button to main menu   West's Guide to the Lakes, 1778/1821

button title page
button previous page button next page
Page 187:-
form in the reign of Queen Elizabeth; and in taste of carvings in wood, attempted to outdo his contemporary, Walter Strickland, Esq. of Sizergh. After Bellingham it came to Colonel Graham, and from his daughter, by marriage, to the ancestor of the late noble possessor.[1]
  return to Kendal
Return by Levens-bridge, to Kendal, five miles. Have a new view of the valley, and the east side of the Kent. At the park-gate have a charming view of Sizergh, shewing itself to the morning sun, and appearing to advantage from an elevated site under a bold and wooded back-ground. The tower was built in the reign of Henry III, or Edward I, by Sir William Strickland, who had married Elizabeth, the general heiress of Ralph D'Aincourt. This is evident from an escutcheon cut in stone, on the west side of the tower, and hung cornerwise, D'Aincourt quartering Strickland, three escalop shells, the crest, on a close helmet, a full-topt holly-bush. The same are the arms of the family at this time, and this has been their chief residence ever since.[2]
[1] The Earl of Suffolk.- The gardens belonging to this seat are rather curious, in the old style, and said to have been planned by the gardener of James II, who resided here with Colonel Graham, during some part of the troubles of his royal master.
[2] Sizergh-hall, is a venerable old building, in a pleasant situation, formed like the rest in ancient times, for a place of defence. The tower is a square building, defended by two square turrets and battlements. One of them is over the great entrance, and as a guard-room capable of containing ten or a dozen men with embrazures. The winding stair-case terminates in a turret, which defends the other entrance.
Burn's Westmorland.
button next page
gazetteer links
button -- Levens Park
button -- "Sizergh Hall" -- Sizergh Castle

button to main menu Lakes Guides menu.