|previous page next page|
from old Penrith, or Plumpton-wall, in a line almost due west to Keswick. Upon the moor are the traces of a large encampment that the road traverses. And a little beyond the eighth mile-post, on the left, at Whitbarrow, are strong vestiges of a square encampment. The Roman road, beyond that, is met with, in the inclosed fields of Whitbarrow, and is known by the farmers by the opposition they meet in ploughing across it. After that it is found entirely on the common called Greystock Low-moor; and lately they have formed a new road on the agger of it. It proceeds in a right line to Greystock town, where it makes a flexure to the left, and continues in a line to Blencow; it is then found in a ploughed field, about 200 yards to the north of Little-Blencow, pointing at Coach-gate; from thence it passes on the north side of Kellbarrow, and through Cow-close, and was discovered in making the new turnpike road from Penrith to Cockermouth, which it crossed near the toll-gate. From thence it stretches over Whitrigg in a right line, is visible on the edge of the wood at Fair-bank, and in the lane called Low-street. From thence it points through inclosed land to the south end of the station called Plumpton-wall, and old Penrith. It crosses the brook Petteral, at Topinholme.
In the year 1772, near Little-Blencow, in removing a heap of stones, two urns were
|-- (roman road, Brougham to Moresby)|
|Lakes Guides menu.|