button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
St Mungo, Caldbeck
St Mungo's Church
Caldbeck Church
St Kentigern's Church
locality:-   Caldbeck
civil parish:-   Caldbeck (formerly Cumberland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church
coordinates:-   NY32543990
1Km square:-   NY3239
10Km square:-   NY33
SummaryText:-   St Mungo is St Kentigern; the diocesan register uses St Mungo, locally it is St Kentigern.
references:-   : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

BLR48.jpg (taken 9.3.2006)  
BLR51.jpg (taken 9.3.2006)  

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Cmd 37 12) 
placename:-  St Mungo's Church
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
"St Mungo's Church (Rectory) / Grave Yard / Gasometer"

evidence:-   descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843) 
placename:-  St Kentigern's Church
source data:-   Guide book, A Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by Rev William Ford, published by Charles Thurnam, Carlisle, by W Edwards, 12 Ave Maria Lane, Charles Tilt, Fleet Street, William Smith, 113 Fleet Street, London, by Currie and Bowman, Newcastle, by Bancks and Co, Manchester, by Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh, and by Sinclair, Dumfries, 1839.
image FD01P096, button  goto source
Page 96:-  "[Caldbeck] ... The church, standing on the brink of the Caldbeck, is a very ancient structure, dedicated to Saint Kentigern, and bearing date 1ll2 (sic). ..."

evidence:-   old map:- Nurse 1918
source data:-   Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 2nd edn 1939.
item:-  JandMN : 27
Image © see bottom of page

 stained glass

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Church of St Kentigern
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Parish church. C12 and C13 with alterations of 1512 and 1727, with 1880 restoration by C.J. Ferguson and 1932 restoration by J.F. Martindale. Large blocks of mixed sandstone; tower of limestone with flush sandstone quoins. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and cross finial. 3-storey square west tower; 6-bay nave with north and south aisles and south porch; 2-bay chancel with south vestry. Tower is medieval up to string course with small round-arched window; upper storey is dated by internal inscription THIS STEEPLE WAS BUILDED IN THE YEAR 1727, with louvred round-arched openings under battlemented parapet. Aisles have 2-light 1932 windows with trefoil heads under hoodmoulds based on one original in the east wall of south aisle. 2- and 3-light clerestory windows are also of 1932. Porch has reused Norman arch with beakhead carving at front and zigzags behind. Chancel has 2 original lancet windows and a lower squint. 5-light east window has weathered inscription to John Whelpdale who rebuilt the chancel in 1512. South wall has 4-light window over early C16 chantry chapel, now vestry. Interior of tower has broad newel staircase. First floor opening into nave has Norman zigzag arch stones, moved there in 1932. Porch has medieval graveslab attached to wall and holy-water stoup recess. Nave has 6-bay arcades of round and hexagonal columns which do not fit exactly the pointed arches. C14 hexagonal font in baptistry. C13 piscina in south wall of aisle. Royal Arms of George IV at west end and painted wall text of 1731. Open timber ceiling of 1932. High openings in east wall of nave are original. Chancel has timber roof of 1880. East window by Wailes 1867. c13 graveslab of Thomas de Bray. Blocked priest's door in south wall. See Reverend F.B. Swift, A History of Caldbeck Church, 1980."

evidence:-   old print:- 
placename:-  St Kentigern's Church
item:-  religion
source data:-   Print, lithograph, St Kentigern's Church, or St Mungo's, Caldbeck, 1960s-70s?
image  click to enlarge
printed at lower right:-  "ST. KENTIGERN'S CHURCH, CALDBECK"
item:-  Dove Cottage : 2008.107.522
Image © Wordsworth Trust, Grasmere

 ring of bells

 cross slab gravestones

 scratch dial

BOT29.jpg  Rebuilding plans, 1932.
(taken 1.3.2008)  
BLR49.jpg  Painted panel:-
"This Steeple was builded in the year 1727. / Jeff: Wybergh Rect: / Thomas Backhouse. / Richard Addison. / Richard Bewley. / William Scott. / Church-wardens. / 1727." (taken 9.3.2006)  
BLR50.jpg  Coat of arms, George IV.
(taken 9.3.2006)  
BVD45.jpg  Mothers Union banner.
(taken 5.8.2011)  
BPU50.jpg  Chest.
(taken 7.11.2008)  
BPU49.jpg  The porch arch, this was the chancel arch of an earlier building.
(taken 7.11.2008)  
CBC95.jpg  The porch arch.
(taken 17.7.2014)  
BOT27.jpg  Detail of the moulding on the porch arch.
(taken 1.3.2008)  
CBC96.jpg  The porch arch, detail
(taken 17.7.2014)  
BVD46.jpg  Cross base.
(taken 5.8.2011)  

MN photo:-  
John Peel, huntsman of Ruthwaite, is buried here, his gravestone decorated with hunting horns and whips. He died after a hunting accident, 13 November 1854, age 78.

BLR86.jpg  John Peel's gravestone.
(taken 24.3.2006)  
BLR87.jpg  John Peel's gravestone.
(taken 24.3.2006)  
BLR88.jpg  John Peel's gravestone.
(taken 24.3.2006)  

CDY65.jpg  'The Roughton Stone',
(taken 18.9.2015)  
Grindstone from Roughtongill Mines, placed here as a memorial to miners buried in this churchyard.

The earliest known stone church on this site was built about 1118, associated with a hospice for travellers nearby. The only remains of this norman building are a wall with a leper's window, north side of the chancel.
The church was built about 1130-50; enlarged early 13th century; some rebuilding about the 15th century; chancel rebuilt and the vestry added, early 16th century; tower built 1727. Following 'unsightly and unfortunate disfigurements' which had occurred in the 17th and early 18th centuries, a restoration was decided upon about 1880, under the architect Charles F Ferguson; there were further improvement to fittings in 1895; and restoration was completed under J F Martindale, architect, 1932-33.

Swift, F D: 2005 (reprint) &1980: History of St Kentigern's Church Caldbeck

person:-   huntsman
 : Peel, John
person:-    : Harrison, MatuRobinson, MaryBeauty of Buttermere
person:-    : Bray, Thomas de
person:-    : Boydell, James
place:-   burial place

person:-    : St MungoSt Kentigern
place:-   Caldbeck / Carlisle Diocese

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.