button to main menu   West's Guide to the Lakes, 1778/1821

button title page
button previous page button next page
Page 146:-
taken up, about two feet and a half high, made of very coarse earth, and crusted on both sides with a brown clay, the tops remarkably wide, and covered with a red flat stone. Besides ashes and bones, each urn had a small cup within it, of a fine clay, in the shape of a tea-cup. One was pierced in the centre of the bottom part. The place where they were taken up is called Loddon-how, within twenty yards of the road between Penrith and Skelton, and about 200 yards from the Roman road, and four miles from the station. Also, on the banks of the Petteral, a few roods from the south corner of the station, a curious altar was lately found. It was three feet four inches in height, and near sixteen inches square. It had been thrown down from the upper ground, and the corners broken off in the fall. The front had been filled with an inscription; the letters short and square, but not one word remains legible. On the right hand side is the patera, with a handle, and underneath the secespita. On the opposite side is the ampula, and from its lip a serpent or viper descends in waves. The back part is rude, as if intended to stand against a wall. The emblems are in excellent preservation [1].
[1] This curious altar, after being some time in the possession of the late Dr. James, of Arthuret, was removed into the valuable collection of antiquities at Netherby.
button next page
gazetteer links
button -- "Petteral" -- Petteril, River
button -- (roman fort, Whitbarrow)
button -- (roman road, Brougham to Moresby)

button to main menu Lakes Guides menu.