button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Storrs Hall
other name:- Storrs
other name:- Storrs Hall Hotel
locality:- Storrs
parish Windermere parish, once in Westmorland
county:- Cumbria
building/s
coordinates:- SD39269413
10Km square:- SD39

1Km square SD3994

photograph

Storrs Hall -- Storrs -- Windermere -- Cumbria / -- 12.5.2008

source:- Philip/Wilson 1890s

thumbnail PHW1E014, button to large image
STORRS HALL.
date:- 1895
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

source:- Philip/Wilson 1890s

thumbnail PHW1Ad03, button to large image
date:- 1895
period:- 19th century, late; 1890s

old print:- Bemrose 1881

thumbnail BEM107, button to large image
Print, uncoloured, Storrs Hall, Windermere, Westmorland, published by Bemrose and Sons, 23 Old Bailey, London and Derby, by A B Moss, Carlisle, Cumberland, and by T Wilson, Kendal, Westmorland, about 1881.
On p.38 of a Handy Guide to the English Lakes and Shap Spa.
printed at bottom:-
STORRS HALL.

placename:- Storrs Hall @@@
date:- 1881
period:- 19th century, late

old map:- Prior 1874 map 1

Map, Winander Mere, scale about 2.5 miles to 1 inch, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, 1874.
thumbnail PI03M1, button to large image
Storr's Hall
block/s; building/s

placename:- Storr's Hall
date:- 1874
period:- 19th century, late; 1870s

old map:- Garnett 1850s-60s H

Map of the English Lakes, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, 1850s-60s.
thumbnail GAR2SD39, button to large image
Storrs Hall
block, building

placename:- Storrs Hall
date:- 1850=1869
period:- 19th century, late; 1850s; 1860s

old map:- Ford 1839 map

Map of the Lake District, published in A Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, 1839.
thumbnail FD02SD39, button to large image
Storrs Hall
Building and park.

placename:- Storrs Hall
county:- Westmoreland
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

descriptive text:- Otley 1823 (5th edn 1834)

Guidebook, Concise Description of the English Lakes, later A Description of the English Lakes, by Jonathan Otley, published by the author, Keswick, Cumberland, by J Richardson, London, and by Arthur Foster, Kirky Lonsdale, Cumbria, 1823 onwards.
image OT01P004, button   goto source.
Page 4:-
... Storrs-Hall, the mansion of Colonel Bolton, is beautifully situated upon a low promontory, ...

placename:- Storrs Hall
person:- : Bolton, Colonel
date:- 1823
period:- 19th century, early; 1820s

source:- Otley 1818

New Map of the District of the Lakes, in Westmorland, Cumberland, and Lancashire, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Jonathan Otley, engraved by J and G Menzies, Edinburgh, Lothian, Scotland, published by J Otley, Keswick, Cumberland now Cumbria, 1818; pblished 1818 to 1850s.
image OT02SD39, button   goto source.
thumbnail OT02SD39, button to large image

placename:- Stors

road book:- Cary 1798 (2nd edn 1802)

Road book, Cary's New Itinerary, by John Cary, published by G and J Cary, 86 St James's Street, London, 1798-1828.
thumbnail C38653, button to large image
page 653-654
About 3 Miles on r. of Bouland Bridge is Stores, Sir John Ledger.

placename:- Stores
person:- : Ledger, John, Sir
date:- 1802
period:- 19th century, early; 1800s

old map:- Clarke 1787 map (Windermere S)

Map series, lakes and roads to the Lakes, by James Clarke, engraved by S J Neele, 352 Strand, London, included in A Survey of the Lakes of Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire, published by James Clarke, Penrith, and in London etc, from 1787 to 1793.
thumbnail CLBSD39X, button to large image
Storcs / Mr. Elleray

placename:- Storcs
house
person:- : Elleray, Mr
date:- 1787
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s

old map:- Crosthwaite 1783-94 (Win/Ble)

