button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
meeting house, Mosedale
Mosedale Meeting House
locality:-   Mosedale
civil parish:-   Mungrisdale (formerly Cumberland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   meeting house
locality type:-   quaker meeting
locality type:-   chapel
locality type:-   quaker burial ground
locality type:-   burial ground
coordinates:-   NY35683223
1Km square:-   NY3532
10Km square:-   NY33

BLP62.jpg (taken 4.2.2006)  
BLP63.jpg  Over the door:-
"1702 FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE" (taken 4.2.2006)  

evidence:-   text:- 
placename:-  Mosedale Meeting House
source data:-   : : Quaker Administrative History "MOSEDALE, Cumb, after 1974 Cumbr ... NY356327"
"1668-1831 ... Caldbeck MM"
"1831-1864 ... Carlisle MM"
"1977- ... Carlisle &Holm MM"

evidence:-   old map:- Backhouse 1773
placename:-  Mosedale meeting
source data:-   Map, hand coloured engraving, Map of the Meetings belonging to the Quarterly Meetings of Lancaster, Westmorland, Cumberland, Northumberland, Durham and York, scale about 9 miles to 1 inch, by James Backhouse, engraved by Thomas Kitchin, published by James Backhouse, Darlington, Durham, 1773.
labelled:-  "Mosedale / 0.5"
meeting day Thursday 
item:-  private collection : 224
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843) 
source data:-   Guide book, A Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by Rev William Ford, published by Charles Thurnam, Carlisle, by W Edwards, 12 Ave Maria Lane, Charles Tilt, Fleet Street, William Smith, 113 Fleet Street, London, by Currie and Bowman, Newcastle, by Bancks and Co, Manchester, by Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh, and by Sinclair, Dumfries, 1839.
image FD01P095, button  goto source
Page 95:-  "... Mossdale, where there is a Quakers' meeting-house, at the foot of Carrick Fell, is not more pleasantly situated than Grisdale; indeed, the tourist now comes upon a portion of country wild and desolate in the extreme, ..."

evidence:-   drawing:- Butler 1978
placename:-  Mosedale Meeting House
source data:-   Mosedale Meeting House drawn by David Butler and published in Quaker Meeting Houses of the Lake Counties by David M Butler, by the Friends Historical Society, 1978
courtesy of David Butler
image  click to enlarge
image  click to enlarge
item:-  private collection : 377
Images © Friends Historical Society

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
item:-  date stone (1702)
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Friends' Meeting House/tearoom, with adjoining stables. On C17 site, rebuilding dated over entrance 1702 with C19 inscription FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE; 1970's extension. Partly rendered mixed limestone and slate rubble, stables with flush sandstone quoins. Graduated greenslate roofs. Single-storey 3-bay meeting house with C20 single-bay extension under common roof; C18 right-angled extension to right and lower stable to left, making overall L-shape. Facade to road has plank door in chamfered surround. Stable has plank door to right and small opening to left. Rear of meeting house has 2-light stone-mullioned windows, with matching window in C20 extension and similar contemporary window in side wall of the C18 extension. Interior retains much of its original fitting although used as a tearoom. C18 benches, wooden panelling behind railed minister's gallery. Roof trusses supported on 2 sandstone columns. Windows retain chains for pulling up internal shutters from the outside. Meetings were discontinued in 1913 and it was used as a Church of England chapel from 1936-1970. See David Butler, Quaker Meeting Houses of the Lake Counties, 1978 pp73-76, plans and drawings."

BVD96.jpg  Burial ground,
(taken 9.8.2011)  
BVD97.jpg  Burial ground, gate
(taken 9.8.2011)  

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.