button to main menu   Ford's Description of the Lakes, 1839/1843

button title page
button previous page button next page
Page 131:-
the windows also have some good pieces of painted glass in them.
We shall now, leaving behind the sweet-flowing Eden, quickly reach the market-town of

Penrith and excursions
Vulgarly called Perith, an ancient, respectable, and well-built town, consisting chiefly of one long street, at the junction of the roads from London and Manchester to Glasgow. The houses, built of stone, are generally plastered and whitewashed. In 1807 the town was much improved by the removal of the market-cross, shambles, and moot-hall; and the south entrance from Appleby has lately been widened and carried by a gentle curve out of the town, instead of by a narrow, crooked, and dangerous road, as it formerly was. The markets and fairs are well attended, and rank high as marts for agricultural produce.
  Giant's Grave
The parish church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a large structure, rebuilt in 1722, by a rate and subscription: the tower, which contains a set of very sweet chimes, is ancient. In the churchyard is a curious relic of antiquity, called the Giant's Grave, consisting of two large pillars, ten feet in height, and distant fifteen feet from each other in the direction of east and west, having the space between them partly enclosed on each side by four large thin stones. Near them is another pillar named the Giant's Thumb, but it is six feet in height. The
gazetteer links
button -- "Crown Hotel" -- Crown Inn
button -- "George Inn" -- George Hotel
button -- "Giant's Grave" -- Giant's Grave
button -- "Giant's Thumb" -- Giant's Thumb
button -- "Penrith" -- Penrith
button -- St Andrew's Church
button -- St Cuthbert's Church
button next page

button to main menu Lakes Guides menu.