button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
St Oswald, Ravenstonedale
St Oswald's Church
Ravenstonedale Church
locality:-   Ravenstonedale
civil parish:-   Ravenstonedale (formerly Westmorland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church
coordinates:-   NY72230426
1Km square:-   NY7204
10Km square:-   NY70
references:-   : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

BNU85.jpg (taken 9.6.2007)  
BSP44.jpg  Three decker pulpit.
(taken 30.4.2010)  

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Wmd 29 8) 
placename:-  St Oswald's Church
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
"St. Oswald's Ch. (Per Curacy) / Grave Yard"

evidence:-   old text:- Gents Mag
source data:-   Magazine, The Gentleman's Magazine or Monthly Intelligencer or Historical Chronicle, published by Edward Cave under the pseudonym Sylvanus Urban, and by other publishers, London, monthly from 1731 to 1922.
image G802Eng1, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1802 opp p.1185 
image  click to enlarge
"South View of Ravenstonedale Church / in Westmoreland."

evidence:-   old text:- Gents Mag 1802
item:-  monumentWicked Christians Practical Atheists
source data:-   image G8021186, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1802 p.1186  "Dec. 10."
"Mr. URBAN,"
"RAVENSTONEDALE Church, Westmoreland, (fig. 5.) was rebuilt in 1745. The following is part of a monumental inscription in this edifice: "Sacred to the memory of George Fothergill, D.D. and principal of St. Edmund's Hall in Oxford, where he lies interred, who departed this life Oct. 5, 1760, aged 54. He was a person of great parts and learning, and of most exemplary piety and virtue, which made his death greatly lamented." Dr. George Fothergill was the son of a very respectable yeoman of this parish; and his brother, Thomas Fothergill, was many years provost of Queen's college in Oxford, and died in 1796."
"In this church is also the following inscription"
""To the memory of Anthony Fothergill, / late of Brownber, / whose natural talents, and acquired knowledge, / rendered his character truly respectable. Though placed in a humble station, / he distinguished himself by a firm adherence / to the cause of Truth, Liberty, and rational Religion. / His integrity of heart, / social disposition, / and uncommon abilities, / gained him general esteem. / He departed this (his chequered) life / June 13, 1761, aged 75""
"Mr. Anthony Fothergill published a work, entitled "Wicked Christians practical Atheists." From the inscription to his memory it might be inferred, that he had imbibed Deistical notions. It is evident however from his writings, that his disbelief of Christianity proceeded no further than a renunciation of the doctrines of original sin."

evidence:-   old map:- Nurse 1918
source data:-   Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 2nd edn 1939.
item:-  JandMN : 27
Image © see bottom of page

 stained glass

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Church of St Oswald
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Parish church. Tower rebuilt 1738, rest of church 1744; some dressed stone from earlier church re-used. Snecked rubble with rusticated quoins. Graduated slate roofs. 3-stage west tower, wide aiseless nave, and chancel. Single tall storey with west gallery. C19 plank door in segment-headed architrave, with segmental pediment, to west face of tower; chamfered surround to single-light 1st floor window; re-used C16 elliptical-headed 3-light openings under hoodmould to 2nd stage. Projecting embattled parapet. 8-bay nave with gabled porch in west bay of each elevation: Columnar responds to pointed entrance arches; stone side benches, segment-headed inner doors. 8 windows (that over porch smaller), all in semicircular-headed surrounds with projecting keystones. 2 windows at east end. Cavetto eaves course to nave and chancel; stone copings with kneelers and ball finials to gables. Interior: Back of pew 97 in gallery incorporates re-used panels, carved with texts, dated 1633. Square painted panel (set diagonally), formerly a clock face, fastened to wall in lower ground floor, dated 1719 with inscription on brass plate: This clock was/given to this Church/by John Fothergill/of Brownber In the/Year 1719 Price Ten pounds. Painted text board to either side of chancel arch, northern dated 1747 but both may be earlier. George II coat-of-arms painted on panel opposite pulpit. Panelled partition across west end with gallery above carried on brackets; C17 closed-string stair, with turned balusters from tower. Inward-facing tiers of pews to main body of nave. Decoratively-panelled 3-decker pulpit, with tester, to north side. Chamfered semicircular chancel arch probably incorporates medieval responds. C18 communion rail, elliptical in plan, with turned balusters; C17 panelled door re-used for vestry on north side in chancel. Ionic modillions to ceiling cornice in nave. Stone font at west end of nave has an C18 octagonal bowl on an earlier chamfered stem. Commemorative C19 east window "To the glory of God, and in memory of Mrs Gaunt, daughter of Anthony Fothergill, Brownber . She was the last female martyr burnt at Tyburn for the cause of the Protestant religion Oct.4, 1685"."

