button to main menu   Ford's Description of the Lakes, 1839/1843

button title page
button previous page button next page
Page 6:-
of Furness - flourishing, from its neighbourhood to the rich and mitred Abbey of Saint Mary. The square tower of its castle overlooks the town, giving an air of dignity to the single street which forms its spacious market-place. The church, dedicated to our Lady, has since 1835 been nearly rebuilt. Dalton would, however, attract but few visitors, were it not from the same cause that formerly gave it opulence. The ruins of the once magnificent abbey still draw the pilgrim of taste - the lover of contemplation - and the artist is search of broken pillars and ivied walls.

  Furness Abbey
Was first planted at Tulket, in Amouridness, in the year 1124; three years after which, on the 1st of July, 1127, it was translated and founded by Stephen, Earl of Bologne and Morton, (afterwards king of England,) in the vale of Beckansgill, or the Glen of Deadly Night shade. He brought monks from Savigny in Normandy, endowing them with the lordship of Furness and other extensive privileges. They, however, having fallen from their first estate of Benedictine simplicity and purity of manners, submitted after some hesitation to a reform in their discipline, and by taking the rules of St. Bernard became Cistercians, the rules of which order they observed until the general dissolution. It then shared the fate of its compeers, when its revenues were valued at
gazetteer links
button -- "Dalton" -- Dalton-in-Furness
button -- Furness Abbey
button -- St Mary's Church
button -- "Vale of Beckansgill" -- Vale of Nightshade
button next page

button to main menu Lakes Guides menu.