|previous page next page|
Before you leave Kendal, visit the Castle-law-hill. This is an artificial mount, that overlooks the town, and faces the castle, and surpasses it in antiquity, being one of those hills called Laws, where in ancient times distributive justice was administered. From its present appearance, it seems to have been converted to different purposes, but though well situated as a watch upon the castle, it could never be a proper place to batter it from, as has been reported.
Kendal to Lancaster
To Lancaster, by Burton-in-Kendal, is 22 miles. Observe on the
left, before you
An obelisk was erected on the top of this hill, by a subscription
of the inhabitants of Kendal, in 1788, which, seen from almost
every part of the vale, is a handsome object, and being the
centenary of the revolution in 1688, has the following
Sacred to Liberty.
THIS OBELISK WAS ERECTED IN THE YEAR 1788, IN MEMORY OF THE REVOLUTION IN 1688.
(Coccium, Rav. Chor.)- On the edge of the mountain, about a mile
and a half to the north of this town, is a natural curiosity,
called Claythrop-clints, or Curwenwood-kins, which many tourists
would probably like to see. It consists of a large plain of naked
limestone-rock, a little inclined to the horizon, which has
evidently once been one continued calcarious mass, in a state of
softness like that of mud at the bottom of a pond. It is now
deeply rent with a number of fissures, of 6, 8, or 10 inches
wide, just in the form of those which take place in clay or mud
that is dried in the sun. It also exhibits such channels in its
surface, as can only be accounted for by supposing them formed by
the ebbing of copious waters, (probably those of the deluge)
before the matter was become hard. It is five or six hundred
yards in length, and about two hundred in breadth. There are
several other limestone plains of the same kind in the
neighbourhood, but this is the most remarkable and extensive.
In the crevices of the rock, the botanist may meet with the belladonna, or solanum lethale (the deadly nightshade) and some other curious plants.
|-- "Castle Law Hill" -- Castle Howe|
|-- "Claythrop Clints" -- Clawthorpe Fell|
|-- (memorial, Kendal)|
|Lakes Guides menu.|