Michael's Church
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
"St Michael's Church (Vicarage) / Grave Yard"

evidence:-   old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd) 
source data:-   Map, 4 sheets, The County of Westmoreland, scale 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed 1768, and engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
item:-  National Library of Scotland : EME.s.47
Image © National Library of Scotland

evidence:-   descriptive text:- West 1778 (11th edn 1821) 
source data:-   Guide book, A Guide to the Lakes, by Thomas West, published by William Pennington, Kendal, Cumbria once Westmorland, and in London, 1778 to 1821.
image WS21P055, button  goto source
Page 55:-  "... Hawkshead, which stands under a mountain, at the upper end of a narrow valley. The church is seated on the front of an eminence that commands the vale, which is floated with"

evidence:-   old text:- Clarke 1787
source data:-   Guide book, A Survey of the Lakes of Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire, written and published by James Clarke, Penrith, Cumberland, and in London etc, 1787; published 1787-93.
image CL13P146, button  goto source
Page 146:-  "..."
"The church is situated upon a high hill close to the town, (or rather within it,) its vicarial worth about 160 pounds per annum, and the present incumbent is Mr Brathwaite of Bellmont, ... In the church-yard is a stone with the following inscription upon it:"
"In memory of Banks Robinson, late of High-Wray, who departed this life 17th October 1782, in the 85th year of his age:"

evidence:-   old text:- Gents Mag
item:-  monument
source data:-   Magazine, The Gentleman's Magazine or Monthly Intelligencer or Historical Chronicle, published by Edward Cave under the pseudonym Sylvanus Urban, and by other publishers, London, monthly from 1731 to 1922.
image G829B116, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1829 part 2 p.116  "... ..."
"Hawkeshead, Aug. 2."
"Mr. URBAN,"
"I SEND you two epitaphs which I transcribed from monuments of the Sandys family, in the parish Church"

evidence:-   old text:- Gents Mag 1829
item:-  effigycoat of arms
source data:-   image G829B117, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1829 part 2 p.117  "of Hawkshead, Lancashire: one from the monument of William and Margaret Sandys, parents of the celebrated Edwyn Sandys, who in 1565, being then Bishop of Carlisle, was one of those appointed to translate the Bible, was Bishop of London in 1570, and Archbishop of York in 1576, and founded the Free Grammar School here in 1585. The other is from a monument erected to the memory of five of the infant children of Myles Sandys, son and heir of Samuel Sandys of Graithwaite. This Myles was deputy Lieutenant for the county of Lancaster in 1700, and High Sheriff in 1708; he lies interred in the Sandys' choir. William, mentioned in the former epitaph, was nephew of Thomas Rawlinson, Abbot of Furness, and married Margaret daughter of John Dixon of Wooderslacke, co. Westmorland. They lie also in the Sandys' choir, under a table monument, upon which are represented, in alto relievo, their effigies, in full proportion, with their hands raised in a praying posture. At the head, and on the side, are the Sandys' arms, between the letters E.S. (the initials, I suppose, of the Archbishop), with a crescent of distinction. The epitaph runs round the verge of the tomb, and is in some parts much contracted. Over the choir door, on the outside, are the Sandys' arms, between the same initials, and underneath the date 1578."
"I shall feel much obliged to any of your readers who will transmit you a correct copy of the epitaph of Miles Magrath, first protestant Archbishop of Cashel in Ireland, who was buried in that city. His epitaph, I understand, was privately erased about twenty-six years ago, by some person to whom it seemed to give offence."
""Conditur hoc tumulo Gulielmus Sandus, et uxor
Cui Margaretae nomen et omen erat:
Armiger ille fuit percharus regibus olim:
Illa sed exemplar religionis erat.
Conjugii fuerant aequali sorte beati,
Foelices opibus, stemmate, prole, fide:
(Pignora divini fuerant haec magna favoris;
Haec tamen Edwini cuncta retundit honos:
Qui doctor, rectorque scholae, censor quoque, praesul
Ter fuerat, merito Phoebus in orbe sacro),
Quos amor et pietas lecto conjunxit eodem.
Hoc sub spe vitae continet iste lapis.""
""Hoc monumentum Mylo Sandys armiger, filius natu maximus Samuelis Sandys de Grathuethia generosi, ab antiqua nobilitatis familia oriundi, erexit in perpetuam pulchrae suae sobolis memoriam in ipso vere juventae mortem obeuntis, viz. Samuelis, Bathshebae, Elizabetae, Catherinae, et Mylonis, morti succumbentis decimo nono die Februarii, Anno Domini 1698, aetatis suae nono.""
""Threnodia, in mortis victoriam.
Mors fera terribili vulta pia corda virorum
Concutit; heu! nulli parcit avara manus.
Falce metit, velutense ferox bellator in armis,
Nunc validos juvenes, mox miserosque senes.
Quaque ruit, furibunda ruit: non sanguinis ordo,
Nec virtutis honos fata movere valet.
Nullaqueat differre diem medicina statutum:
Si mors dura jubet, nescit habere ducem.""

