button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Scarness
parish Bassenthwaite parish, once in Cumberland
county:- Cumbria
building/s; locality; promontory
coordinates:- NY220306
10Km square:- NY23

1Km square NY2230

old map:- Ford 1839 map

Map of the Lake District, published in A Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, 1839.
thumbnail FD02NY23, button to large image
Scarness

placename:- Scarness
county:- Cumberland
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

old text:- Clarke 1787

Guide book, A Survey of the Lakes of Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire, by James Clarke, Penrith, Cumberland, and in London etc, 1787 and 1789; and Plans of the Lakes ... 1793.
Page 97:-
...
A little below this is Scarnhouse, very beautiful promontory, whose end juts into the Lake; on it are two or three good houses, the principle of which belongs to Mr Wane, a gentleman who goes a hunting three times a week in that season, if the weather is favourable, and often on foot; he runs stoutly when the dogs are in full cry, though he is 87 years of age: he is one proof of the salutary air, and healthful diet, of this county; and was remarkable for his breed of otter hounds, one of which being sold to Salisbury found its way home again. ...
Page 98:-
...
We return now to Scarnhouse, by West called Scareness: in the parish register, &c. it is called Scarnhouse, and the inhabitants say it received its name thus: All the ground below the road to the Lake was stinted cow-pasture, and upon this hill the cows were always milked; the owners of them kept a person called a Cowherd, who collected them at this place twice-a-day, for which he had one shilling a head for the year; and in time the cows were taught to come by the sounding of a horn (a custom used in many places in this county to this day.) The herd built himself a little hut where he slept, and at a certain hour every morning and evening blew his horn, at which signal both the milk-maids and cows used to come.
Scarn, in the Cumberland dialect, is cow-dung, and is not applied to any other kind of excrement which is called muck: The cows, coming so much about the herd's house, covered the ground near it with scarn, that the milk-maids could not easily walk among it; hence, out of contempt, they called the house Scarn-House, a name it bears to this day. ...

placename:- Scarnhouse
other name:- Scarn House
person:- : Wane, Mr
date:- 1787
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

old map:- Clarke 1787 map (Bassenthwaite Lake)

Map series, lakes and roads to the Lakes, by James Clarke, engraved by S J Neele, 352 Strand, London, included in A Survey of the Lakes of Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire, published by James Clarke, Penrith, and in London etc, from 1787 to 1793.
thumbnail CL8NY23F, button to large image
Scarnhouse

placename:- Scarnhouse
house
date:- 1787
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

old map:- West 1784 map

A Map of the Lakes in Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire, now Cumbria, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, engraved by Paas, 53 Holborn, London, included in the Guide to the Lakes by Thomas West, published by William Pennington, Kendal, Westmorland, and in London, from the 3rd edition 1784, to 1821.
image Ws02NY23, button   goto source.
thumbnail Ws02NY23, button to large image

placename:- Scareness
headland
county:- Cumberland

old map:- Crosthwaite 1783-94 (Bas)

Series of maps, An Accurate Map of the Matchless Lake of Derwent, of the Grand Lake of Windermere, of the Beautiful Lake of Ullswater, of Broadwater or Bassenthwaite Lake, of Coniston Lake, of Buttermere, Crummock and Loweswater Lakes, and Pocklington's Island, by Peter Crosthwaite, Kendal, Cumberland now Cumbria, 1783 to 1794.
thumbnail CT6NY23A, button to large image
Mr. Jos. Turner's
At Scarness.
house
person:- : Turner, Joseph
date:- 1783=1794
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s; 1790s

old map:- Crosthwaite 1783-94 (Bas)

Series of maps, An Accurate Map of the Matchless Lake of Derwent, of the Grand Lake of Windermere, of the Beautiful Lake of Ullswater, of Broadwater or Bassenthwaite Lake, of Coniston Lake, of Buttermere, Crummock and Loweswater Lakes, and Pocklington's Island, by Peter Crosthwaite, Kendal, Cumberland now Cumbria, 1783 to 1794.
thumbnail CT6NY23A, button to large image
Mr. John Fishers
At Scarness.
house
person:- : Fisher, John
date:- 1783=1794
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s; 1790s

old map:- Crosthwaite 1783-94 (Bas)

Series of maps, An Accurate Map of the Matchless Lake of Derwent, of the Grand Lake of Windermere, of the Beautiful Lake of Ullswater, of Broadwater or Bassenthwaite Lake, of Coniston Lake, of Buttermere, Crummock and Loweswater Lakes, and Pocklington's Island, by Peter Crosthwaite, Kendal, Cumberland now Cumbria, 1783 to 1794.
thumbnail CT6NY23A, button to large image
Scarness

placename:- Scarness
area
date:- 1783=1794
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s; 1790s

descriptive text:- West 1778 (11th edn 1821)

Guide book, A Guide to the Lakes, by Thomas West, published by William Pennington, Kendal, Cumbria once Westmorland, and in London, 1778 to 1821.
image WS21P121, button   goto source.
Page 121:-
... On the eastern shore, the lake [Bassenthwaite] retires behind a peninsula, that rushes far into the water, and on its extreme point, a solitary oak, waving to every wind, is most picturesque. This is Scareness.

placename:- Scareness
date:- 1778
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

old map:- Ogilby 1675 (plate 96)

Road book, Britannia, strip road maps, with sections in Westmorland and Cumberland etc, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, by John Ogilby, London, 1675; and a general map of England and Wales.
image OG96m035, button   goto source.
thumbnail OG96m035, button to large image
In mile 35, Cumberland.
Turning left:-
to Scarwell

placename:- Scarwell
date:- 1675
period:- 17th century, late; 1670s

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Scarness -- Bassenthwaite -- Cumbria / -- Fungus on oak tree by path to St Bega's Church. -- 17.12.2008
tiny photograph, 
button to large Scarness -- Bassenthwaite -- Cumbria / -- Fungus on oak tree by path to St Bega's Church. -- 17.12.2008

button   Scarness Bay, Bassenthwaite
button   Scarness Cottage, Bassenthwaite
button   Scarness Dower House, Bassenthwaite
button   station, Scarness
button   trig point, NY2214430783

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.