 ring of bells

 cross slab gravestones

Carlton, Anthony  1572 - 1576 
Hunter, Thomas  1576 - 1589 
Calvert, Rev  1594 -  
Benson, Rev  1619 - 1622 
Dodson, Thomas  1624 - 1673 
Proctor, Anthony  1673 - 1689 
Hunter, Thomas  1691 -  
Tempest, Arthur  1692 - 1693 
Wright, John  1694 - 1697 
Dalton, John  1697 - 1705 
Toulmin, Thomas  1706 - 1728 
Mounsey, Robert  1735 - 1780 
Bowness, Jeffrey  1780 - 1813 
Robinson, John  1813 - 1833 
Moss, Thomas  1833 - 1842 
Kendall, William Charles  1842 - 1848 
Yarker, William  1849 - 1871 
Barnes, Ismay  1871 - 1873 
Atkinson, George  1873 - 1888 
Metcalfe, Robert Weston  1888 - 1908 
Boulton, Thomas Sibley  1909 - 1916 


BQV57.jpg  Three decker pulpit.
(taken 18.6.2009)  
BSP43.jpg  Marquetry in the pulpit sounding board.
(taken 30.4.2010)  
BSP47.jpg  Re-used timber in the pulpit.
"... A PULPIT OF WOOD ..." (taken 30.4.2010)  
BQV55.jpg  Organ, made by Harrison and Harrison, Durham.
(taken 18.6.2009)  
BQV56.jpg  Organ pipes.
(taken 18.6.2009)  
BSP48.jpg  Numbered pews.
(taken 18.6.2009)  
BYZ78.jpg  Pews.
(taken 6.8.2013)  
BLL52.jpg  coat of arms of George II.
(taken 9.12.2005)  
BSP41.jpg  Lord's Prayer and The Creed.
(taken 30.4.2010)  
BQV58.jpg  Poor box.
(taken 18.6.2009)  
BLL49.jpg  Old clock dial.
"17 19" (taken 9.12.2005)  
BYZ77.jpg  Tuning fork for the choir.
(taken 6.8.2013)  
BYZ76.jpg  One of four panels embroiderd for the Millenium.
(taken 6.8.2013)  
BSP42.jpg  Funerary plate, Milner Family, 1740s
(taken 30.4.2010)  

BSP49.jpg  Warning
(taken 30.4.2010)  
Pinned to a cupboard door:-
"1. The organ is damp, a lamp or stove is placed in it and left to burn all night with the result of setting it on fire."
"2. The Organist, the Blower, the Tuner, or a workman making repairs strikes a match or lights a spirit lamp, taper or candle which he leaves burning with the result of setting the Organ on fire."
"3. The music desk lights are moveable brackets which can be placed so that the flames touch the woodwork, this is done once, and the whole is set on fire."
"ECCLESIASTICAL INSURANCE OFFICE. Lim, 11, Norfolk Street, Strand, London, W.C."

BSP46.jpg  Daguerrotype of the church, mid 19th century.
(taken 30.4.2010)  

The present church was built on the site of an older church, 1744.

Holmes, a murderer, gained protection from justice by ringing the sanctuary bell. He settled in Ravenstonedale, and his descendants are said to be there to this day.
The right of sanctuary was abolished by James I, 1623.

The spinsters of the parish protested against batchelors who found sweethearts outside the dale. In September 1776 a majority of females in the community declared that any man marrying a girl from over the hills should pay a fine of twenty pounds, to go to the poor, and be imprisoned for ten months.

possible site of a pele tower

Perriam, D R &Robinson, J: 1998: Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria: CWAAS:: ISBN 1 873124 23 6; plan

person:-    : St Oswald
place:-   Ravenstonedale with Newbiggin on Lune / Carlisle Diocese

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.