evidence:-   descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843) 
source data:-   Guide book, A Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by Rev William Ford, published by Charles Thurnam, Carlisle, by W Edwards, 12 Ave Maria Lane, Charles Tilt, Fleet Street, William Smith, 113 Fleet Street, London, by Currie and Bowman, Newcastle, by Bancks and Co, Manchester, by Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh, and by Sinclair, Dumfries, 1839.
image FD01P016, button  goto source
Page 16:-  "[Hawkshead} ... The church, dedicated to Saint Michael, appears to be of an early age, and stands upon an eminence commanding a prospect of the lake [Esthwaite Water] and valley. ..."

evidence:-   old text:- Martineau 1855
source data:-   Guide book, A Complete Guide to the English Lakes, by Harriet Martineau, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, and by Whittaker and Co, London, 1855; published 1855-76.
image MNU1P029, button  goto source
Page 29:-  "..."
"The parish church of Hawkshead is ancient; its appearance is venerable; and it stands, as a church should do, in full view of the country round,- of the valley in which Esthwaite Water lies. Elizabeth Smith lies buried there; and there is a tablet to her memory in the churchyard. ..."

evidence:-   old photograph:- Bell 1880s-1940s
source data:-   Photograph, black and white, St Michael's Church, Hawkshead, Lancashire, by Herbert Bell, photographer, Ambleside, Westmorland, 1890s.
image  click to enlarge
stamped on reverse:-  "HERBERT BELL / Photograph / AMBLESIDE"
item:-  Armitt Library : ALPS242
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old photograph:- Bell 1880s-1940s
source data:-   Photograph, black and white, St Michael's Church, Hawkshead, Lancashire, by Herbert Bell, photographer, Ambleside, Westmorland, 1890s.
image  click to enlarge
internegative at lower left:-  "H. Bell"
item:-  Armitt Library : ALPS254
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old photograph:- Bell 1880s-1940s
source data:-   Photograph, sepia, St Michael's Church, nave, Hawkshead, Lancashire, by Herbert Bell, photographer, Ambleside, Westmorland, 1890s.
image  click to enlarge
item:-  Armitt Library : ALPS255
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old map:- Nurse 1918
source data:-   Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 2nd edn 1939.
item:-  JandMN : 27
Image © see bottom of page

