button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
St John or St Stephen, Kirkby Stephen
Kirkby Stephen Church
St Stephen's Church
St John's Church
locality:-   Kirkby Stephen
civil parish:-   Kirkby Stephen (formerly Westmorland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church
coordinates:-   NY77510882
1Km square:-   NY7708
10Km square:-   NY70
references:-   : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

BJQ84.jpg (taken 24.7.2005)  
BRG25.jpg (taken 3.8.2009)  

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Wmd 23 15) 
placename:-  St Stephen's Church
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
"St Stephen's Church (Vicarage) / Grave Yard"

evidence:-   old text:- Gents Mag
item:-  Battle of Byland AbbeyWars of Scottish Independenceincursion, 1326
source data:-   Magazine, The Gentleman's Magazine or Monthly Intelligencer or Historical Chronicle, published by Edward Cave under the pseudonym Sylvanus Urban, and by other publishers, London, monthly from 1731 to 1922.
image G7540230, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1754 p.230  "..."
"The church of Kirkby-Stephen is low, and the porch looks like a hole into a hermit's cell; the steeple is square, about 18 yards high, and has four bells ..."
"The steeple is built on limestone rock, and there is a new geometrical stair case turned round a cylindrical column, which leads into a decent gallery at the west end of the church, of good workmanship."
"In the east end near the chancel adjoining to the south wall, is the burying place of the Musgrave family; the inscription runs round the stone."
"Near the middle, betwixt this and the cemetery for the Wharton family, is the effigy in stone of the famous Andrew Herclay, earl of Carlisle, who was"
image G7540231, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1754 p.231  "beheaded by Edward the second, upon pretence of having betray'd the English army at Byland Abbey near York, into the hands of Bruce, king of Scots; Edward himself escaped with great difficulty, and is said to have attainted this nobleman, only to transfer the ignominy of his own misconduct to another, The figure lies at length, with the head supported on a kind of urn or helmet, for 'tis much broken and disfigured, and the feet on a lion, without any inscription, tradition only having preserv'd the name; and his castle in this neighbourhood, though now in ruins, being still called Hecley-castle; to this estate the Musgrave family must have succeeded soon after, as their lease is between 2 and 300 years old, and I think the battle of Byland Abbey is generally fixed to 1326, by the Scotch annals."
"P.S. There is also an isle and vault of the Dalston family, but without any effigies, date, or character."

evidence:-   old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd) 
source data:-   Map, 4 sheets, The County of Westmoreland, scale 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed 1768, and engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
item:-  National Library of Scotland : EME.s.47
Image © National Library of Scotland

evidence:-   old text:- Pennant 1773
placename:-  St Stephen's Church
source data:-   Book, A Tour from Downing to Alston Moor, 1773, by Thomas Pennant, published by Edward Harding, 98 Pall Mall, London, 1801.
image PEN6p123, button  goto source
Pennant's Tour 1773, page 123  "... The place takes its title from the church, which is dedicated to St. Stephen. It belonged to the same Ivo de Tailebois, who bestowed it on the Abbey of York. ..."
image PEN6p124, button  goto source
Pennant's Tour 1773, page 124  "In the church are numbers of monuments: among them is one of a Knight in complete armour, neck alone bare, short hair, gauntlets on his hands; he lies on a fine altar-tomb, with six niches on each side elegantly carved, but at present robbed of the images. This is called the tomb of Sir Andrew de Harcla earl of Carlisle, and once owner of the neighbouring castle of the same name; but it is not probable that such posthumous honours would have been permitted to have been paid to a person who suffered to the utmost rigour the punishment of treason. By the arms it appears to belong to a Musgrave, and possibly to Sir Thomas Musgrave, purchaser of the lands of the forfeited Harcla, and who died in or about the fiftieth year of Edward III."
"A plain altar-tomb of black marble is seen beneath an arch, on which is this inscription:- "Hic jacet Ricardus Musgrave, miles, juxta Elizabetham uxorem ejus, et Thomam filium et haeredem eorem, qui obiit IXo. die Novembris anno Domini MCCCCLXIIII. cujus animae propitietur Deus! Amen." On the arch are the Musgrave arms, supported by a monkey and a pelican. The Lady was daughter of Sir Thomas Betham of Betham, in this county, a family of great antiquity, extinct in the reign of Henry VI."
image PEN6p125, button  goto source
Pennant's Tour 1773, page 125  "On the floor is a stone, with a cross engraven on it, a shield with six annulets, the Musgrave arms, and a sword beneath it. This seems to have belonged to some religious warrior of the name, unless it commemorated a Lowther, who bore the same arms; one of the name possessed the first grant of Harcla, after the death of the unfortunate owner."

evidence:-   old text:- Capper 1808
source data:-   Gazetteer, A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom, compiled by Benjamin Pitts Capper, published by Richard Phillips, Bridge Street, Blackfriars, London, 1808; published 1808-29.
image CAP129, button  goto source
"[Kirkby Stephen] ... The parish church is large and handsome, having a lofty tower, and several ancient monuments; adjoining it a large and elegant parsonage house, ..."

