button to main menu   Ford's Description of the Lakes, 1839/1843

button title page
button previous page button next page
Page 5:-
Rubens; the altar-piece is the 'Taking down from the Cross' after Sir Joshua Reynolds: the lay rector, T. R. G. Braddyll, Esq. of Conishead Priory, generously defrayed the expense of both these pictorial embellishments. Instruction and amusement are supplied to the inhabitants by libraries, a theatre, and an assembly-room; and the economical habits of the poor are encouraged and upheld by a savings' bank.
  Swarthmoor Hall
A short distance out of the town is Swarth Moor Hall, embosomed in shady sycamores, once the seat of that Judge Fell, whose widow married George Fox. The Friends have a Meeting-house near it, with this inscription over the door, 'Ex dono, G. F. 1688.'
  Conishead Priory
On the site of the ancient priory, Mr. Braddyll has raised a magnificent edifice, in a style of English architecture, tastefully agreeable to its locality and name. The gardens are extensive and beautiful, and the walks through the park are finely shaded with trees, and command beautiful views of the bay and the mountains.
From Ulverstone, the tourist should proceed to Dalton and Furness Abbey.

Is situated in a valley which stretches about four miles from it, in one large, sweeping and narrow curve, till it opens on a noble view of Cartmel bay. It is an ancient little town, and was once the capital
gazetteer links
button -- "Cartmel Bay" -- Cartmel Sands
button -- "Conishead Priory" -- Conishead Priory
button -- "Dalton" -- Dalton-in-Furness
button -- St Mary and Holy Trinity Church
button -- "Swarth Moor Hall" -- Swarthmoor Hall
button next page

button to main menu Lakes Guides menu.