button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
St Mary, Whitbeck
St Mary's Church
Whitbeck Church
locality:-   Whitbeck
civil parish:-   Whicham (formerly Cumberland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church
coordinates:-   SD11938397
1Km square:-   SD1183
10Km square:-   SD18
references:-   : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

BMS82.jpg (taken 30.9.2006)  
BXX63.jpg (taken 4.3.2013)  

evidence:-   old map:- Donald 1774 (Cmd) 
source data:-   Map, hand coloured engraving, 3x2 sheets, The County of Cumberland, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, by Thomas Donald, engraved and published by Joseph Hodskinson, 29 Arundel Street, Strand, London, 1774.
item:-  Carlisle Library : Map 2
Image © Carlisle Library

evidence:-   old map:- Nurse 1918
source data:-   Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 2nd edn 1939.
item:-  JandMN : 27
Image © see bottom of page

BSN64.jpg  The bells.
(taken 16.4.2010)  

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Church of St Mary
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"CHURCH OF ST MARY / / A 595 / WHICHAM / COPELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 76379 / SD1193083969"
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Church. Probably medieval in origin, heavily restored 1883. Single-vessel nave and chancel. Roughcast stone with ashlar dressings and slate roof. South side of 3 bays has paired lancets. West end has coped gable, 2 double-chamfered lancets and pointed entrance with double-chamfered reveals; gabled bellcote; diamond buttresses. East end has stepped triple lancets. North elevation has single lancet. Interior has timber partitions to porch and vestries. Arch-braced collar trusses with kingposts. C19 hanging lanterns. Double-chamfered chancel arch with detached shafts. North wall memorial to Pearson family (died 1772 to 1829). Stuart Royal arms over chancel arch. Chancel has stained glass panel: Head of Jesus."

 sundial (gone)

 sundial (2)

BVS24.jpg  Cast iron grave marker; Harols Mutton, died 1916.
(taken 24.11.2011)  
BXX64.jpg  Flush bracket bench mark, SW corner of church,
(taken 4.3.2103)  

Probably dates from the 13th century, but what is visible is the 1800s restoration. There is an effigy of a lady, known as the Lady of Annaside, probably an early member of the Huddleston Family.

person:-    : St Mary
place:-   Whitbeck / Carlisle Diocese

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.