Series of maps, An Accurate Map of the Matchless Lake of Derwent, of the Grand Lake of Windermere, of the Beautiful Lake of Ullswater, of Broadwater or Bassenthwaite Lake, of Coniston Lake, of Buttermere, Crummock and Loweswater Lakes, and Pocklington's Island, by Peter Crosthwaite, Kendal, Cumberland now Cumbria, 1783 to 1794.
thumbnail CT9SD39W, button to large image
Storrs Hall / Coll. Boulton
block, building/s

placename:- Storrs Hall
person:- : Boulton, Colonel
date:- 1783=1794
period:- 18th century, late; 1780s; 1790s

descriptive text:- West 1778 (11th edn 1821) -- probably relevant

Guide book, A Guide to the Lakes, by Thomas West, published by William Pennington, Kendal, Cumbria once Westmorland, and in London, 1778 to 1821.
image WS21P071, button   goto source.
Page 71, footnote:-
On the banks of Windermere-water, have been lately built many elegant villas; by ... John Bolton, Esq. Storrs; ... These objects, as works of art, most of which are done in styles suitable to their situation, give an air of consequence to the country, ...
locality:- Storrs
person:- : Bolton, John
date:- 1778
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd)

Map, The County of Westmoreland, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed by J Ainslie and perhaps T Donald, engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
thumbnail J5SD39SE, button to large image
Stores
blocks, labelled in italic lowercase text; settlement, village?