evidence:-   old map:- Nurse 1918
source data:-   Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 2nd edn 1939.
item:-  JandMN : 27
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   site plan:- Historical Monuments 1936
source data:-   Site plan, uncoloured lithograph, The Parish Church of Kirkby Stephen, Westmorland, scale about 1 to 290, published by Royal Commission on Historical Monuments England, London, 1936.
image  click to enlarge
On p.141 of the Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Westmorland. 
RCHME no. Wmd, Kirkby Stephen 1 
item:-  Armitt Library : A745.90
Image © see bottom of page

 stained glass

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Church of St Stephen
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Church of England (probably dedicated to more than one saint originally). Rebuilt c1230 with later additions and alterations. Coursed, squared rubble and some ashlar; plinth (some parts moulded, some chamfered) and various types of buttressing. 7 bay nave has copper sheathed roofs with parapets. Early C16 3 storey west tower has west doorway with continuous chamfered jambs and pointed head in square frame incorporating coats of arms; 3-light window above. Each face has paired bell-openings of 2-lights under ogee gables. Embattled parapet with pinnacles. West wall to north aisle formed part of earlier, C12, building; north wall rebuilt 1871. North transept arm C13 with 2 partly original lancets and a C14 3-light window. Chapels to north and south, chancel and south transept arm all rebuilt 1847 (east end has steeply pitched graduated slate roof with low parapet, stone copings and apex cross). South aisle has four C15 windows with C19 tracery. South porch rebuilt 1871 but south door is early C15 with 2 continuous chamfered orders to jambs and pointed head; consecration cross to right-hand jamb. Internally, much of the original stonework has been reworked or replaced in the C19. Very tall tower arch. Both C13 nave arcades of drum piers on plinths survive (eastern bay narrower than rest) with moulded capitals carrying pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders; some painted decoration survives on south aisle face of the arches. C19 clerestory of 5 windows not aligned with bays. Very wide, low, pointed arch to east end of south aisle. Chancel incorporates C13 trefoil-headed piscina (with restored foliate decoration to bracket) and 3 seat C13 sedilia with gabled trefoiled heads. North chapel has late C16 altar tomb with effigies of 1st Lord Wharton and his 2 wives; children and coats of arms to sides and inscribed panel to end. South chapel has early C15 altar tomb with effigy of Knight (Sir Richard Musgrave, died 1409); C15 altar tomb to Sir Richard Musgrave (died 1464) in recess with foliate gable to south wall. Ornate pulpit constructed from various coloured marbles, c1871; probably a gift of the local Masonic Lodge. Loose fragments from earlier buildings on the site (displayed at west end of nave) include late C12 foliate and historiated capitals, fragments of Anglo-Danish crosses, and remains of a hogback gravestone. C18 sundial (with dated inscription) fitted externally on south side."

evidence:-   old print:- Calverley 1899
item:-  crossBound Devil
source data:-   In the church,
The Bound Devil:- 
image  click to enlarge
Engraving by M Petersen. 
image  click to enlarge
image  click to enlarge
image  click to enlarge
Sketches by W G Collingwood. 
item:-  JandMN : 190
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old print:- Calverley 1899
item:-  hogback gravestone
source data:-   In the church,
image  click to enlarge
Sketch by W G Collingwood. 
item:-  JandMN : 190
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old drawing:- 
item:-  cross
source data:-   Drawing, Anglian Cross head, St John or St Stephen's Church, Kirkby Stephen, Westmorland, by William Gershom Collingwood, 1899.
image  click to enlarge
Sketch of the front and reverse of a cross head with carved decoration of a central boss connected by spines to small basses on the arms. 
Drawn to illustrate Notes on the Early Sculptured Crosses, Shrines and Monuments in the Present Diocese of Carlisle, by Rev William Slater Calverley, published by T Wilson, Kendal 1899; opposite p.223. 
initialled &dated at centre left:-  "W.G.C. 1899"
inscribed at centre bottom:-  "Anglian cross-head, at Kirkby-Stephen"
item:-  Tullie House Museum : 1902.18.13
Image © Tullie House Museum

evidence:-   old drawing:- 
item:-  cross
source data:-   Drawing, Semicylindrical Shaft at Kirkby Stephen Church, St John or St Stephen's Church, Kirkby Stephen, Westmorland, by William Gershom Collingwood, 1899.
image  click to enlarge
Sketch of front and reverse of a fragment of the neck of a cross from which the head and lower part of the shaft have been broken. The former is decorated with a knotted plait, the latter with a plait on each side of which is a spiral scroll band. 
Drawn to illustrate Notes on the Early Sculptured Crosses, Shrines and Monuments in the Present Diocese of Carlisle, by Rev William Slater Calverley, published by T Wilson, Kendal 1899; opposite p.218. 
inscribed & initialled &dated at centre:-  "Semi-cylindrical Shaft at Kirkby-Stephen Church W.G.C. 1899"
item:-  Tullie House Museum : 1902.18.11
Image © Tullie House Museum

