button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
St Oswald, Kirkoswald
St Oswald's Church
Kirkoswald Church
locality:-   Kirkoswald
civil parish:-   Kirkoswald (formerly Cumberland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church
coordinates:-   NY55514090
1Km square:-   NY5540
10Km square:-   NY54
references:-   : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

BUL02.jpg (taken 29.4.2011)  
BUL04.jpg (taken 29.4.2011)  

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Cmd 40 10) 
placename:-  St Oswald's Church
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
"St Oswald's Church (Vicarage) / Grave Yard / Well"

evidence:-   old map:- Donald 1774 (Cmd) 
source data:-   Map, hand coloured engraving, 3x2 sheets, The County of Cumberland, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, by Thomas Donald, engraved and published by Joseph Hodskinson, 29 Arundel Street, Strand, London, 1774.
church, with two crosses to NE 
item:-  Carlisle Library : Map 2
Image © Carlisle Library

evidence:-   old text:- Camden 1789 (Gough Additions) 
item:-  coat of arms
source data:-   Book, Britannia, or A Chorographical Description of the Flourishing Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, by William Camden, 1586, translated from the 1607 Latin edition by Richard Gough, published London, 1789.
image CAM2P191, button  goto source
Page 191:-  "..."
"The church of Kirk Oswald was turned into a college of 12 secular priests 1523: and, at the dissolution of great tithes, passed with it into lay hands; but the vicarage has been augmented by queen Anne's bounty. The choir is so disproportionate to the body, that bishop Nicolson supposed it was rebuilt by some of the lords Dacre when the church was made collegiate, as their arms and those of the Cliffords are painted in most of the windows. The belfrey is placed without the church on the top of a hill to the east."

evidence:-   old text:- Capper 1808
source data:-   Gazetteer, A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom, compiled by Benjamin Pitts Capper, published by Richard Phillips, Bridge Street, Blackfriars, London, 1808; published 1808-29.
image CAP130, button  goto source
"[Kirkoswald] ... The church is a very irregular, old building, but the belfry stands on the top of a hill away from the church, in order that the bells may be the better heard by the neighbouring villages. Near the west end of the church issues a spring. ..."

evidence:-   old text:- Gents Mag
source data:-   Magazine, The Gentleman's Magazine or Monthly Intelligencer or Historical Chronicle, published by Edward Cave under the pseudonym Sylvanus Urban, and by other publishers, London, monthly from 1731 to 1922.
image G819A507, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1819 part 1 p.507 
From the Compendium of County History:-  "... In Kirk Oswald church, among the memorials of his family, is the monument of the loyal Sir Timothy Featherstonehaugh, who was beheaded at Chester, Oct. 22, 1651."

evidence:-   descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843) 
source data:-   Guide book, A Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by Rev William Ford, published by Charles Thurnam, Carlisle, by W Edwards, 12 Ave Maria Lane, Charles Tilt, Fleet Street, William Smith, 113 Fleet Street, London, by Currie and Bowman, Newcastle, by Bancks and Co, Manchester, by Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh, and by Sinclair, Dumfries, 1839.
image FD01P128, button  goto source
Page 128:-  "..."
"... The Church is an old building, consisting of a nave, aisles, and porches, north and south, and a chancel. It is built at a little distance from the town, under a hill-side, a noble avenue of sycamores leading to it. A copious spring of pure water issuing out in the Church, runs through the whole length, and emerges into day at the west end. The style is late Norman or very early English, with many modern alterations. The belfry, containing two bells, stands on the hill above; for, otherwise, their sound would be inaudible in the town. ..."

evidence:-   old map:- Nurse 1918
source data:-   Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 2nd edn 1939.
item:-  JandMN : 27
Image © see bottom of page

 stained glass

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Church of St Oswald
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"CHURCH OF ST OSWALD / / / KIRKOSWALD / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 73487 / NY5551440902"
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Church. Early C12 with late C12 additions, mid C13 and early C16 additions; renovations of 1847 and 1878. Large blocks of red sandstone rubble, green and Welsh slate roofs with coped gables and cross finials; ashlar vestry chimney stack. Nave and chancel with north and south gabled aisles;/detached bell tower is listed separately North timber-framed gabled porch of c1523, has C19 stone infill, incorporating above entrance a reused early C17 stone inscribed ROBERT LOWTHION; porch seat is part of a C16 pew with carved poppy head end boards. Flanking pointed lancet windows, with 2-light mullioned Tudor window to left. North wall has 8 medieval grave slabs leaning and fixed to it. Nave has C19 west window with well down steps below with C20 inscription. Blocked south entrance with hollow chamfer and roll mouldings is probably C13; flanking Tudor mullioned windows, that to right of 3 lights is a C19 enlargement. Chancel has tall 3-light mullioned Tudor windows. Interior has 3 bay arcades of round arches with pointed west end arches on carved corbels. C13 chancel arch is on base of C12 arch; flanking niches for statues. Tudor 2-light clerestory windows. Panelled oak roof of 1847. Medieval bowl font and medieval cross fragment built into west window of north aisle. C20 side chapels in both aisles. Chancel has heraldic stained glass to various local families of 1846. Marble wall plaques to members of the Fetherstonhaugh family and fragment of plaque of 1609 to Thomas Brougham. Open timber roof is also C19. Alterations of c1523 were carried out at the expense of Thomas Lord Dacre when the nearby College of Vicars was formed by him."

