button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
mill, Ambleside (2)
site name:-   Stock Ghyll
Street:-   Rydal Road
locality:-   Ambleside
civil parish:-   Lakes (formerly Westmorland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   water mill (ex) 
locality type:-   mill (ex) 
locality type:-   saw mill (ex) 
coordinates:-   NY37590464
1Km square:-   NY3704
10Km square:-   NY30

BXZ14.jpg (taken 13.3.2013)  
BXZ15.jpg  Water wheel.
(taken 13.3.2013)  

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Wmd 26 6) 
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
"Saw Mill / sawpits"

BZS29.jpg  Sluice gear in mill lade.
(taken 13.3.2013)  

Perhaps this is Partridge's Woolen Mill, from before 1454, rebuilt 1795, closed 1844, then used for storage.

Kelly, Michelle &Walsh, Deborah: 2015: Mills of Ambleside: Armitt Trust (Ambleside, Cumbria):: ISBN 0 953944 4 8

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.