button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
St Mary, Dalton-in-Furness
St Mary's Church
Dalton-in-Furness Church
locality:-   Dalton-in-Furness
civil parish:-   Dalton Town with Newton (formerly Lancashire)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church
coordinates:-   SD22577388
1Km square:-   SD2273
10Km square:-   SD27
references:-   : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

BUT60.jpg (taken 18.6.2011)  
BUT36.jpg (taken 18.6.2011)  

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Lan 16 13) 
placename:-  St Mary's Church
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
"St. Mary's Church (Vicarage) / Grave Yard"

evidence:-   old text:- Capper 1808
item:-  organ
source data:-   Gazetteer, A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom, compiled by Benjamin Pitts Capper, published by Richard Phillips, Bridge Street, Blackfriars, London, 1808; published 1808-29.
image CAP119, button  goto source
"[Dalton-in-Furness] ... The church is an ancient building, but very neat, and has lately received the addition of an organ, erected by subscription. ..."

evidence:-   descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843) 
source data:-   Guide book, A Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by Rev William Ford, published by Charles Thurnam, Carlisle, by W Edwards, 12 Ave Maria Lane, Charles Tilt, Fleet Street, William Smith, 113 Fleet Street, London, by Currie and Bowman, Newcastle, by Bancks and Co, Manchester, by Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh, and by Sinclair, Dumfries, 1839.
image FD01P006, button  goto source
Page 6:-  "... [Dalton]"
"... The church, dedicated to our Lady, has since 1835 been nearly rebuilt. ..."

evidence:-   old map:- Nurse 1918
source data:-   Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 2nd edn 1939.
item:-  JandMN : 27
Image © see bottom of page

 stained glass, all

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Church of St Mary
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Church on site of earlier church. 1882-5. By Paley and Austin. Snecked red sandstone with ashlar dressings, graduated green slate roof. 6-bay nave with separately-roofed aisles; 3-stage tower over west end of nave, porches to north and south; 2-bay chancel with north vestry and south chapel. Gothic Revival style with Decorated tracery. Chamfered plinth; iron gutter brackets; chequerwork to parapets, over the porches and over east and west windows; roll-moulded copings to the gables and parapets. South aisle: offset buttresses to east end and between 2 pairs of 4-light windows having differing tracery, pointed arches and hoodmoulds. South porch (now opening into church centre of 1980) is hexagonal and vaulted: buttresses at each angle; moulded inner doorway with ballflowers; parapet. North aisle is longer having an extra bay to east with organ chamber lit by lozenge windows; adjacent 3-light aisle window (reused from earlier church) has taller, yellow sandstone surround and hoodmould with head-carved stops. Stack to east gable of aisle. North porch is 3-sided with enriched arch, buttresses and ashlar roof. Nave west window, in base of tower, is of 3-lights with stepped transom; chequer panel and traceried, square window above. Tower: setback buttresses flank louvred, 3-light belfry openings with pointed arches and hoodmoulds set within flushwork panels; string course beneath embattled parapet; octagonal vice to south-west corner rises higher. Chancel is under same roofline as nave: offset buttresses flank 6-light east window having 2 King mullions linked by transom, ogee-headed lights, cusped hexafoil and hoodmould. Gable has slit and apex cross. South chapel: small, semi-octagonal projection between 2 pairs of 2-light windows (reused from earlier church and of yellow sandstone); 2-light window to east; parapet to lean-to roof; square, quatrefoiled windows to the chancel. North vestry: ogee-headed door under round arch; traceried cross-window; 2-light east window."
"INTERIOR: western bay of nave, beneath tower, has arches to 3 sides springing from polygonal-based piers; half arches to the aisles. 5-bay arcades with octagonal piers, moulded capitals, double-chamfered arches and linked hoodmoulds. Broad, moulded chancel arch against which are a flying buttress across east end of north aisle and a pointed arch to the organ chamber. 2 arches into south chapel. Sedilia; carved reredos with alabaster insets. Nave and chancel have a barrel ceiling with bow-string trusses; those to the chancel with tracery and ogee-headed openings. C14 font beneath tower with crozier on shield and 7 pairs of shields on the other sides. c1885 semi-octagonal wooden pulpit on base corbelled from chancel-arch pier (gift of Edward Wadham of Millwood). Stained glass: C15 fragments in north porch. Mid-late C19 glass includes: north-aisle window, the gift of Henry Schneider in memory of his wife Augusta (d.1862); east window given by the Duke of Devonshire in memory of his son Lord Frederick Cavendish; 2 windows in south aisle by Shrigley and Hunt of Lancaster; Baldwin memorial windows in south chapel, c1870. Monuments: various C19 wall monuments at west end of aisles. In south chapel are several to the Baldwin and Atkinson families: to Eliz. Baldwin d.1848 by W Audby of York; to Wm Atkinson d.1821 by Webster of Kendal. Paley and Austin built this, 'one of their most spectacular churches' (Pevsner), on the impressive site of the former parish church, cleared away in 1883. The cost of "11,553 defrayed by the Duke of Devonshire, the Duke of Buccleuch and others. The new church re-established the importance of Dalton following the formation of the Borough of Barrow in Furness with its many new places of worship. [bullet] Dent E: The Parish Church: Dalton in Furness, A History: 1985- [bullet] Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Lancashire: London: 1969-: 111-112 [bullet] Walton J E: Dalton in Furness in Old Picture Postcards: Netherlands: 1983-: 36-39"

