button to main menu  Camden's Britannia, edn 1789

button title page
button previous page button next page
button start of Cumberland
Page 184:-
  Pl. IX. f.1.
are supplied like Camden's), and Wormius 37, near half of which bear no resemblance to the others. Mr. Hutchinson's drawing of this font 1775 is the last, and bears no resemblance to the others, nor probably to the rudeness of the original, and the inscription is still less faithful. The copy of the letters here given from Mr. Bell, the rector, to Dr. Burn, may be presumed to be the most exact: he sent the drawings &c. to bishop Lyttelton as engraved [q].
The father of sir Joseph Williamson, secretary of state to Charles II. and one of the plenipotentiaries at the treaty of Cologne 1674, and a great benefactor to Queen's college, Oxford, where he was educated, was rector of Bridekirk.
"On the west side of Darwent is a pretty creke, whereas shyppes come to where ys a pretty litle fisher town called Wyrkenton, and there is the chief house of sir Thomas Curwyn [r]." It subsists by the coal trade, and has near 100 vessels. The castle is the seat of Henry Curwen, esq. It has a large desmene, and has always been remarkable for fine cattle of all sorts. Here are salt-pans and a good colliery; a large salmon fishery, and much sea fish [s].
The Curwen family is a very antient and respectable one. Their principal residence has long been at Workington hall in the county of Cumberland, where they had large possessions in landed property and coal mines. The last gentleman of that name and family was Henry Curwen, esq.; late member for the county. It was chiefly by his interest that sir James Lowther, now earl of Lonsdale, lost his parliamentary interest in the famous contested election for Cumberland in the year 1768, when Henry Fletcher, esq; now a baronet, first obtained a seat in the House of Commons in conjunction with Mr. Curwen, who sat in the preceding parliament for the city of Carlisle. He left an only daughter, heiress to all his large possessions, who was married about three years ago, very young, to her paternal first cousin John Christian, esq; of Unerigg hall in the same county. It is remarkable of this lady, that she was the last and only living child of a great number, her mother, the late Mrs. Curwen, formerly Miss Gale, of Whitehaven, having had fifteen or more children, previous to the present lady, all either still born or that died within a few minutes after their birth.
On a pillar at the south-east end of the minster at Lincoln is fixed a small square marble slab with this inscription:

"Here lieth Anne Curwen, daughter of sir
Nicholas Curwen, of Workington in the
county of Cumberland, knt. who died the
XIII of April 1606, aet. 21."
Arms in a lozenge, Arg. Frettè G a chief Az. Crest on a torse a horse passant.
The mansion-house is a large quadrangular building, which still bears marks of great antiquity, notwithstanding various alterations and improvements, which have been made duting the last thirty years. The walls are so remarkably thick, that they were able, a few years since, in making some improvements to excavate a passage sufficiently wide lengthways through one of the walls, leaving a proper thickness on each side of the passage to answer every purpose of strength.
  Mary Queen of Scots
It was within a very short distance of this house where the river Darwent empties itself into the sea that the unhappy Mary queen of Scots landed in 1568, after her escape from the castle of Dunbar, and subsequent defeat. She took refuge at this house, and was hospitably entertained by sir Henry Curwen, till the pleasure of Elizabeth was known; when she was removed first to Cockermouth castle and then to Carlisle. The chamber in which she slept at Workington hall is still called the Queen's chamber.
We have before seen that Horsley [t] removes ARBEIA to Moresby, which others had placed at Workington on no better authority than the Burrough walls, about a mile from the town, which are still standing, though no more than one of those old towers so common in the north, and sometimes called Burgh or Brugh; but it has no other evidences of its having been a Roman station.
The rectory of Workington, worth 400£. per ann. is held by Mr. William Thomas Addison, who married a sister of Mr. Curwen, his patron, and has a son in the East-Indies.
  Seaton Priory
At Seaton alias Lekely on the opposite side of the Coker, was a Benedictine nunnery, valued at £.12 12s. per ann. [u]
We have already seen how little pretension Ireby has to Roman antiquity.
  roman fort, Ellenborough
  roman inscription

There is perhaps no one station in Britain where so many inscriptions have been found as at Elenborough. The originals are yet preserved at the hall, the seat of Humphry Senhouse, esq; descendant of John Senhouse, esq; whose politeness he possesses in the fullest degree. The first of the altars, described by Mr. Camden, is the finest and most curious ever discovered in Britain. It was found in this station, and removed from Elenborough house to Flat hall the seat of sir James Lowther, near Whitehaven, where it is carefully preserved. Though the altar is fine the inscription is coarse, and, towards the end, nearly effaced [x], by which I understand that more is effaced than was in Mr. Camden's time. Peregrinus was tribune of a cohort from Mauritania Caesariensis, and repaired the houses and apartments of the decuriones [y]. Wishes for the health of a person equivalent to Volanti vivas are not uncommon. We have in Gruter MCII. 8. Cureti vivas on a Sicilian inscription [z]. Petrei Bibas [a] for vivas on a tessera in Montfaucon. They inscribed their ardent wishes for the health of their friends on the altars, as most effectual to secure the divine protection for them [b]. Mr. Camden takes Volanti for Volantum, the name of this station, which Mr. Horsley makes Virosedum. What Mr. Camden calls a disc is a wheel, the symbol of fortune; his pear is a leaf or pine-apple, as on the fascia of the altar; and what he puts between the two suns at the top Stukeley makes a bust and Horsley a wheat-sheaf [c].
The next altar is now in the end wall of a stable at Drumburgh, formerly the seat of the Dacres, now of lord Lonsdale, to which it was removed from Ilkirk by John Aglionby, esq. It is broken through the middle by a tool which has damaged the 5th line [d]. Apronianus and Bradua were consuls A.D. 191, under Commodus.
[q] Burn, 101. 103.
[r] Lel. VII. 71.
[s] Burn, II. 55.
[t] Horsl. 483.
[u] Tan. 7. Burn, II. 17.
[x] Horsl. 281. Cumb. lxviii.
[y] Gale MS. n. supplies it Decuriae rest. Gruter, cvii. 5. gives it Decor.
[z] Gale MS. n.
[a] Gruter, MCX.
[b] Stuk. II. 4.
[c] Cumb. LXVIII.
[d] Ib. LVII. p.277.
gazetteer links
button -- Port of Workington
button -- (roman fort, Maryport)
button -- Seaton Hall
button -- "Seaton" -- Seaton
button -- St Bridget's Church
button -- "Workington Hall" -- Workington Hall
button -- "Wyrkenton" -- Workington
button next page

button to main menu Lakes Guides menu.