placename:- Stores
county:- Westmorland
date:- 1770
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
STORRS HALL / / NEWBY BRIDGE ROAD / WINDERMERE TOWN / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 351696 / SD3926294134
courtesy of English Heritage
Simple classical villa, mid 1790s, for Sir John Legard, transformed c1808-9 by Joseph Gandy for John Bolton. The clerk of works was Francis Webster. Converted to a hotel c1892 by Joseph Pattinson, who heightened the service wing to a uniform three storeys.
EXTERIOR: The central building and wings are faced with sandstone ashlar, the facing having been applied to the central building for John Bolton. The stone for the work of 1808-9 is said to have come from the quarry on the Holker estate, 15 miles from Storrs. Now stuccoed. The service wing is of rendered rubble. The main house is two storeys, the original mid-1790s house forming the central portion - square, three bays wide, with canted central bay to south elevation - whilst the work of c1808-9 added wings to east and west, slightly taller than the original house, and projecting to north and south. The wings are one bay wide and three bays deep; a service wing is built on to the east end of the east wing. The corners of the bays have shallow angle pilasters with sunk faces, the bays of the wings separated by identical pilasters. Above, a plain entablature supports a blind parapet. The north and south elevations of the wings have tripartite ground-floor windows with thick scrolled console brackets supporting triangular pediments; the first-floor windows have moulded surrounds, their sides terminating in moulded block capitals. Identical first-floor windows on the west elevation of the west wing; on the ground floor, the central window is tripartite with pediment but without brackets, the outer windows have scrolled brackets supporting flat hoods with lotus bud cresting. Sash windows; a number of those in the west wing retain their original frames with brass glazing bars. On the north elevation, the projecting wings are linked by an entrance loggia of c1808-9. A Greek Doric colonnade between screen walls with niches; originally empty, these contain pedestals and lamps. The columns are of the Samian type, the upper parts of the columns and pilasters being fluted. The entablature supports a parapet of fleshy lotus buds. The doorway, remodelled by Gandy, has a central opening with overlight flanked by narrow windows, the whole crowned by four console brackets supporting an entablature decorated with stylised rosettes. On the south elevation, the wings are linked by a verandah, also c1808-9, with canted bay following that of the original house. This has been substantially altered, and is now glazed. The lotus-bud parapet has been lost, but Gandy's geometric openwork wooden panels framing the bays survive. The eastern service wing, originally in three parts, of differing heights, was raised to a uniform three storeys c1892; moulded bands survive, indicating the heights of the original walls. The central range contains a courtyard. An original tripartite ground-floor window remains in the south wall of the easternmost range, and at the centre of the east elevation of this wall is the original round-headed entrance to the courtyard.
INTERIOR: On the north side is the entrance hall, with a segmental-arched opening leading into the central rotunda. This circular hall, created by Gandy, has a balustraded first floor gallery, surmounted by a domed lantern rising from an entablature with a scalloped, fluted frieze, the dome having moulded ribs and a central roundel incorporating a flower burst. The glass is light blue, orange, and yellow. To the west is the stair hall, where Gandy inserted a new cantilevered staircase with decorative brass balustrade lit by an oval dome, and replaced a wall with a screen comprising an Ionic column and pilasters; at first-floor level the detailing is Composite. To the south is a large room with the original late C18 enriched cornice, opening on to the canted bay overlooking the lake. In the west wing, at ground-floor level, are two rooms, not originally interconnected as they now are. The southern room has a pair of doorways flanking the fireplace. The doors - mahogany, with ebony beading and strips of brass inlay - are unusual in having two panels above one wider panel. The marble chimneypiece has female figures to either side, and a panel depicting Leda and the Swan in the centre. A luxuriant cornice, featuring acanthus leaves and scrolls, runs around the main part of the room; the ceilings of the northern and southern bays are slightly lower. C20 panels and roundels now decorate the walls, which were originally plain. In the larger room on the ground floor of the east wing, originally the dining room, Gandy's idiosyncratic flair is strongly in evidence. The room has four doorcases, each with moulded architrave surmounted by frieze and cornice, the frieze with a running vine scroll incorporating alternating vine leaves and bunches of grapes. There are two original mahogany doors each with six beaded panels. The black marble chimneypiece has diagonally-set fluted columns and a central gilt brass winged head. To the south of this room is a passage providing access to the house from the service wing. Most of the first-floor rooms retain cornices of the late C18 and early C19, and panelled window reveals, but no chimneypieces survive. The basement contained the service rooms when the house was first built, with cellars along the north and east sides. The whole was used as cellars after Gandy built the new service wing, the original eastern subterranean access tunnel being extended under the service wing. The rooms and cellars, which have segmental stone vaults, have received little structural alteration.
To the north of the house is a boathouse, probably built in the mid 1790s, at the same time as the original house. To the west of the house, at the end of a causeway into the lake, is a temple, now known as Storrs Temple (q.v.), built by Sir John Legard to honour four naval heroes, probably not long after 1797. Considerably further NNE, and no longer within the Storrs Hall grounds is a lodge, designed by Gandy c1806.
HISTORY: Storrs Hall was built by Sir John Legard, sixth baronet of Ganton in Yorkshire (c1758-1808). An officer in the Royal Horse Guards, and a man of letters, Sir John frequently visited the continent with his wife, living for a time in Switzerland. The time they spent at a villa near Lake Geneva in 1791 may have inspired the wish to live in the Lake District; Sir John was a keen sailor. In the early 1790s he bought the land on Lake Windermere, where numerous villas were built during the second half of the eighteenth century, as the popularity of the Lake District grew. Storrs Hall was finished by 1797. The house and its owner were noted features of the area, commented on by several visitors; William Wilberforce called on Sir John in 1795, when the house may have been under construction, but found him not at home. Legard built a boathouse early in his occupation, and in 1804 an undated design for another, much more ambitious boathouse, was exhibited at the Royal Academy by Joseph Gandy, who was soon to remodel Storrs Hall for another owner. Sir John also built a little temple celebrating British naval triumphs of the mid 1790s. He enjoyed sailing, and racing, his own boat, 'Victory', and when crippled by gout in later life, he was carried on board.
