button to main menu   Ford's Description of the Lakes, 1839/1843

button title page
button previous page button next page
Page 132:-
  Penrith Castle
ruins of the Castle are on the west side of the town: it is thought or have been built about the end of the fourteenth century, during the reign of Edward IV, and was once the residence of Richard of Glo'ster. It was dismantled in the civil wars. From the remaining parts of the walls, the Castle seems to have been a very strong and spacious fortress, with the usual accompaniments of dungeons. On the north side of the town is the excellent race-course, furnished with a grand-stand, built in 1814. Horse-races and stag-hunts are held in the autumn, and attract a large concourse of spectators. At the George inn is a spacious assembly-room, and at the Crown a news-room, which, with libraries, form a fund of amusement for the inhabitants.
  Penrith Beacon
Above the race-course, on the point of a wood-embowered hill, stands the Beacon, which the traveller may visit for the purpose of seeing from a moderate elevation the country lying around, and thus forming a correct idea of the relative situation of places of interest. To the north, Cross Fell is the most conspicuous object, nor can the Pikes of Dufton escape the eye, with the range of mountains reaching from east to west of Carlisle. Stainmore and the heights of Wildbore Fell, towards Kirkby Stephen, fill the east. On the south are Lowther and Brougham, with their teeming plains and luxuriant woods; and the circle on the west is enriched with the town of Penrith and the rural vale of Eamont, overtopped by Skiddaw.
gazetteer links
button -- "Beacon, The" -- Penrith Beacon
button -- Penrith Castle
button -- "Penrith" -- Penrith
button -- (race course, Penrith)
button -- station, Beacon Hill
button next page

button to main menu Lakes Guides menu.