button to main menu   Ford's Description of the Lakes, 1839/1843

button title page
button previous page button next page
Page 21:-
  Holy Trinity, Kendal
at the cost of £6000. It is one hundred and forty-eight feet long, and thirty-seven broad, having the principal entrance ornamented by a receding balcony, fronted with columns and pilasters of the Ionic order, supporting a pediment. A handsome circular lantern gives light to the billiard-room, besides which, are a library, news-room, and elegant ball-room. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, stands in the township of Kirkland; it is one hundred and eighty feet long, and ninety-nine feet broad, consisting of five aisles, divided by arches, which spring from eight pillars. The tower, seventy-two feet in height, is very strong, and contains a peel of ten bells. In the church are four chapels, three of which belonged to the Parrs, Stricklands, and Bellinghams; the other is the proper choir of the church, though called the Alderman's choir, because they were wont to sit there. The Stricklands of Sizergh Hall still use their chapel as a burial-place, and several of the family lie entombed there under a rich marble monument. This church was given by Ivo de Talebois to St. Mary's Abbey, York, and granted, after the dissolution, by Queen Mary, to Trinity College, Cambridge, to which the patronage, great tithes, tithes of wool and lamb, still belong. Saint George's chapel fronts the Market-place and Strickland-gate. Another chapel, in the lancet style, has been erected and consecrated also by the present bishop of the diocese.
Kendal was governed by a corporation formerly
gazetteer links
button -- Holy Trinity Church
button -- "Kendal" -- Kendal
button -- "Saint George's Chapel" -- St George's Church
button -- St Thomas's Church
button -- "White Hall" -- (Town Hall, Kendal)
button next page

button to main menu Lakes Guides menu.