In 1804 Legard sold the house to David Pike Watts, a London wine merchant and uncle of the painter John Constable, who had recently inherited a fortune from his employer. His almoner, Mr Worgan, who lived in a cottage at Storrs, entertained members of the local literary and artistic circle, who at least once breakfasted in the temple. Constable stayed with Mr Worgan during a visit to the Lake District in 1806. But Pike himself does not appear to have spent much time at Storrs, and in 1806 he settled in London. He made no significant alterations to Storrs Hall.
The next owner of Storrs was John Bolton (1756-1837). Bolton was born in Ulverston, the son of an apothecary, and was educated at the Town Bank Grammar School. He was then apprenticed to the firm of Rawlinson & Chorley, West India merchants and shipowners; after two or three years, aged about 17, he was sent to St Vincent. An acquaintance recalled seeing him shortly after his arrival, dressed in a sailor's jacket and trousers and carrying a bag of potatoes and a cheese - goods which formed his own private property to be sold for cash. From these beginnings, whilst continuing to work for Rawlinson & Chorley, Bolton built up enough money to return to Liverpool in 1786 and start in business on his own account. He rapidly became the leading West India merchant of his generation, with interests in Jamaica and St Vincent; his annual profits were rarely below 38,000. Bolton's trade was principally in slaves, and the goods they produced - sugar, rum, and cotton. He was the owner of several ships, including the 'John', and the 'King George', which sailed for Angola in 1799, fitted to carry 402 and 550 slaves, respectively. Bolton took a leading role in the social and political affairs of Liverpool. He was president of the Liverpool Association of West India Merchants; and when in 1797 the security of Liverpool was in question, following the failed French invasion of Wales, Bolton was one of those charged with overseeing the defence of the town. In 1803 he raised and financed a regiment of volunteers which became known as 'Bolton's Invincibles'; this was disbanded in 1806, but Bolton remained 'Colonel Bolton' for the rest of his life. A staunch tory, Bolton's house in Duke Street was the Liverpool headquarters of the party; his friends George Canning and William Huskisson frequently delivered speeches from the balcony. Like many other prosperous Liverpool merchants, Bolton chose to spend part of his time at a country house, whilst remaining active in the life of the town, and in 1804 he bought Bolton Hall in Lancashire (probably for its name). Although Gandy started work there, making alterations in the Gothic style, he was soon diverted by Bolton's purchase of Storrs Hall. Before long, Bolton and his wife Elizabeth Littledale, daughter of a merchant of Whitehaven and Liverpool, were spending much of their time in the Lake District, where they had their house decorated and furnished with exceptional lavishness. One reminder of the source of this opulence lay in the handsome and unusual mahogany doors which graced the public rooms. The importation of mahogany depended on the slave trade; the wood was brought back from the West Indies in ships which had deposited their human cargoes at West Indian plantations. Bolton was involved in some acrimonious episodes as a man of business - in 1809 one associate published a book attempting to discredit him (Bolton burned all available copies but one) and in 1805 the Colonel killed a Major Brooks in the last duel fought in Liverpool, apparently caused by a dispute over pay - Brooks was judged the aggressor, and no action was taken. At his lakeside villa, on the other hand, Bolton enjoyed a sparkling social life, accepted by the cultivated society of the region. One of his closest local friends was Professor John Wilson, better known as Christopher North of 'Blackwood's Magazine'. William Wordsworth, a companion in Bolton's later years, spoke of him as his 'long loved, tried and sincere friend.' Bolton was an enthusiastic sailor, taking part in regattas on the lake. On a particularly triumphant occasion, in August 1825, Bolton entertained Canning, Sir Walter Scott, Wordsworth, Robert Southey and others, installing them on his cedar barge for 'one of the most splendid regattas that ever enlivened Windermere.' Scott's son-in-law commented that 'It has not, I suppose, often happened to a plain English merchant, wholly the architect of his own fortunes, to entertain at one time a party embracing so many illustrious names.' Bolton, referred to by Wordsworth as 'the Liverpool Croesus', also took on the role of local philanthropist, paying for the Bowness Grammar School, which was still incomplete at his death in 1837. A local historian commented in 1847 that, 'The latter part of his life was spent in doing good.' His body was carried ceremoniously from Liverpool, to be buried at St Martin's church, Bowness, where an inscribed stone marked his vault (the stone has since been moved). Following Bolton's death, his wife remained at Storrs, where in 1840 she received Queen Adelaide, the Queen Dowager, who was visiting the area.
When Elizabeth Bolton died in 1848, the house, and fortune, were left to her nephew, the Reverend Thomas Staniforth. Staniforth, after retiring from his Lancashire parish in 1859, moved, with his wife, to Storrs, where he lived the life of a country gentleman. He did not alter the house. Staniforth died without heirs in 1887, and in 1889 the estate was sold in lots; in 1892 the house opened as the Storrs Hall Hotel. The building has remained a hotel, under a succession of owners. Storrs Hall was re- opened after extensive renovation in 1998 by its current owner, a Lancashire businessman.
SOURCES:
I. Goodall, 'Storrs Hall, Windermere', The Georgian Group Journal, XV, (2006) 159-
I. Goodall, 'Storrs Hall, Windermere, Cumbria' (report for English Heritage, 2002)
N. Pevsner, 'Buildings of England. Cumberland and Westmorland' (1967), 229
W. Sayer, 'History of Westmorland', 2 vols(1847), I, 252-62
A. Taylor, 'The Websters of Kendal, A North-Western Architectural Dynasty' (2004)
C. Jones, 'John Bolton of Storrs 1756-1837' (1959)
G.W. Mathews, 'John Bolton, A Liverpool Merchant, 1756-1837', Transactions of the Historic Society of Lancashire and Cheshire, XCIII (1941), 98-115
D. Thomason, 'New Light on John Bolton of Storrs', Abbot Hall Quarto, XXIV.1, (April 1986), 4-9
Information sheet produced by English Lakes Hotels [2007]
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION Storrs Hall is designated at Grade II[star] for the following principal reasons: [bullet] Striking lakeside villa of bold and original design. Largely the creation of architect Joseph Gandy, one of a small number of his surviving buildings; exotic both internally and externally, the house displays his idiosyncratic treatment of classical forms [bullet] Internal decoration and fittings of the highest quality, including inventive and luxuriant plasterwork and chimneypieces [bullet] Strong connection with John Bolton, slave trader and West India merchant, adds to historical interest of building.
This list entry has been amended as part of the Bicentenary commemorations of the 1807 Abolition Act.

