button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
St Peter, Great Asby
St Peter's Church
Asby Church
locality:-   Great Asby
civil parish:-   Asby (formerly Westmorland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church
coordinates:-   NY68051322
1Km square:-   NY6813
10Km square:-   NY61
references:-   : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

BJY45.jpg (taken 28.10.2005)  
CCB57.jpg (taken 7.11.2014)  

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Wmd 22 3) 
placename:-  St Peter's Church
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
"St Peter's Church (Rectory) / Grave Yard"

evidence:-   old text:- Gents Mag
source data:-   Magazine, The Gentleman's Magazine or Monthly Intelligencer or Historical Chronicle, published by Edward Cave under the pseudonym Sylvanus Urban, and by other publishers, London, monthly from 1731 to 1922.
image G825A514, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1825 part 1 p.514 
From the Compendium of County History:-  "The chancel of ASBY Church is singularly separated from the nave by two arches."

evidence:-   old map:- Nurse 1918
source data:-   Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 2nd edn 1939.
United benefice with Ormside, but separate parish. 
item:-  JandMN : 27
Image © see bottom of page

BRG54.jpg (taken 3.8.2009)  
New bells were cast by Murphy, Dublin, 1865.
Bishop Nicholson, 1703:-
"The two little bells hang in a Frame of Stone somewhat like that at Bowness."

 stained glass

 pew cushions

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Church of St Peter
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"CHURCH OF ST PETER / / / ASBY / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II / 73240 / NY6805713232"
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Parish Church. 1866 gothic revival rebuild by Hay. Coursed sandstone blocks with stepped buttressing. Graduated slate roofs (chancel lower) with stone copings and kneelers; bellcote to west end is supported on pointed arch carried between buttresses. Aisled nave and chancel. 3-bay nave has south aisle with 3-light trefoil-headed windows; other side windows and west window have 2 trefoil-headed lights, with quatrefoil between, under pointed containing arch. East window of 3 trefoil-headed lights has large multi-foil between. Gabled south porch has large foliate capitals to outer door jambs; architects' names are inscribed on soffit of pointed entrance arch. Internally, organ occupies west end. Cylindrical piers with foliate capitals carry south arcade of pointed, single chamfer, arches constructed of polychrome stone. Large demi-angel corbels carry similar moulded chancel arch. Angel musician corbels support nave roof. On south side of chancel 2 seater sedilia is combined with piscina; the 3 pointed arches have inner trefoil-heads and portrait bust labels. Polygonal stone pulpit on north side of nave has sculpted panels; octagonal font in south aisle is similar."

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Lych gate. 1866, probably by Hay (contemporary with church). Braced wooden uprights support hipped, graduated slate roof with open gablets surmounted by wrought-iron crosses to either end. Wooden gates have wrought-iron fittings. Included for group value."

Robert the Priest  1180 -  before 
Adam, Parson de Asby  1200 -  about 
Englishe, Richard le  1298 -  
Brampton, William de  1298 -  
Kaldersyke, William de  1319 -  
Anandale, Thomas de  1345 -  
Meburn, Stephen de  1374 -  
Scott, Richard  1535 -  
Kirkbride, Percival  1563 -  
Barnes, John  1572 -  
Fairfax, Thomas  1578 -  
Dykes, Oswald  1593 -  
Hudson, Gerard  1607 -  
Dawes, Lancelot  1618 -  
Fawcett, Thomas  1654 -  
Theobold, George  1661 -  
Fleming, Henry  1694 -  
Borrow, Joshua  1728 -  
Machell, Richard  1740 -  
Roderick, David  1786 -  
Atkinson, Hugh  1788 -  
Guy, Henry  1834 -  
Holme, Thomas R  1875 -  
Hacon, James  1877 -  
Ingham, Joseph  1886 -  


BRG56.jpg  Organ, made by William Hill and Son, and Norman and Beard, London, 1918.
(taken 3.8.2009)  
CCB58.jpg  Mothers Union banner.
(taken 7.11.2014)  
CCB74.jpg  Angel corbel.
(taken 7.11.2014)  
CCB75.jpg  Angel corbel.
(taken 7.11.2014)  
CCB76.jpg  Lych gate.
(taken 7.11.2014)  

BRG57.jpg  Watercolour of the church, 1863.
(taken 3.8.2009)  

The earliest record to a church is in a charter by which Robert le Fleming granted land to the monks of Byland Abbey with the condition that they:-
"give yearly to the church of the blessed Saint Peter at Asby, for incense on Easter Day."
dated about 1200. There may have been a church here earlier.
Bishop Nicholson, 1703:-
"The Quire here is neat and Uniform (only it wants Rails); which Dr. H. Fleming, the present Rector, will have ere long. The Body of the Church is little (proportional to ye parish) and tolerable well seated. But the Font is most inconveniently placed behind a pillar."
The church was dismantled in 1861. Some moveables were stored in local houses. Some of these items never came back to the church; it is thought that oak panelling at Dial House and the studded door of the Three Greyhounds came from the old church.
Lady Anne Pembroke gave a lock and key to George Theobald, rector, 1670, as thanks for giving her shelter in a storm (now kept in the rectory).

: 2000: church leaflet

There is a note pertinent to rushbearing, in the churchwardens accounts 1706:-
"Refreshments for rushbearers 3/-"
Similar payments are recorded up to 1731.

person:-    : St Peter
place:-   Asby / Carlisle Diocese

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.