button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
Carlisle Gaol, Carlisle
Carlisle Gaol
Street:-   Borough Street
locality:-   Carlisle
civil parish:-   Carlisle (formerly Cumberland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   gaol
locality type:-   prison
coordinates:-   NY40095563 (listed remains) 
coordinates:-   NY40145565 (etc) 
1Km square:-   NY4055
10Km square:-   NY45
references:-   Thurnam 1835

CFL71.jpg (taken 7.9.2016)  
CFL72.jpg (taken 7.9.2016)  

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Cmd 23 7) 
placename:-  County Gaol
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.

evidence:-   probably old text:- Gents Mag
placename:-  Cumberland County Gaol
source data:-   Magazine, The Gentleman's Magazine or Monthly Intelligencer or Historical Chronicle, published by Edward Cave under the pseudonym Sylvanus Urban, and by other publishers, London, monthly from 1731 to 1922.
image G8060102, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1806 p.102  "Mr. Nield's Remarks on Cumberland &c. Gaols."
"CUMBERLAND COUNTY GOAL at CARLISLE. Joseph Mullender, gaoler, 40l.; and a blacksmith for his attendance, 2l. 2s. per annum. Fees, debtors, 11s.; felons, 13s 4d. For the conveyance of transports, one shilling per mile if less than 5, but if they exceed that number 9d. per mile. Garnish, 1s. 6d. Chaplain, Rev. Mr. Mark; duty, prayers and sermon on Sunday; salary 20l. Surgeon, Mr. Hodgkin, salary, 5l. 5s. for attendance: medicines paid for by bill. Allowance. Debtors, on applying to the Justices, obtain 1s. 3d. a week; felons 2s. a week."
"The court spacious, 85 yards by 36; has a pump with fine water; it was formerly common to all prisoners, but now a part is appropriated to the felons, 15 yards by 8, and separated by iron pallisades; through which they can converse with the debtors, or any persons who visit there. The gaoler's house is at one end of the court, and the chapel (built, as appears by the date, in 1734) adjoins, and where the prisoners mix indiscriminately to hear divine service."
"Master's side, debtors have five rooms in the keeper's house, for which they pay 2s. 6d. per week; two sleep in a bed. Commons side, debtors have 4 free wards, 28 feet by 18, and a small room; but they are in a very dirty and ruinous state; with windows opening into the court; formerly they looked into the street. The sexes are separate at night, but together all day. The wards for felons are 2 rooms, down a step or two; dark, damp, and dirty; one of them, 7 yards by 5, the day room, which serves likewise as a night room, had a window to the street; through which spiritous liquors and tools for mischief might easily be conveyed, but it is now bricked up. The condemned room is only 11 feet by 9. There are two rooms over these, called the house of correction, where women are lodged; and straw only is allowed to those prisoners who cannot pay for a bed. Transports have not the king's allowance of 2s. 6d. a week. No infirmary; no bath: Act for preserving the health of prisoners, and clauses against spiritous liquors, not hung up. Number of prisoners, April 1st, 1800; debtors, 28; felons, &c. 5. January 30th 1802, debtors, 4; felons, &c. 8. September 20th 1802, debtors 16; felons, &c. 7. This gaol is in a very ruinous and dilapidated state, but there is an excellent situation near the castle, where I was informed a new gaol was proposed to be built; the session house might likewise adjoin, the present one being very old, and very inconvenient from its being in the middle of the town, and distant from the prison."

 notes about bells

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"County Gaol wall. 1824-7 by Christopher Hodgson. High snecked red sandstone wall without plinth, with rounded coping. Extends from the Crown Court down Court Square Brow, along Borough Street and up Bush Brow, enclosing the former gaol yard. Nearest the Crown Court the wall stands to its full original height of almost 10 metres, with the blocked archway into the former stone yard. Along Borough Street and Bush Brow its height has been reduced. The squared gate piers on Bush Brow are not 1820s but are included for group value. Christopher Hodgson's original drawings for the gaol and this wall, dated 1824, are in Carlisle Library. For a further section of this wall, see Hospital Wing of County Gaol and Gaol Wall, English Street (qv)."

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Hospital wing of County Gaol, now offices, and gaol wall. 1824-7 by Christopher Hodgson. Red sandstone ashlar, extensively restored, with solid parapet, battlemented on the English Street facade. Flat lead roof. 2 storeys, numerous bays. Facing onto English Street is the gaol wall on chamfered plinth with regularly-placed blind lancets with single metal bar. On the top on the angle of the wall, public executions were performed and a cast plaque records the last one in 1862. The wall joins with the Crown Court offices and is an integral part of those offices. The rear of the wall has built against it the hospital wing. 2 off-centre former segmental-arched doorways are now infilled and fitted with casement windows in stone surrounds, some paired."
"INTERIOR alterations, but the solitary confinement cell is still complete with its iron door and peep hole, now used as a strong room. For further details see Perriam, CWAAS, Trans.NS LXXVII. (Cumb. & West. Antiquarian &Archaeological Soc., New Series: Perriam DR: LXXXVII: The dating of the County Goal: P.129-140)."

evidence:-   old print:- Thurnam 1835
placename:-  Old Gaol
source data:-   Print, uncoloured lithograph, The English Gate and Old Gaol, Carlisle, Cumberland, drawn by M E Nutter, lithographed by Giles, published by Charles Thurnam, Carlisle, Cumberland, by Ackermann and Co, by Hodgson, Boys, and Graves, and by Charles Tilt, London, 1835.
image  click to enlarge
Printed by Graf and Soret. 
Included in Carlisle in the Olden Time. 
printed at bottom:-  "Drawn by M. E. Nutter. / Giles lith. / THE ENGLISH GATE & OLD GAOL. / Published by Charles Thurnam. / London. Ackermann & Co. - Hodgson, Boys, and Graves & Charles Tilt. / Printed by Graf &Soret."
item:-  Dove Cottage : 2008.123.4
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old painting:- 
source data:-   Painting, watercolour, The English Gate and Gaol, Carlisle, Cumberland, by Robert Carlyle snr, 1791.
image  click to enlarge
Courtyard framed on two sides by English Gate to rear and the jail, which stands at right angles to it, to right. In centre foreground stand four figures; a lady and three gentlemen. To far right of composition a man walks past, reading a pamphlet (?) as he walks; a dead rabbit hangs limply from his right hand. To left, an elderly man approaches the doorway of the building which stands opposite the jail. Wooded landscape lies beyond. 
One of a set of 11 original drawings for proposed aquatints The Antiquities of the City of Carlisle, 1791 
inscribed at bottom centre:-  "The ENGLISH GATE and GAOL, CARLISLE."
item:-  Tullie House Museum : 1935.80.3
Image © Tullie House Museum

evidence:-   old painting:- 
source data:-   Painting, watercolour, The English Gate, Carlisle, Cumberland, by W Hetherington, about 1880.
image  click to enlarge
View of the English Gate in the centre of the composition with Carlisle Gaol to the right and buildings to the left. A chimney produces smoke from a building beyond the Gate. A small building has been erected on top of the English Gate. A man draws a horse and cart in the foreground. 
Based on original watercolour by Robert Carlyle dated 1791. 
signed at bottom right:-  "W Hetherington"
item:-  Tullie House Museum : 2004.1.20
Image © Tullie House Museum

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.