 stained glass

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Church of St Michael and All Saints
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Church. Late C15 or early C16, north aisle rebuilt 1578, clerestory c.1578, vestry and hearse house c.1793. Stone rubble with slate roof. Single vessel nave and chancel; aisles and chapels under lean-to roofs; west tower and north-west vestry. Tower has west pointed entrance, 2-light single-chamfered- mullioned window above, and straight-headed louvred bell opening; top cornice and embattled parapet with angle pinnacles rebuilt 1875. To south a small window with clock face above, below bell opening. Vestry under lean-to roof to north of tower has 3-light mullioned windows, the mullions rounded, the lights elliptical-headed; segmental-pointed entrance to hearse house below. North aisle has similar windows of 3 lights with label moulds, western bay has entrance with elliptical-head; jambs roll moulded and arch rusticated; gabled porch of 1933. North chapel has east window of 3 lights and 5-light north window similar to those in aisle; western entrance has canted head, roll-mould and flanking hollows and Sandys arms over, with initials: IS, and date: 1578, label mould and small canopy. North clerestory has 4 windows of 3 lights with wooden mullions. Chancel has window of 1893, of 5 lights with Perpendicular tracery. South aisle has 3 straight-headed windows with cusped lights and hollow-chamfered mullions, the 1st of 3 lights with label, the 2nd of 2 lights, the 3rd of 3 lights, the 1st and 3rd probably of 1875. Chapel has pointed entrance, now window and 2-light window with label mould; east 3-light hollow-chamfered mullioned window. Part of cusped window head to left of former entrance. Clerestory has 4 windows of 3 segmental-headed lights. Datestone (possibly renewed) has date 1633 under cable mould (probably date of south windows). Interior has 5-bay arcades, simple segmental arches on round piers, no capitals or bases, all heavily plastered, with whitewash and painted decoration to extradoses and pier heads by J.S. Addison c.1680. Piers to south slightly square. Roof has tie beam and collar trusses; aisles have chamfered principal rafters and purlins, those to north chapel with mouldings. Nave and aisles, have wall paintings: texts in ornamental surrounds; by J. Addison c.1680; some possibly restored by W. Mackreth, 1711, also list of church wardens for that year on intrados in north arcade. Paintings to outer aisle walls and 2 in nave repainted by W. Bolton, 1876, also that to west wall. Wall monuments to nave clerestories. West wall has 2 Rawlinson monuments from church of St Dionis Backchurch, London. Daniel, died 1679 and Sir Thomas, died 1706, both elaborate, with columns, entablatures, cherubs and cartouches. In north chapel a chest tomb, William and Margaret Sandys, with recumbent effigies, dated 1578. Screens to north chapel, east wall panelling, stalls, pulpit, font, 1875. Late C19 stained glass to east and south."


evidence:-   old print:- 
placename:-  Hawkshead Church
source data:-   Print, uncoloured engraving, Hawkshead Church, ie St Michael's Church, Lancashire, published 1870.
image  click to enlarge
On p.78 of Furness, Past and Present. 
printed at bottom:-  "HAWKSHEAD CHURCH."
item:-  Dove Cottage : 2008.107.217
Image © see bottom of page

 ring of bells

 Sentence from scripture

Tayleyor, John ?  1512 -  
Heashagh, John ?  1538 -  
Kirkby, John ? et al  1548 -  
Dickeson, Nicholas ?  1562 -  
Magson, Peter ?  1580 -  1585 -  
Magson, Francis  1616 -  
Kempe, William  1647 -  ? 
Crow, Charles  - Crew, Charles ?  1653 -  ? 
Booth, John  1656 -  ? 
Edmondson, Christopher  1657 -  
Nicholson, Henry  1675 -  
Bell, Thomas  1680 -  
Swainson, Richard  1713 -  
Bordley, William  1720 -  
Harrison, John  1742 -  
Braithwaite, Reginald  1762 -  
Rees, John  1810 -  
Park, George  1813 -  
Law, Patrick Comerford  1829 -  
Cooper, Lovick  1830 -  
Park, George  1834 -  
Greenall, Richard  1865 -  
Allen, John  1875 -  
Oak, Edward William  1892 -  
Irving, Thomas Henry  1909 -  


Described in:-

Butler, Lawrence (ed): 2011: Church Notes of Sir Stephen Glynne for Cumbria, 1833-1872: CWAAS:: ISBN 978 1 873124 52 9
Extracted from the original notes made by Sir Stephen, now in Deiniol's Library, Hawarden, Flintshire, contact through Flintshire Record Office