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Graveslab on plinth. 1802, restored 1895 by Miles of Ulverston (Ayre). Slate slab on limestone plinth. Slab bears short Latin inscription to George Romney died 15.11.1802. Moulded plinth reads 'THIS MEMORIAL WAS RESTORED BY JOHN ORDE ROMNEY OF WHITESTOCK HALL IN THIS COUNTY IN THE YEAR OF OUR LORD 1895'. George Romney was born nearby at Beckside on 15.12.1734 and became 3rd of the fashionable portrait painters in the time of Reynolds and Gainsborough. (Walton J E: Dalton in Furness in Old Picture Postcards: Netherlands: 1983-: PL 42; Waterhouse E: Dictionary of British C18 Painters in Oils and Crayons: 1981-: 317-318; Rev Canon Ayre: North Lonsdale Magazine: Ulverston: 1896-: 59)."

 ring of bells

evidence:-   old print:- Jopling 1843
item:-  font
source data:-   Print, font at St Mary's Church, Dalton-in-Furness, Lancashire, by Charles M Jopling, published by Whittaker and Co, Ave Maria Lane, London and by Stephen Soulby, Ulverston, Cumberland, 1843.
image  click to enlarge
On p.32 of a Sketch of Furness and Cartmel, by Charles M Jopling. 
item:-  Armitt Library : A1636.8
Image © see bottom of page

Gilbert of Dalton  1181 - 1185 
Norhampton, William de  1198 -  
Cockerham, William  1331 -  before 
Spoffort, Richard  1423 -  before 
Hartington, Robert  1473 -  before 
Pele, Roger  - Pyle, Roger ?  1547 -  before 
Wright, Roland 
Leis, James  1558 -  
Gardiner, Richard 
Bowett, William  1617 -  
Tomlinson, Richard  1631 -  
Whitehead, Thomas  1662 -  
Turner, Anthony  1663 -  
Lodge, William 
Walker, John  1756 -  
Cowperthwaite, Christopher  1772 -  
Kirkbank, Joseph  1823 -  
Morgan, James Morrison  1849 -  
Byard, Frank  1898 -  
Leonard, John G  1895 -  

BUT59.jpg (taken 18.6.2011)  


Described in:-

Butler, Lawrence (ed): 2011: Church Notes of Sir Stephen Glynne for Cumbria, 1833-1872: CWAAS:: ISBN 978 1 873124 52 9
Extracted from the original notes made by Sir Stephen, now in Deiniol's Library, Hawarden, Flintshire, contact through Flintshire Record Office

BMO43.jpg  Coat arms.
(taken 10.7.2006)  
BUT37.jpg  Parish chest,
"17 M D 20" (taken 18.6.2011)  
BUT38.jpg  Organ, by Ainscough, Preston.
(taken 18.6.2011)  
BUT41.jpg "AINSCOUGH / ORGAN BUILDER / PRESTON." (taken 18.6.2011)  
CEI93.jpg "Font, from Furness Abbey." (taken 20.11.2015)  
CEI92.jpg "Mothers Union banner." (taken 20.11.2015)  
CEI94.jpg "Banner." (taken 20.11.2015)  
CEI95.jpg "War memorial plaque." (taken 20.11.2015)  
BUT39.jpg  Memorial to William Atkinson, died 1821.
(taken 18.6.2011)  
CEI96.jpg  Coat of arms, on Atkinson memorial.
(taken 20.11.2015)  

BUT42.jpg  The old church before demolition, 1883; and the school.
(taken 18.6.2011)  

The church here is mentioned in a deed of Furness Abbey, 1181, but may predate the abbey itself, perhaps as early as the mid 11th century. The church was rebuilt in 1882-83, Paley and Austin the architects.

: : church leaflet
Dent, Geoffrey &Dent, Eileen: 2007: History of St Mary's Church and Parish Dalton-in-Furness

Paley and Austin series
person:-   architect
 : Paley, Edward G
person:-   architect
 : Austin, Hubert J
date:-   1883
 to 1885
New church in a free decorated style.

person:-   artist
 : Romney, George
place:-   burial place

BUT33.jpg "Geogius Romney Armiger / Pictor Celeberrimus / Obiit Nov. 15 1802 / ..."  

person:-    : St Mary
place:-   Dalton in Furness / Carlisle Diocese

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.