button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
Punch Bowl, North Stainmore
Punch Bowl
locality:-   South Stainmore
civil parish:-   Stainmore (formerly Westmorland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   buildings
locality type:-   inn (ex) 
coordinates:-   NY83041509
1Km square:-   NY8315
10Km square:-   NY81

BMI31.jpg (taken 7.7.2006)  

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Wmd 17 13) 
placename:-  Punchbowl Inn
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.

evidence:-   old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd) 
placename:-  Punch Bowl
source data:-   Map, 4 sheets, The County of Westmoreland, scale 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed 1768, and engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
"Punch Bowl"
circle, labelled in italic lowercase text; settlement, farm, house, or hamlet? 
item:-  National Library of Scotland : EME.s.47
Image © National Library of Scotland

evidence:-   old map:- Cary 1789 (edn 1805) 
placename:-  Punch Bowl
source data:-   Map, uncoloured engraving, Westmoreland, scale about 2.5 miles to 1 inch, by John Cary, London, 1789; edition 1805.
"Punch Bowl"
block/s, labelled in italic lowercase; house, or hamlet 
item:-  JandMN : 129
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   possibly old map:- Cooke 1802
placename:-  New Inn
source data:-   Map, Westmoreland ie Westmorland, scale about 12 miles to 1 inch, by George Cooke, 1802, published by Sherwood, Jones and Co, Paternoster Road, London, 1824.
image  click to enlarge
"New Inn"
blocks; inn 
item:-  Hampshire Museums : FA2000.62.4
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Punchbowl Inn
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"PUNCHBOWL INN / / A66 / STAINMORE / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II / 73380 / NY8303415080"
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Inn, late C18/early C19 with later additions and alterations. Rendered rubble with quoins; 1st floor sill band. Graduated slate roof to main building has corniced stone chimneys; lower extension adjoining east end has hipped graduated slate roof. Symmetrical 2-storey, 5-bay front has central panelled door in pedimented doorcase with Tuscan pilasters; sashes with glazing bars in stone surrounds. Extension has plank door in stone surround with sash above; 3 floors of sashes to east return. C20 addition to west end not included."

ghost story:-  
It is said that two men who had stolen some treasure fell out, and one of them was killed. His ghost was seen in a passageway near the kitchens; his treasure is still buried in the grounds, of course.

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.