BSD79.jpg  Organ, by Rushworth and Dreaper, Liverpool, 1965
(taken 16.9.2005)  
BZI18.jpg  Parish chest.
(taken 20.9.2013)  
BZI19.jpg  Parish chest.
(taken 20.9.2013)  
BZI21.jpg  Radiator.
(taken 20.9.2013)  
BZI22.jpg  Radiator, made by G B Wansbrough and Son, Barrow-in-Furness.
(taken 20.9.2013)  
BZI26.jpg (taken 20.9.2013)  
BJV25.jpg  Weathervane in memory of Mervyn E M Sandys of Graythwaite Hall, 1915-95.
(taken 16.9.2005)  
CAR65.jpg (taken 16.5.2014)  

MN photo:-  
A statute 18 Charles II c.4, 1666-67, and a more strictly enforced statute 30 Charles II c.3, 1778-79, were passed to encourage the wool trade by ordering that burial should be in wool.
"... no corpse of any person, except those who shall die of the plague, shall be buried in any shirt, shift, sheet or shroud or anything whatever made or minigled with flax, hemp, silk, hair, gold or silver or in any stuf or thing, other than what is made of sheep's wool only."
An affidavit was made at each burial that the law had been complied with; a penalty of L5 was imposed on the estate of the deceased and anyone connected with the burial.
The acts were repealed by George II, 1814, though it had long been disregarded.
There are more than 200 of the old affidavits in the church safe, dated up to about 1696.

BZK76.jpg  Affidavit, burial in wool.
(taken 29.9.2013)  
"Paroch de Hawksd in Com Lancs."
"Wee Agness Sawrey widow & Dorothy tyson Spinster doe severally make Oath yt ye Corps of Margaret Tyson of Gryzdale in the Parish aboves'd beeing Buryed the first of Aprill 1696 was not put in wrapt wound up or Buryed in any Shirt Sheet Shift or Shroud made or mingled wth Flax Hemp &c. Or any Coffin Lined wth Cloth &c Or any Materiall but what is made of Sheep Wooll only According to a Late Act of Parliamt made for Burying in woollen. In wittness herof wee the saide Agnes Sawrey & Dorothy Tyson have sett our Hands &Seals"
"Capt: et jurat: primus dies Aprilis Ano D~i 1696 Coram me Myles Sandys"
"Agnes Sawrey her [mark] Marke [seal]"
"Dorothy Tyson her [mark] Marke [seal]"

BZV72.jpg  Clock dial, repaired 1845.
(taken 11.2.2014)  courtesy of the Museum of Lakeland Life
The clock chime for each quarter was the same, hence the exhoration to check the dial.

There was a chapel of ease to Furness Abbey on this site in the 12th century. The chapel was rebuilt and enlarged in the 14th century; most of the present building dates from the 15th and 16th centuries, when the north and south aisles were added; the north aisle was rebuilt in 1578. It became a parish church in 1578. The roof was raised and a clerestory added, 1585; the roof was newly slated in 1756; a vestry was added in 1793-94 the church was restored in 1875-76; the north porch was added in 1933.
About 1680 the painting of the church was let to James Addison of Hornby:-
"... for ye sum he askt that is to saye 7li 12sh. 0d. for ye wch he undertakes to wesh ye walls all ouer with lime wch the Churchwardens wd find: then to write ye Sentances in ye Places poynted oute & marked and to border &florish them ..."
Having been painted over, revealed, restored several times over the years, the sentences from scripture were 'authoritively' restored in 1955.

: : church leaflet
Thompson, T W: 1974 (4th end) &1956: Hawkshead Church Chapelry and Parish: Hawkshead PCC

person:-    : Tyson, Margaret
place:-   burial place

person:-    : St Michael
person:-    : All Angels
place:-   Hawkshead / Carlisle Diocese
Became a parish in 1580s, 1585?

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.