button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Conishead Priory
other name:- Paradise of Furness
parish Ulverston parish, once in Lancashire
county:- Cumbria
building/s; religious house; temple; garden; hospital
coordinates:- SD30407582
10Km square:- SD37

1Km square SD3075

photograph

Conishead Priory -- Ulverston -- Cumbria / -- 6.7.2007
photograph

Conishead Priory -- Ulverston -- Cumbria / -- 6.7.2007

old print:- Bemrose 1881

thumbnail BEM104, button to large image
Print, uncoloured, Conishead Priory, Ulverston, Lancashire, published by Bemrose and Sons, 23 Old Bailey, London and Derby, by A B Moss, Carlisle, Cumberland, and by T Wilson, Kendal, Westmorland, about 1881.
On p.11 of a Handy Guide to the English Lakes and Shap Spa.
printed at bottom:-
CONISHEAD PRIORY.

placename:- Conishead Priory
date:- 1881
period:- 19th century, late

advertisement:- Black 1856 (16th edn 1884)

Guide book, Black's Guide to the English Lakes, published by Adam and Charles Black, North Bridge, Edinburgh, Lothian, Scotland, or Soho Square, London, 1856 to 1900s onwards.
thumbnail BC10Ad02, button to large image
date:- 1884
period:- 19th century, late; 1880s

old map:- Garnett 1850s-60s H

Map of the English Lakes, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, 1850s-60s.
thumbnail GAR2SD27, button to large image
Conishead Priory
block, building

placename:- Conishead Priory
date:- 1850=1869
period:- 19th century, late; 1850s; 1860s

old map:- Ford 1839 map

Map of the Lake District, published in A Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, 1839.
thumbnail FD02SD37, button to large image
Conishead Priory

placename:- Conishead Priory
county:- Lancashire
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843)

Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, et al, 1839; published 1839-52.
Page 5:-
... [Ulverston]
On the site of the ancient priory, Mr. Braddyll has raised a magnificent edifice, in a style of English architecture, tastefully agreeable to its locality and name. The gardens are extensive and beautiful, and the walks through the park are finely shaded with trees, and command beautiful views of the bay and the mountains.
Page 156:-
...
[Ulverston] ... In this neighbourhood ... Conishead Priory, the modern mansion of Colonel Braddyll, ...

placename:- Conishead Priory
person:- : Braddyll, Colonel
person:- : Braddyll, Mr
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

descriptive text:- Otley 1823 (5th edn 1834)

Guidebook, Concise Description of the English Lakes, later A Description of the English Lakes, by Jonathan Otley, published by the author, Keswick, Cumberland, by J Richardson, London, and by Arthur Foster, Kirky Lonsdale, Cumbria, 1823 onwards.
image OT01P096, button   goto source.
Page 96:-
... Two miles from Ulverston is Conishead, generally called the Priory, a place highly extolled by Mr. West, who says, 'it is a great omission in the curious traveller, to be in Furness and not to see so wonderfully pretty a place.' The mansion has been several years in rebuilding, and when finished will be a splendid residence. ...
date:- 1823
period:- 19th century, early; 1820s

descriptive text:- Baker 1802

Perspective road map with sections in Lancashire, Westmorland, and Cumberland through Kendal and Penrith ending at Carlisle, by J Baker, London 1802.
pp.25-26:-
... the priory of Conished, ...

placename:- Conished Priory
date:- 1802
period:- 19th century, early; 1800s

old text:- Camden 1789 (Gough Additions)

Britannia, or A Chorographical Description of the Flourishing Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, by William Camden, 1586, translated from the 1607 Latin edition by Richard Gough, published London, 1789.
Page 143:-
Conishead, a priory of black canons, founded by Gabriel Pennington t. Henry II. valued at £.97. It was first an hospital founded by William de Lancaster baron of Kendal, the seat of the Sandys, the Doddings, and Braddylls.

placename:- Conishead Priory
person:- : Augustinian Order
person:- : Pennington, Gabriel
person:- : Lancaster, William de
person:- : Sandys Family
person:- : Dodding Family
person:- : Braddyll Family
date:- 1789
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

old map:- West 1784 map

A Map of the Lakes in Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire, now Cumbria, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, engraved by Paas, 53 Holborn, London, included in the Guide to the Lakes by Thomas West, published by William Pennington, Kendal, Westmorland, and in London, from the 3rd edition 1784, to 1821.
image Ws02SD27, button   goto source.
thumbnail Ws02SD27, button to large image

placename:- Conishead Priory
county:- Lancashire

descriptive text:- West 1778 (11th edn 1821)