placename:- Storrs Hall
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- SD39269413
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

old print:- Rose 1832-35

Engravings - Westmorland, Cumberland, Durham and Northumberland Illustrated; from drawings by Thomas Allom, George Pickering, and H Gastineau, described by Thomas Rose, published by H Fisher, R Fisher, and P Jackson, Newgate Street, London, 1832-35.
thumbnail R240, button to large image

placename:- Storrs Hall
date:- 1834
period:- 19th century, early

old print:- Sylvan 1847

thumbnail SYL122, button to large image
Print, engraving, Storr's Hall, by moonlight, Storrs, Windermere, Westmorland, published by John Johnstone, Paternoster Row, London, et al, 1847.
On p.69 of Sylvan's Pictorial Guide to the English Lakes.
printed at bottom:-
STORR'S HALL.

placename:- Storr's Hall
date:- 1847
period:- 19th century, early

old print:-
thumbnail PR0652, button to large image
Print, uncoloured engraving, Windermere Lake, Windermere, Westmorland, drawn by Harwood, engraved by Tombleson, published by Fisher, Son and Co, London, 1830s?
A fisherman in a small sailing boat is using a seine net in the foreground; Storrs in the middle ground.
printed at bottom left, right, centre:-
Harwood. / Tombleson. / WINDERMERE LAKE. / FISHER, SON & Co. LONDON.
date:- 1830=1839
period:- 19th century, early

hearsay Built 1808-11 (there are some earlier parts) designed by J M Gandy for Sir John Legard.
Colonel John Bolton, 1756-1837, bought Storrs Hall with money made from the slave trade; he operated out of Liverpool. His grand parties and regattas included visitors like Sir Walter Scott and the Foreign Secretary George Canning.

hearsay The park is one location of the North Pole referred to by Arthur Ransome.

button   Storrs Temple, Storrs

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.