button to main menu   West's Guide to the Lakes, 1778/1821

button title page
button previous page button next page
Page 184:-
Overborough. The line of the foss may be still traced, though much defaced by the plough. Altars, coins, and inscribed stones, have been found here. And in the wall of the barn, on the very area of the station, is still legible, the inscription preserved by Mr. Horsley,[1] to the memory of two freed men, with an imprecation against any one who should contaminate their sepulchre, and a fine to the fiscal. There is also an altar without an inscription, and a Silenus without a head. At a small distance is a pyramidal knoll, crowned with a single tree, called Sattury, where probably something dedicated to the god Saturn has stood. Pass through the village of Natland, and on the crest of a green hill, on the left, called Helm, are the vestiges of a castellum, called Castle-steads, which, during the residence of the watchmen at Watercrook, corresponded (by smoke in the day, and flame in the night) with the garrison at Lancaster, by the beacon on Warton-crag. There is a house at a distance to the north, called Watch-house, where Roman coins have been found.
  Levens Force etc
Proceed through Sedgwick,[2] and fall in with the course of the river at Force-bridge,
[1] Brit. page 300.
[2] Near this place are large works for the manufactory of gunpowder.
button next page
gazetteer links
button -- "Castle Steads" -- Castlesteads
button -- Force Bridge
button -- Sedgwick Gunpowder Mills
button -- "Sattury" -- Sattury
button -- station, Force Bridge
button -- "Concangium" -- Watercrook

button to main menu Lakes Guides menu.