Guide book, A Guide to the Lakes, by Thomas West, published by William Pennington, Kendal, Cumbria once Westmorland, and in London, 1778 to 1821.
image WS21P042, button   goto source.
Page 42:-
... to the priory of Conishead, the paradise of Furness; a Mount Edgecomb in miniature, which well deserves a visit from the curious traveller. The house stands on the site of the priory of Conishead, at the foot of a fine eminence, and the ground falls gently from it on all
image WS21P043, button   goto source.
Page 43:-
sides. The slopes are planted with shrubs and trees in such a manner to improve the elevation; and the waving woods that fly from it on each wing give it an airy and noble appearance. The south front is in the modern taste, extended by an arcade. The north is in the Gothic style, with a piazza and wings. The apartments are elegantly furnished, and the house is good and convenient. But, what recommends itself most to the curious, is a plan of pleasure ground, on a small scale, containing beauties equal in number to gardens of the greatest extent in England. The variety of culminated grounds, and winding slopes, comprehended within this sweet spot, furnish all the advantage of mountains and vales, woods and water. By the judicious management of these assemblages, the late owner performed wonders. Consulting the genius of the place, he called in, to aid his plan, and harmonized to this little spot, the features of a country vast in extent, and by nature highly picturesque [1], whose distant parts agreeing with what was immediately near him, form a most magnificent whole. For, besides the ornamental grounds, the views from the house are both pleasing and surprising.
[1] The note intended for this place proving too long, it is inserted in the Addenda, and makes Article VIII. X.
date:- 1778
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

source:- Lloyd 1573 -- probably relevant

Map, Angliae Regni, Kingdom of England, with Wales, scale about 24 miles to 1 inch, authored by Humphrey Lloyd, Denbigh, Clwyd, drawn and engraved by Abraham Ortelius, Netherlands, 1573.
thumbnail Lld1Cm, button to large image
Conyside

placename:- Conyside
date:- 1573
period:- 16th century, late; 1570s

map:- see:- : 1954: Monastic Britain: Ordnance Survey

canons regular
person:- : Augustinian Order

old print:- Philip/Wilson 1890s

thumbnail PHW1E005, button to large image
CONISHEAD PRIORY.
date:- 1895
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

old print:- Philip/Wilson 1890s

thumbnail PHW1E006, button to large image
ENTRANCE HALL.
date:- 1895
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

old print:- Waugh 1860

Guide book, Over Sands to the Lakes, by Edwin Waugh, published by Alexander Ireland and Co, 22 Market Street, Manchester, 1860.
thumbnail WU0111, button to large image
Print, engraving, Conishead Priory, Ulverston, Lancashire, published by Alexander Ireland and Co, 22 Market Street, Manchester, 1860.
On p.37 of Over Sands to the Lakes, by Edwin Waugh.
printed at bottom left, centre:-
CONISHEAD PRIORY.

placename:- Conishead Priory
date:- 1860
period:- 19th century, late

old print:- Jopling 1843

Book, Sketch of Furness and Cartmel, by Charles M Jopling, published by Whittaker and Co, Ave Maria Lane, London and by Stephen Soulby, Ulverston, Cumberland, 1843.
thumbnail JP1E22, button to large image
Print, South and East Fronts of Conishead Priory, Ulverston, Lancashire, by Mr Tuer, Kendal, published by Whittaker and Co, Ave Maria Lane, London and by Stephen Soulby, Ulverston, Cumberland, 1843.
Tipped in opposite p.145 of a Sketch of Furness and Cartmel, by Charles M Jopling.

placename:- Conishead Priory
date:- 1843
period:- 19th century, early

old print:- Jopling 1843

Book, Sketch of Furness and Cartmel, by Charles M Jopling, published by Whittaker and Co, Ave Maria Lane, London and by Stephen Soulby, Ulverston, Cumberland, 1843.
thumbnail JP1E23, button to large image
Print, The North Front, Conishead Priory, Ulverston, Lancashire, by Charles M Jopling, published by Whittaker and Co, Ave Maria Lane, London and by Stephen Soulby, Ulverston, Cumberland, 1843.
Tipped in opposite p.147 of a Sketch of Furness and Cartmel, by Charles M Jopling.

