button to main menu   Ford's Description of the Lakes, 1839/1843

button title page
button previous page button next page
Page 74:-
Abbey; and on the opposite side of the stream are the vestiges of a Roman encampment. From the Bridge Inn there is a sweetly-wooded walk along the banks of the stream, which presents several glimpses of the solemn ruins, the tower rising magnificently out of the massy foliage of the forest trees, by which it is now enveloped. Ranulph, son of the first Ranulph de Meschiens, founded this Abbey for Cisterican (sic) monks in 1134; its revenues at the dissolution amounted only to £64 3s. 9. None of the conventual buildings remain; Mr. Irwin's house most probably stands upon their site. The church was of the usual cross form. The south side of the nave is gone. The west door is good Norman, but plain. The nave consists of five arches in length, pointed, and the mouldings flat: all this part is richly covered with ivy. The centre tower stands on four pointed arches, supported by lofty piers. The east end of the choir is gone; it has had no lateral lights, but the walls are adorned with long slender pillars and niches; and on the south side are four circular niches, foliated, one being pierced as a door. There are the remains of cloisters on the south side, sufficient to show them to have been beautiful specimens of early English. There are some old monuments with recumbent figures. The grounds are kept in excellent order; the greensward is beautiful; and no noxious weeds are allowed to disfigure the precincts of this once-hallowed shrine.
  Ponsonby Hall
A short distance west from the inns, is Ponsonby
gazetteer links
button -- "Calder Abbey" -- Calder Abbey
button -- Golden Fleece
button -- "Ponsonby Hall" -- Ponsonby Old Hall
button -- Stanley Arms
button next page

button to main menu Lakes Guides menu.