button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
Jesus Church, Troutbeck
Jesus Church
Troutbeck Church
locality:-   Troutbeck
civil parish:-   Lakes (formerly Westmorland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church
coordinates:-   NY41300280
1Km square:-   NY4102
10Km square:-   NY40
references:-   : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

BJS57.jpg (taken 17.8.2005)  
BSF94.jpg (taken 9.3.2010)  

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Wmd 26 16) 
placename:-  Jesus' Church
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
"Jesus' Church (Per Curacy)"

evidence:-   old text:- Martineau 1855
source data:-   Guide book, A Complete Guide to the English Lakes, by Harriet Martineau, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, and by Whittaker and Co, London, 1855; published 1855-76.
image MNU1P035, button  goto source
Page 35:-  "... the chapel, which was consecrated in 1562, and thoroughly repaired in 1828. It is one of the small churches that, with their square tower and bell, look and sound so well in the dales. This one seats 160 worshippers."

evidence:-   old photograph:- Bell 1880s-1940s
source data:-   Photograph, sepia, Jesus Church, Troutbeck, Westmorland, by Herbert Bell, photographer, Ambleside, Westmorland, 1890s.
image  click to enlarge
internegative at lower right:-  "H. Bell"
item:-  Armitt Library : ALPS415
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old map:- Nurse 1918
source data:-   Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 2nd edn 1939.
item:-  JandMN : 27
Image © see bottom of page

 stained glass

 notes about kneelers

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Jesus Church
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"JESUS CHURCH / / / LAKES / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 452845 / NY4130802796"
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Parish church of 1562 with tower of 1736, remodelled mid C19."
"MATERIALS: Slate-stone rubble with freestone dressings, slate roof."
"PLAN: Nave and chancel under a single roof, with west tower."
"EXTERIOR: The tower is 3 stages, unbuttressed and with embattled parapet incorporating raised merlons at the angles. The lower stage has a segmental-headed doorway under a rubble-stone head, with boarded doors, and date tablet above it. In the second stage are triple-round-headed lights under a relieving arch, and in the upper stage are simple square-headed bell openings with louvres, and a clock on the west and south faces (dated 1867). On the north side is an added lean-to service room. The main body of the church is C16 fabric but in plain C19 Gothic style. It has 6 pointed windows in the south wall and 7 in the north wall, and a 5-light Perpendicular east window. A south priest's doorway has a studded door with strap hinges of c1820s, and incorporates a horizontal sliding vent."
"INTERIOR: Nave and chancel are a unified space. The tie-beam roof has diagonal struts and 2 purlins each side, and is probably of 1562. There is a boarded door to the nave from the tower base, in a chamfered wooden frame with segmental head. The C18 fielded-panel gallery door, with overdoor, is above it. Walls are plastered. Floors are paved with stone and there are raised floorboards below pews."
"PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: The west gallery, probably C18, has a panelled front and is carried on chamfered posts. The stairs, which has a newel with acorn finial, and balusters closed by later boarding, is in the tower base and is possibly earlier. Above the gallery is a Royal Arms of 1737 painted on boards. The font, a shallow octagonal bowl on a tall stem, is probably C20. Mid C19 benches have shaped ends, some of which are numbered and others are labelled 'free'. The late C19 polygonal freestone pulpit has blind traceried panels. In the chancel are Jacobean stalls, communion rail, and dado made up of arched and lozenge panels brought from Calgarth Hall, Windermere. The east window is by Morris &Co, designed by William Morris, Edward Burne-Jones and Ford Madox Brown (1873). One north window (c1897) is in pre- Raphaelite style but is unsigned."
"HISTORY: Said to have been consecrated in 1562 and with a west tower added in 1736. Dates of C19 repair and remodelling are uncertain. It is said by Pevsner to have been repaired in 1828 (the priest's doorway is approximately of this date) and restored in 1879, but the date of the remodelling of the nave and chancel is also said to be c1850 in the church guide."
"N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Cumberland and Westmorland, 1967, p 294."
"Guide kept in church."
"REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: Jesus Church, Troutbeck, is designated at Grade II[star] for the following principal reasons: [bullet] It is a small rural church which, although it has a plain C19-Gothic external character, is a rare church of Elizabethan origin, retaining its original roof, and has a most unusual C18 tower of a strong vernacular character. [bullet] There is interior woodwork of special interest, notably the west gallery with C18 stair, re-used Jacobean woodwork in the chancel, and C18 Royal Arms. [bullet] The 1873 east window is by Morris &Co, one of the leading stained-glass making firms of the later C19."

 ring of bells

Described in:-

Butler, Lawrence (ed): 2011: Church Notes of Sir Stephen Glynne for Cumbria, 1833-1872: CWAAS:: ISBN 978 1 873124 52 9
Extracted from the original notes made by Sir Stephen, now in Deiniol's Library, Hawarden, Flintshire, contact through Flintshire Record Office

BJS62.jpg  Coat of arms, George II, 1737.
(taken 17.8.2005)  
BYB04.jpg  Chest.
(taken 3.4.2013)  
BSF99.jpg  Chest, lock.
(taken 9.3.2010)  
BYB05.jpg  Chest, lock
(taken 3.4.2013)  

BSG01.jpg  Old picture of the church, and children playing.
(taken 9.3.2010)  
BVX99.jpg  Earlier church?
(taken 17.2.2012)  

There was a chapel of ease to Windermere here in 1506 and probably earlier. In 1562 it was rebuilt and the licence for consecration from the Bishop of Chester was for:-
"... the said Chappel oratory or place appointed for prayer called for the honour thereof by the name of Jesus."
It was licensed for christenings and burials in 1563. The whole was taken down and rebuilt in 1735-36. There was considerable restoration in 1861.

: : church leaflet

One incumbent here in the 19th century was Parson Sewell.

person:-    : JesusChrist
place:-   Troutbeck / Carlisle Diocese

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.