button to main menu   Ford's Description of the Lakes, 1839/1843

button title page
button previous page button next page
Page 20:-
rebuilt, and many new streets erected during late years. The whiteness of the houses is greatly enlivened by the number of poplars which grow about them, the long range of hanging gardens on the west, and the sloping meads and plantations on the east, where the Kent washes the skirts of the town, and is crossed by three good bridges. The completion of the canal to Lancaster, in 1819, gave a powerful impulse to the building spirit of the inhabitants, which still continues to extend the limits of the town, and to improve its general appearance and accommodations.
  Kendal Castle
  Catharine Parr
  White Hall

The chief objects of interest are the castle, of which four broken towers and part of the outer wall still remain. In 1813, the foundations were strengthened and skirted with a thriving plantation, enriching the view from the town. This fortress, the seat of the Barons of Kendal, and birth-place of Catherine Parr, stands on the east side of the Kent, upon a hill composed of rounded stones, embedded in a black sandy cement. It is well worth visiting, both from the beauty of its commanding situation, and from the interest always excited by the venerable relics of former days. Opposite the castle, on the west side of the town, is Castlehow-hill: on this eminence the inhabitants, in 1788, erected an obelisk to commemorate the glorious revolution of 1688. The White Hall, a large public edifice, with handsome stone fronts, looking into Lowther-street and High-gate, was built in 1825, from a design by the late Mr. Webster, architect,
gazetteer links
button -- Kendal Castle
button -- "Kendal" -- Kendal
button -- Lancaster Canal
button -- (memorial, Kendal)
button -- "White Hall" -- (Town Hall, Kendal)
button next page

button to main menu Lakes Guides menu.