button to main menu   Ford's Description of the Lakes, 1839/1843

button title page
button previous page button next page
Page 7:-
£905 16s. according to Dugdale, or £966 7s. according to Speed.
Its ruins consist of the conventual church, the chapter-house, and school-house, which occupy a space of about sixty-five acres, secluded in a deep glen, which nevertheless opens out below into an expanse of fertile meadows, irrigated by a murmuring brook, and screened by a forests of stately timber. The style of its architecture is a mixture of Norman and early English. The nave is supported by fine massy clustered piers, from which spring circular arches of massy deep mouldings. The transept is distinguished by long elegant lancets, and the chancel has been a specimen of more decorated workmanship, having four beautiful sedilia on its southern side. The tower, low and square, has been supported by four magnificent arches, of which only one remains entire; they appear to have rested upon finely clustered piers. The chapter-house, a noble room of sixty feet by forty-five, had a vaulted roof formed of twelve ribbed arches, springing from six pillars in two rows, fourteen feet distant from each other. The roof has now fallen in.
The inside length of the church, from east to west, is two hundred and seventy-five feet; the length of the transept, from north to south, is one hundred and thirty feet; the width of the nave is sixty-five feet; whilst that of the choir is only twenty-eight feet.
The finest view of these interesting ruins is from
gazetteer links
button -- Furness Abbey
button next page

button to main menu Lakes Guides menu.