placename:- Conishead Priory
date:- 1843
period:- 19th century, early

old print:- Jopling 1843

Book, Sketch of Furness and Cartmel, by Charles M Jopling, published by Whittaker and Co, Ave Maria Lane, London and by Stephen Soulby, Ulverston, Cumberland, 1843.
thumbnail JP1E24, button to large image
Print, The Hall, Conishead Priory, Ulverston, Lancashire, by Mr Tuer, Kendal, published by Whittaker and Co, Ave Maria Lane, London and by Stephen Soulby, Ulverston, Cumberland, 1843.
Tipped in opposite p.148 of a Sketch of Furness and Cartmel, by Charles M Jopling.

placename:- Conishead Priory
date:- 1843
period:- 19th century, early

old print:- Sylvan 1847

thumbnail SYL132, button to large image
Print, engraving, Conishead Priory, Ulverston, Lancashire, published by John Johnstone, Paternoster Row, London, et al, 1847.
On p.113 of Sylvan's Pictorial Guide to the English Lakes.
printed at bottom:-
CONISHEAD PRIORY.

placename:- Conishead Priory
date:- 1847
period:- 19th century, early

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CONISHEAD PRIORY / / PRIORY ROAD / ULVERSTON / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 460003 / SD3040375826
courtesy of English Heritage
Country house, now Buddhist monastery, on site of Augustinian Priory. 1821-36, extended 1853. To design by Philip Wyatt and completed by George Webster. For Colonel Braddyll. Rendered brick, limestone, and sandstone, with slate roofs. Built on a vast scale in a hybrid Gothic style with an irregular plan, with many pointed arches and traceried windows, pierced battlemented parapets, steep gables, and panelled octagonal chimneys. The entrance front is very asymmetrical, but has a centre 3-storeyed gatehouse-type porch with gable and spired turrets, an ogee-headed doorway with flanking niches, a large 4-light traceried window on the 1st floor and a rose window above. To the left are 2 (unequal) gabled wings, one with a large pointed arched window, the other with a 2-storeyed bay window and a pointed light on the 3rd storey. To the right of the entrance (west) is a long single-storey wing with 4 large 2-light pointed arched windows, and clerestorey lights behind a parapet. A large wing at the west end projecting northwards ends in a gatehouse tower dated 1853, in the same style, of 4 storeys, and contains service quarters, stables, etc. The south front is symmetrical, with 3 gables.
INTERIOR: a plaster-vaulted corridor runs from the east entrance towards the west. On the north side a screen of 3 arches opens into a stair hall with an imperial staircase with alternate turned and barleysugar balusters, lit by a stained glass window by Wailes. Also opening off the north side of the corridor is the double-height entrance hall (under repair at time of survey in November 1991), entered from the north doorway. It is said to have a west window by Willement, and, on the 1st floor, a wooden screen with Perpendicular tracery, taken from the chapel at Samlesbury Hall. The corridor continues towards the west, where it has cloister windows on the north side with Perpendicular tracery. To the south of the corridor the dining room is lined with panelling and has a Gothic fireplace in brown marble with a carved oak overmantel. A room at the north-east end of the corridor also has an elaborate marble Gothic fireplace and has an oak overmantel. On the 1st floor the Oak Room is lined with woodwork taken from Samlesbury Hall (near Preston) in 1834, including a chimneypiece dated 1623. A previous house on this site was demolished in 1821.

placename:- Conishead Priory
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- SD30407582
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Conishead Priory -- Ulverston -- Cumbria / -- Coat of arms. -- 6.7.2007
tiny photograph, 
button to large Conishead Priory -- Ulverston -- Cumbria / -- Coat of arms. -- 6.7.2007
tiny photograph, 
button to large Conishead Priory -- Ulverston -- Cumbria / -- Coat of arms. -- 6.7.2007

hearsay The priory was begun by Augustinian friars as a hospital for the poor, 1160, and became a priory 1188. After the Dissolution, 1540, it was granted to William Stanley. It was bought by Col Thomas Braddyll, 1818, who made it his family home, completely rebuilt, 1820, the architect being Thomas Wyatt. Col Braddyll was bankrupted; and the house has had various owners. It has been a hotel, military hospital, miners' convalescent home. It was at one time a hydropathic hotel known as the Paradise of Furness. It is now a residential buddhist centre, the Manjushri Kadampa Meditation Centre, with the Kadampa World Peace Temple, 2005.

button   Conishead Priory Station, Ulverston
button   icehouse, Conishead Priory
button   Kadampa World Peace Temple, Ulverston
button   station, Conishead

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.