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Bell Tower. Core of 1743 (date on weather vane) with inscription over entrance THIS TOWER WAS REBUILT/1893/IN MEMORY OF/JOHN HENRY RANSOME/VICAR 1877-1892. Coursed red sandstone rubble wall, flat roof not visible. Small square 2-storey tower with angle stair turret. Lower stonework is C18 with C19 rebuilding of upper floor. Plank door in roll moulded surround; 2-light mullioned bell openings have louvred stone vents; battlemented parapet with angle projecting water spouts. Surrounding plinth is of similar materials with steps to entrance, ball finials at angles. 3 inscribed bells, 1619, 1729 and 1892. See, Guide to St Oswalds Church, Kirkoswald, 1974, p16. The only detached church Bell Tower in north Cumbria."

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Churchyard wall. C18, C19 and early C20. Red sandstone rubble. Low wall with rounded coping stones, inscribed stones set at intervals within the wall giving the initials of those parishioners responsible for building each portion of wall. Listed partly for G.V. with Church."

evidence:-   old print:- Calverley 1899
item:-  mason's mark
source data:-   a in the wall behind the church; c on SE buttress, a mason's mark? d on NE corner, a mason's mark? e in the church wall at NE corner.
image  click to enlarge
Sketch by W G Collingwood. 
item:-  JandMN : 190
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old print:- 
source data:-   Print, uncoloured engraving, St Oswald's Church, Kirkoswald, Cumberland, published by the Illustrated London News, 12 August 1882.
image  click to enlarge
Illustrations of place visited by the Royal Archaeological Institute. 
item:-  Dove Cottage : 2008.107.313
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old painting:- 
source data:-   Painting, watercolour, Kirkoswald Church, St Oswald's Church, Kirkoswald, Cumberland, by William James Blacklock, 1840-58.
image  click to enlarge
Foreground path leads to entrance of a small irregularly shaped church to right of which rises a grassy hillside and beyond which grows dense woodland. A woman stands at open church door. 
This work is an example of juvenilia by the artist. It has poor perspective and flat colour. 
item:-  Tullie House Museum : 1946.67.11
Image © Tullie House Museum

 ring of bells

 cross slabs

Martin  1246 -  
Langton, Walter de  1293 -  
Lovetoft, Nicholas  1293 -  
Monte, Richard de  1323 -  
Appleby, John de  1372 -  
Beachamp, William, Sir  1374 -  
Marshall, William  1436 -  
Shepherd, James, Sir  1561 - 1577 
Carter, Thomas  1592 - 1601 
Allan, John  1607 - 1611 
Wilson, William  1636 - 1639 
Milburn, Robert  1648 - 1650 
Yates, George  1668 - 1670 
Sanderson, George  1671 - 1685 
Rumney, John  1685 - 1738 
Mandeville, John  1739 - 1761 
Smalwood, Charles  1761 - 1771 
James, John  1771 - 1774 
Fisher, John  1774 - 1829 
Lawson, Gerard  1829 - 1855 
Best, John  1855 - 1877 
Ransome, John Henry  1877 - 1892 
Thornley, John James  1892 - 1906 
Duncan, Robert  1906 - 1933 

 scratch dial

Described in:-

Butler, Lawrence (ed): 2011: Church Notes of Sir Stephen Glynne for Cumbria, 1833-1872: CWAAS:: ISBN 978 1 873124 52 9
Extracted from the original notes made by Sir Stephen, now in Deiniol's Library, Hawarden, Flintshire, contact through Flintshire Record Office

BUL07.jpg  Organ, 1883.
(taken 29.4.2011)  
BUL08.jpg  Organ, maker:-
"Harrison &Harrison / Durham" (taken 29.4.2011)  
BYU88.jpg  Mothers Union banner.
(taken 16.7.2013)  
BUL05.jpg  Effigy; said to be a monk, or, by local opinion, Lady Dacre.
(taken 29.4.2011)  
BUL06.jpg  Corbel.
(taken 29.4.2011)  
BUL10.jpg  Corbel.
(taken 29.4.2011)  
BYU87.jpg  Alabaster memorial, Browgham Family, 1609.
(taken 16.7.2013)  
BUL11.jpg  Font, sandstone.
(taken 29.4.2011)  
BJU26.jpg (taken 26.8.2005)  
BJU28.jpg (taken 26.8.2005)  
BUL03.jpg  Gravestones
(taken 29.4.2011)  

BOE11.jpg  Initials on the church boundary wall - parishioners with responsibilities of upkeep.
(taken 7.9.2007)  
BOE12.jpg  Initials on the church boundary wall - parishioners with responsibilities of upkeep.
(taken 7.9.2007)  
BUK89.jpg  Gate.
(taken 29.4.2011)  

A church is believed to have been her since before the Norman Conquest. A small stone building was here from about 1130; a north aisle was added about 1160; a south aisle added about 1180; in the 13th century the aisles were rebuilt, wider, and the west end rebuilt; there was major rebuilding in 1523; after neglect the church was restored, 1847, and again in 1878; foundations were put in under the church in 1970-72.

: : church leaflet

person:-    : St Oswald
place:-   Kirkoswald / Carlisle Diocese

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.