evidence:-   old drawing:- 
source data:-   Drawing, Loki, the Devil Bound, Kirkby Stephen, at St John or St Stephen's Church, Kirkby Stephen, Westmorland, by William Gershom Collingwood, about 1899.
image  click to enlarge
Sketch of stone with carved decoration of a horned and bearded man standing with his arms and legs manacled. 
Drawn to illustrate Notes on the Early Sculptured Crosses, Shrines and Monuments in the Present Diocese of Carlisle, by Rev William Slater Calverley, published by T Wilson, Kendal 1899; not used, but see an engraving by M Petersen opposite p.217. 
inscribed at bottom centre:-  "Loki, the Devil Bound, Kirkby-Stephen"
initialled at bottom right:-  "W.G.C."
item:-  Tullie House Museum : 1902.18.4
Image © Tullie House Museum

 ring of bells

 cross slabs

Ferentire, John  1223 -  
Capella, Thomas  1292 -  
Leycester, Thomas de  1304 -  
Rillington, Henry de  1318 -  
Botel, John de  1319 -  
Bowes, John de  1336 -  
Danby, John de  1362 -  
Morland, Peter de  1376 -  
Brudderford, John de  1386 -  
Warcop, Thomas  1422 -  
Vaux, Peter  1562 -  
Wharton, Percival  1563 -  
Swinbank, John  1568 -  
Wetherell, Anthony  1620 -  
Higginson, Francis  1649 -  ? 
Stopford, Joshua Higginson, Francis  1663 -  
Rawlet, John  1673 -  
Shaw, Samuel  1681 -  
Atkinson, John  1699 -  
Atkinson, Carleton  1710 -  
Rycroft, Henry  1734 -  
Hartley, Alderson  1746 -  
Fawcett, William  1755 -  
Chaytor, Henry  1759 -  
Cookson, Thomas  1778 -  
Spooner, Thomas  1806 -  
Williamson, Thomas Pym  1807 -  
Holdsworth, William  1836 -  
Segeantson, Edward  1837 -  
King, Henry  1843 -  
Simpson, James  1863 -  
Feilden, Henry Arbuthnot  1886 -  
Kirkham, Philip H  1910 -  

 sundialSt John or St Stephen, Kirkby Stephen: Wharton Memorial

 Wharton Memorial

Described in:-

Butler, Lawrence (ed): 2011: Church Notes of Sir Stephen Glynne for Cumbria, 1833-1872: CWAAS:: ISBN 978 1 873124 52 9
Extracted from the original notes made by Sir Stephen, now in Deiniol's Library, Hawarden, Flintshire, contact through Flintshire Record Office

BRG20.jpg  Organ.
(taken 3.8.2009)  
BRG21.jpg  Organ.
(taken 3.8.2009)  
BRB79.jpg  Organ pipes.
(taken 17.7.2009)  
CAQ41.jpg  Mothers Union banner.
(taken 9.5.2014)  
BRB80.jpg  Effigy of a knight, Musgrave Family?
(taken 17.7.2009)  
BRB81.jpg  Effigy of a knight, wearing the Musgrave arms.
(taken 17.7.2009)  
BRG24.jpg  Coat of arms, Musgrave, over a memorial
(taken 3.8.2009)  
CAQ40.jpg  Engraved glass.
(taken 9.5.2014)  
CAQ45.jpg  Press cupboard.
(taken 9.5.2014)  
BRG18.jpg  Bushel measure for use in the Lord of Gilsland's market ...
(taken 3.8.2009)  

CAQ39.jpg  11th century Viking carved stone, Loki bound.
(taken 9.5.2014)  

MN photo:-  
On pillars at the back of the church there are shelves for bread to be given to the poor, 18th century.

BRB75.jpg  Bread shelves.
(taken 17.7.2009)  
BRB76.jpg  Bread shelves.
(taken 17.7.2009)  
BRB77.jpg  Bread shelves; the donor named:-
"This Bread Given / by desire of Jos. Nelson / Son of Thos. Nelson Tallow / Chandler in this Town / Who departed this life / June 16th. 1776. Aged 35 years." (taken 17.7.2009)  
BRG19.jpg  Bread shelves; the donor named:-
"The GIFT / of / Mr. ROBERT BARNETT / of LONDON / Gun-maker / Son of William Barnett / late of Kirkby-stephen / 1780" (taken 3.8.2009)  
CAQ46.jpg  Bread shelves.
(taken 9.5.2014)  

There was a saxon church, of which nothing is left but 3 crosses in the churchyard. A norman church was built about 1170, but lasted only half a century. The present church dates from 1220-30; the tower added 1506, rebuilding 1847, clerestory added 1871.

: : church leaflet

person:-    : St John (?)
person:-    : St Stephen (?)
place:-   Kirkby Stephen / Carlisle Diocese

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.