button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
St Andrew, Greystoke
St Andrew's Church
Greystoke Church
locality:-   Greystoke
civil parish:-   Greystoke (formerly Cumberland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church
coordinates:-   NY44323079
1Km square:-   NY4430
10Km square:-   NY43
references:-   : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

BLP42.jpg (taken 4.2.2006)  
CCK31.jpg (taken 13.2.2015)  

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Cmd 58 1) 
placename:-  St Andrew's Church
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
"St. Andrew's Church (Rectory) / Grave Yard"

evidence:-   old text:- Camden 1789 (Gough Additions) 
source data:-   Book, Britannia, or A Chorographical Description of the Flourishing Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland, by William Camden, 1586, translated from the 1607 Latin edition by Richard Gough, published London, 1789.
image CAM2P191, button  goto source
Page 191:-  "..."
"Greystock church was collegiate for a provost and six secular canons, founded by Ralph lord of Greystock 1382, valued at £.40. per ann."

evidence:-   old text:- Gents Mag
item:-  Satan's Temptations
source data:-   Magazine, The Gentleman's Magazine or Monthly Intelligencer or Historical Chronicle, published by Edward Cave under the pseudonym Sylvanus Urban, and by other publishers, London, monthly from 1731 to 1922.
image G819A507, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1819 part 1 p.507 
From the Compendium of County History:-  "Greystock was the rectory of Dr. Richard Gilpin, nonconformist divine, author of 'Satan's Temptations,' In the castle are several valuable portraits, and a crucifixion executed in needlework by Mary Queen of Scots. The park, which contains 3000 acres, is surrounded by a wall 9 feet high."

evidence:-   old map:- Garnett 1850s-60s H
source data:-   Map of the English Lakes, in Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, 1850s-60s.
cross, a church 
item:-  JandMN : 82.1
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old map:- Nurse 1918
source data:-   Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 2nd edn 1939.
item:-  JandMN : 27
Image © see bottom of page

 stained glass

 stained glass - coats of arms


evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Church of St Andrew
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"CHURCH OF ST ANDREW / / CHURCH ROAD / GREYSTOKE / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 73820 / NY4433530785"
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Parish church, at one time a college for priests. C13 with extensive C15 alterations and additions, with restorations of 1645, 1848 and 1878-99. Dressed mixed red, pink and cream sandstone, with string courses, parapet and angle buttresses with finials, all on chamfered plinth. Graduated greenslate roofs with coped gables and cross finials. Square west tower; aisled nave with south porch and priest's chamber, now vestry; chancel. Rebuilt 1848 3-stage tower has pointed doorway and small trefoil-headed windows under hoodmoulds. Battlemented parapet with angle water spouts. North aisle has pointed -arched doorway but wall above has been rebuilt in C19 with 3 of the 4 Perpendicular windows replaced. 5-light east window. South aisle is completely C15: round-arched doorway under hoodmould within C15 gabled stone porch. Further blocked round-arched central doorway (probably to chantry chapel, of which there were 6). Large 3-light windows and small Tudor window over porch, all under continuous hoodmould. Priest's chamber above has 2-light Tudor windows on 2 levels, under battlemented parapet; projecting round angle turret. Large 5-light east window. Chancel has inscription in north wall THIS CHANCEL WAS REPAIRED 1645 BY THOS HOWARD OF GREYSTOKE EARL OF ARUNDEL AND SURREY AND W. MORLAND RECTOR: WAS RESTORED 1848 BY HENRY HOWARD OF GREYSTOKE &HENRY ASKEW RECTOR. Perpendicular windows and south priest's door. 5-light east window. Interior: C19 open timber roof. 6-bay arcades of pointed arches, the eastern arches larger and intended for transepts, the remainder on round piers replaced in 1817-18. Wall plaque to William Williams, 1679. North aisle has hatchment of Howard arms. Stained glass window by Kempe, 1901. Remains of rood stair. South aisle has various C17, C18 and C19 wall plaques, piscina and alabaster effigies of William Lord Greystoke 1359 and John Lord Greystoke, 1436; also 4 C16 brasses originally in the chancel. 2 4-light flat-headed windows look into aisle from upper floor of priest's chamber. Interior of priest's chamber has piscina and C15 fireplace. Newel with squint. Hatchments of arias and C19 stained glass. 3-bay chancel has C14 stained glass reset in east window. Panelled oak chair stalls with misericords. Rood screen has some C15 woodwork. North tomb recess, south piscina and sedilia are 1848 restorations. Various inscribed shields set in north wall relate to the College of Greystoke; other C19 stained glass."

 notes on misericords

 ring of bells

2 cross slab grave covers; hidden by carpet?

