button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Broughton Mills
parish Broughton West parish, once in Lancashire
county:- Cumbria
building/s
coordinates:- SD222905
10Km square:- SD29

1Km square SD2290

old map:- Garnett 1850s-60s H

Map of the English Lakes, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, 1850s-60s.
thumbnail GAR2SD29, button to large image
Broughton Mills
blocks, settlement

placename:- Broughton Mills
date:- 1850=1869
period:- 19th century, late; 1850s; 1860s

descriptive text:- Otley 1823 (5th edn 1834)

This is presumably the Coniston Limestone Series?
Guidebook, Concise Description of the English Lakes, later A Description of the English Lakes, by Jonathan Otley, published by the author, Keswick, Cumberland, by J Richardson, London, and by Arthur Foster, Kirky Lonsdale, Cumbria, 1823 onwards.
image OT01P158, button   goto source.
Page 158:-
The THIRD division - forming only inferior elevations - commences with a bed of dark-blue or blackish transition limestone, containing here and there a few shells and madrepores, and alternating with a slaty rock of the same colour; the different layers of each being in some places several feet, in others only a few inches in thickness. This limestone crosses the river Duddon near Broughton; passing Broughton Mills it runs in a north-east direction through Torver, by the foot of the Old Man mountain, and appears near Low Yewdale and Yew Tree. Here it makes a considerable slip to the eastward, after which it ranges past the Tarns upon the hills above Borwick Ground; and stretching through Skelwith, it crosses the head of Windermere near Low Wood Inn. Then passing above Dovenest and Skelgill, it traverses the vales of Troutbeck, Kentmere, and Long Sleddale;
date:- 1823
period:- 19th century, early; 1820s

source:- Otley 1818

New Map of the District of the Lakes, in Westmorland, Cumberland, and Lancashire, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Jonathan Otley, engraved by J and G Menzies, Edinburgh, Lothian, Scotland, published by J Otley, Keswick, Cumberland now Cumbria, 1818; pblished 1818 to 1850s.
image OT02SD29, button   goto source.
thumbnail OT02SD29, button to large image

placename:- Broughton Mills

button   Blacksmiths Arms, Broughton Mills
button   Hesketh Hall, Dunnerdale-with-Seathwaite
button   Hobkin Ground, Broughton West
button   Holy Innocents, Broughton Mills
button   Lumholme, Broughton West
button   Shop Bridge, Broughton West
button   village hall, Broughton Mills

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.