button to main menu   Ford's Description of the Lakes, 1839/1843

button title page
button previous page button next page
Page 128:-
some monumental remains of the Aglionby family. The site of the Nunnery is now marked by a pillar of masonry, standing on the hill above the present house.
  Eden Bridge
Beyond Staffold Hall, on the road-side, is a white farm-house, called Prospect Hill, from its commanding a view of Kirkoswald and the surrounding country. The Eden runs through a more open and expanded vale; fertile holms and rich corn-fields adorn the banks of the this clear-flowing stream, which is crossed by the bridge of Lazonby, a village straggling up the hill on the west side. Over Kirkoswald are the woods of Little Salkeld, with Cross Fell in the distance.

Is an irregular-built market-town, crowning the ridge of a hill. The most interesting objects are the Church and Castle. The Church is an old building, consisting of a nave, aisles, and porches, north and south, and a chancel. It is built at a little distance from the town, under a hill-side, a noble avenue of sycamores leading to it. A copious spring of pure water issuing out in the Church, runs through the whole length, and emerges into day at the west end. The style is late Norman or very early English, with many modern alterations. The belfry, containing two bells, stands on the hill above; for, otherwise, their sound would be inaudible in the town. On the east side of the town,
gazetteer links
button -- (cross, Nunnery)
button -- "Kirkoswald" -- Kirkoswald
button -- Nunnery Walks
button -- St Oswald's Church
button next page

button to main menu Lakes Guides menu.