Ryder, Peter: 2001: Cross Slab Grave Covers of Cumbria: Cumbria CC (Carlisle, Cumbria)

Vipont, Thomas de  1255 -  
Wyppeyns, Gerard de  1297 -  
Morpeth, Richard de  1302 -  
Ergholme, Ralph de  1314 -  
Hoton Roof, Richard de  1357 -  
Claston, John de  1370 -  
Bowet, Gilbert  1382 -  
Lascy, Richard  1411 -  
Aglionby, Adam de  1420 -  
Eglisfelde, Thomas  1440 -  
Wright, Richard 
Readman, Walter  1507 -  
Husband, William  1509 -  
Whelpdale, John  1526 -  
Dacre, John  1548 -  
Mosse, Simon  1567 -  
Hansby, Edward  1568 -  
Thornley, Hugh  1585 -  
Lowther, Leonard  1597 -  
Robinson, Henry  1609 -  
Waterhouse, Jerome  1626 -  
Pettie, William  1632 -  
Morland, William  1640 -  
Smallwood, Alan  1663 -  
Ffowke, Richard  1686 -  
Gibbon, Thomas  1693 -  
Bolton, Thomas  1717 -  
Law, Edmund  1739 -  
Moises, Hugh  1788 -  
Askew, Henry  1798 -  
Percy, Henry  1850 -  
Symonds, William  1871 -  
Askew, Edmund Adam  1876 -  
Saunders, Thomas Bekenn Avening  1902 -  
Mclean, Alan Mackintosh  1905 -  

evidence:-   old drawing:- 
placename:-  Greystoke Church
source data:-   Drawing, Greystoke Church, SE view, St Andrew's Church, Greystoke, Cumberland, by Samuel Bough, about 1840.
image  click to enlarge
Illustration p.361 for 'The History and Antiquities of Leath Ward in the County of Cumberland' by Samuel Jefferson published 1840. 
inscribed at bottom centre:-  "Greystoke Church, S.E."
item:-  Tullie House Museum : 1970.80.29
Image © Tullie House Museum

evidence:-   old painting:- 
placename:-  Greystoke Church
source data:-   Painting, watercolour, Greystoke Church from the Choir, St Andrew's Church, Greystoke, Cumberland, by Samuel Bough, late 19th century.
image  click to enlarge
Interior of Greystoke Church from choir, looking towards altar. 
Illustration p.363 for 'The History and Antiquities of Leath Ward in the County of Cumberland' by Samuel Jefferson published 1840. 
inscribed at bottom centre on mount:-  "Greystoke Church, from the Choir."
item:-  Tullie House Museum : 1970.80.33
Image © Tullie House Museum


Described in:-

Butler, Lawrence (ed): 2011: Church Notes of Sir Stephen Glynne for Cumbria, 1833-1872: CWAAS:: ISBN 978 1 873124 52 9
Extracted from the original notes made by Sir Stephen, now in Deiniol's Library, Hawarden, Flintshire, contact through Flintshire Record Office

BVG17.jpg  Cushion in the choir stalls.
(taken 19.8.2011)  
BVG18.jpg  Cushion in the choir stalls.
(taken 19.8.2011)  
BVG19.jpg  Cushion in the choir stalls.
(taken 19.8.2011)  
BVG32.jpg  Carving, choir stalls.
(taken 19.8.2011)  
BVG33.jpg  Carving, choir stalls.
(taken 19.8.2011)  
CCK33.jpg  Alabaster effigies of William, 14th Baron Greystoke and his grandson John, 16th baron, lacking lower legs.
Hearsay has it that sheep farmers broke bits of alabaster off to rub on sheep scab, and as whetstones for scythes.
(taken 13.2.2015)  
BVG27.jpg  Mothers Union banner.
(taken 19.8.2011)  
CCK32.jpg  an old poor box?
(taken 13.2.2015)  
BVG07.jpg  Memorial to Henry Charles Howard, d.1914.
(taken 19.8.2011)  
BVG09.jpg  Memorial to Henry Charles Howard, d.1914, coat of arms
(taken 19.8.2011)  
BVG08.jpg  Memorial to Henry Charles Howard, d.1914, portrait.
(taken 19.8.2011)  
BLP45.jpg  Oak table from the refectory of Greystoke College, 14th century.
(taken 4.2.2006)  

BVG34.jpg  A chest.
(taken 19.8.2011)  
BVG35.jpg  A chest.
(taken 19.8.2011)  
BVG36.jpg  A chest.
(taken 19.8.2011)  

BQG26.jpg  Carved 'shield' in choir.
(taken 14.3.2009)  

The present building was a rebuilding begun in 1382, continued to the 15th century. The church tower served as a pele in the times of marauding Scots.

Ellis, David C, Canon &Frank, Richard, Frank (ed): 1996: Story of St Andrews Greystoke

person:-    : Greystoke, William, Lord
place:-   burial place

person:-    : St Andrew
place:-   Greystoke / Carlisle Diocese

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.