button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
Whinfell Park, Brougham
Whinfell Park
civil parish:-   Brougham (formerly Westmorland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   buildings
locality type:-   park
coordinates:-   NY55862871
1Km square:-   NY5528
10Km square:-   NY52

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Wmd 4 10) 
placename:-  Whinfell Park
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
OS County Series (Wmd 4 15) 

evidence:-   old map:- Saxton 1579
placename:-  Whinfeld Forest
source data:-   Map, hand coloured engraving, Westmorlandiae et Cumberlandiae Comitatus ie Westmorland and Cumberland, scale about 5 miles to 1 inch, by Christopher Saxton, London, engraved by Augustinus Ryther, 1576, published 1579-1645.
Fence palings, and trees labelled  "Whinfeld forest"
item:-  private collection : 2
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old map:- Speed 1611 (Cmd) 
source data:-   Map, hand coloured engraving, Cumberland and the Ancient Citie Carlile Described, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by John Speed, 1610, published by J Sudbury and George Humble, Popes Head Alley, London, 1611-12.
outline of fence palings, contains Whinfeld forest; Westmorland 
item:-  private collection : 16
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   probably old map:- Jansson 1646
placename:-  Whinfeld Forest
source data:-   Map, hand coloured engraving, Cumbria and Westmoria, ie Cumberland and Westmorland, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, by John Jansson, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 1646.
Ring of fence palings with trees which are labelled.  "Whinfeld forest"
item:-  JandMN : 88
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old map:- Morden 1695 (Cmd) 
source data:-   Map, uncoloured engraving, Cumberland, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Robert Morden, 1695, published by Abel Swale, the Unicorn, St Paul's Churchyard, Awnsham, and John Churchill, the Black Swan, Paternoster Row, London, 1695-1715.
Ring of fence palings, trees. 
item:-  JandMN : 90
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old text:- Pennant 1773
placename:-  Whinfel Park
item:-  treeoakbirch
source data:-   Book, A Tour from Downing to Alston Moor, 1773, by Thomas Pennant, published by Edward Harding, 98 Pall Mall, London, 1801.
image PEN6p152, button  goto source
Pennant's Tour 1773, page 152  "... Whinfel-park, an ancient appurtenance to the Lords of Brougham-castle. It was in old times covered with vast and venerable oaks; but it now appears a barren waste, here and there shaded with birch trees."

evidence:-   descriptive text:- West 1778 (11th edn 1821) 
placename:-  Whinfield Park
source data:-   Guide book, A Guide to the Lakes, by Thomas West, published by William Pennington, Kendal, Cumbria once Westmorland, and in London, 1778 to 1821.
image WS21P170, button  goto source
Page 170:-  "..."
"... in the environs of Perith ... In Whinfield-park are the Countess-pillar, the White-hart tree, and the Three-brothers' tree; ..."
image WS21P200, button  goto source
Addendum; Mr Gray's Journal, 1769 
Page 200:-  "... Passed ... Whinfield-park, ... crossed the Eden and the Eamont with its green vale, ... [to] Penrith ..."

evidence:-   old text:- Clarke 1787
placename:-  Whinfield Park
source data:-   Guide book, A Survey of the Lakes of Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire, written and published by James Clarke, Penrith, Cumberland, and in London etc, 1787; published 1787-93.
image CL13P005, button  goto source
Page 5:-  "..."
"Since the year 1767 Whinfield-Park has been divided into farms, and these again subdivided; the rabbits destroyed, and the deer circumscribed in narrower bounds; by which means the red deer are much diminished in number. Thus we see a spot of ground, formerly a barren heath, now become rich fruitful land; and what twenty years ago was not worth more than forty pounds a year, now cheaply let for upwards of a thousand, and to add to its advantages, all tythe-free. This immunity was obtained in the year 1775, when as the act obtained for dividing Brougham Moor empowered the Commissioners at the same time to allot to the Rector certain lands in lieu of the tythes both of the new and old inclosures."

evidence:-   probably old text:- Gents Mag
source data:-   Magazine, The Gentleman's Magazine or Monthly Intelligencer or Historical Chronicle, published by Edward Cave under the pseudonym Sylvanus Urban, and by other publishers, London, monthly from 1731 to 1922.
image G825A516, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1825 part 1 p.516  "Compendium of County History. - Westmorland."
"Of the Pearson's of WHINFELL, the learned Dr. John Pearson, Bishop of Chester, was descended. ..."

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.