button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
St Michael, Isel
St Michael and All Angels Church
Isel Church
locality:-   Isel
civil parish:-   Blindcrake (formerly Cumberland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church
coordinates:-   NY16233331
1Km square:-   NY1633
10Km square:-   NY13
references:-   : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

BNR62.jpg (taken 25.5.2007)  
CAV25.jpg (taken 30.5.2014)  

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Cmd 46 14) 
placename:-  St Michael's Church
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
"St. Michael's Ch. (Vicarage) / Grave Yard"

evidence:-   old map:- Nurse 1918
source data:-   Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 2nd edn 1939.
item:-  JandMN : 27
Image © see bottom of page

 notes about bells

 stained glass

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Church of St Michael
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Parish Church. Early C12 with 1878 restoration and additions by C.J. Ferguson. Calciferous sandstone rubble walls, under graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and cross finial. 4-bay nave with south porch and twin open bellcote; 3-bay chancel with north vestry. Nave has zig-zag doorway and carved capitals but the engaged shafts removed; all within C14 gabled stone porch. South wall has tall round-headed C13 window, smaller rectangular window of similar date and 2 C18 rectangular windows. C19 2-light west window with flanking buttresses. Blocked north doorway and 2 narrow round-headed C12 windows. South chancel wall has blocked priest's doorway, a lancet window, round-headed window and 2-light C15 window. C19 2-light east window. C19 vestry. Interior of porch has built-in medieval cross-slab fragments. Nave has 4 original window splays, one to the C18 window. C16 trussed timber roof. Medieval pedestal font with octagonal bowl. C19 pater boards. South wall has remains of stone steps to rood screen. Royal Arms of George I dated 1721. C12 roll-moulded chancel arch with carved capitals. Anglo-Danish cross-shaft fragments flank south door. Chancel north wall has original splayed C12 windows and a lancet window. Fragment of medieval sculpture built into wall. C17 slate wall plaques to the Lawson family of Isel Hall flank altar. Further fragment of Anglo-Danish cross shaft. Brass wall plaque to Thomas de Sandes, died 1415; and various C19 brass wall plaques. C19 furnishings and fittings, and early C20 hanging oil lamps."

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Table tomb. Late C15 probably for Sir William Leigh of Isel Hall who died in 1484. Red sandstone. Sides have carved trefoils and shields of the Leigh family. Originally inside the church."

evidence:-   old print:- Calverley 1899
item:-  Triskele Fragmentcross
source data:-   In the church:-
image  click to enlarge
Engraving by M Petersen. 
In the west wall of the porch:- 
image  click to enlarge
Sketch by W G Collingwood. 
item:-  JandMN : 190
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old print:- Calverley 1899
item:-  cross
source data:-   Lithograph by W S Calverley.
image  click to enlarge
item:-  JandMN : 190
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old drawing:- 
item:-  cross
source data:-   Drawing, Spiral Fragment, Isel, St Michael and All Angels Church, Blindcrake, Cumberland, by William Gershom Collingwood, 1899.
image  click to enlarge
Sketch of cross fragment; unfinished carved decoration of spirals cover the surface. 
Drawn to illustrate Notes on the Early Sculptured Crosses, Shrines and Monuments in the Present Diocese of Carlisle, by Rev William Slater Calverley, published by T Wilson, Kendal 1899; opposite p.213. 
inscribed at bottom centre:-  "'Spiral' fragment; Isel"
initialled &dated at bottom right:-  "W.G.C. 1899"
item:-  Tullie House Museum : 1902.18.10
Image © Tullie House Museum

 cross slabs

Andrew  1195 -  
Robert  1333 -  
Barton, William  1341 -  
Wanton, John 
Baynard, John  1369 -  
Mason, John  1385 -  
Bellerby, Henry  1379 -  
Dalton, Richard  1535 -  
Adcock, William  1575 -  
Harrison, Thomas  1575 -  
Adcock, William  1577 -  
Cape, Leonard  1581 -  
Wharton, Anthony  1594 -  
Head, Percival  1636 -  
Fletcher, Richard  1661 -  
Starke, George  1669 -  
Farish, Peter  1703 -  
Pool, William  1711 -  
Leathes, Thomas  1719 -  
Kendall, John  1729 -  
Waite, John  1782 -  
How, Peter  1814 -  
Wybergh, C H  1826 -  
Sharpe, W H  1876 -  
Macnabb, J F  1898 -  
Hawker, B R  1900 -  
Bagshawe, W V  1904 -  
Henry, J  1910 -  

 scratch dial

 scratch dial (2

 scratch dial (3)

 scratch dial (4)

BNR63.jpg (taken 25.5.2007)  
BTP46.jpg  Altar frontal, and remains of the Harvest Festival
(taken 5.10.2010)  
BNR66.jpg  Oil lamps in fancy holders, and the Creed and Lord's Prayer.
(taken 25.5.2007)  
BTP47.jpg  Casson's Patent Positive Organ.
(taken 5.10.2010)  
BNR67.jpg  Coat of arms, George ?
(taken 25.5.2007)  
BTP48.jpg  Mothers Union banner.
(taken 5.10.2010)  
BQH43.jpg  Memorial:-
"In memory of John Bell Sailor / son of Joseph and Jane Bell / of this Parish. He departed / this life on the 8th. of Nov. 1880 / aged 15 years, on board the ship / Mitredale, at Sydney N.S.W. / ..." (taken 27.3.2009)  
BQH44.jpg  Cross shaft?
(taken 27.3.2009)  
BQH46.jpg  Cross shaft?
(taken 27.3.2009)  
BQH45.jpg  Poor box.
(taken 27.3.2009)  

There was probably a church here before the norman conquest. The present church dates from the early 12th century, some stonework is dated to about 1130, including the norman doorway; the chancel was lengthened; there is stonework of the 14th, 15th and 16th centuries; there was once a tower at the west end of the north wall; there was restoration, and additions, in 1878, architect C J Ferguson.

: : church leaflet

person:-    : St Michael
place:-   Isel / Carlisle Diocese

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.