button to main menu  Otley's Guide 1823 (5th edn 1834)

button title page
button previous page button next page
Page 111:-
[Arm]both-house, the residence of Mr. Jackson, on the other side of the water, is a good object; but Dalehead Hall, the manorial seat of Mr. Leathes, on this side, is hid by a hill. Having passed the summit, there is a delightful view through the vale of Legberthwaite, with its prolongation of Fornside, and Wanthwaite - together constituting what is commonly called St. John's vale - beyond which the lofty Saddleback, with its furrowed front, closes the scene.
There is a public-house at the King's Head, six miles from Keswick, and a road turns off on the right towards Threlkeld, passing under the massive rock of Green Crag, sometimes called the Castle Rock of St. John's. Near this, a tremendous thunderstorm in 1749, swept away a mill, and buried one of the millstones amongst the ruins, so that it has never yet been discovered.
The Keswick road inclines to the left, and surmounting the cultivated ridge called Castlerigg, there is a full view of Derwent Lake, with part of that of Bassenthwaite, the town and vale of Keswick, with its surrounding mountains. It was here, that Mr. Gray on leaving Keswick, found the scene so enchanting, that he 'had almost a mind to have gone back again.'

Carlisle to Keswick
Tourists from the north, when at Carlisle, may proceed towards the lakes, either by Penrith or Wigton.
gazetteer links
button -- Armboth House
button -- "Green Crag" -- Castle Rock
button -- Castlerigg
button -- Dalehead Hall
button -- King's Head
button -- Ambleside to Keswick
button -- station, Castlerigg
button next page

button to main menu Lakes Guides menu.