button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
St Mary, Kirkby Lonsdale
St Mary's Church
Kirkby Lonsdale Church
Street:-   Church Street
locality:-   Kirkby Lonsdale
civil parish:-   Kirkby Lonsdale (formerly Westmorland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church
coordinates:-   SD61127882
1Km square:-   SD6178
10Km square:-   SD67
references:-   : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

BLL87.jpg (taken 16.12.2005)  
BLL88.jpg (taken 16.12.2005)  

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Wmd 47 8) 
placename:-  St Mary's Church
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
"St Mary's Church (Vicarage) / Grave Yard / Sun Dial"

 listed gravestone 1

 listed gravestone 2

 listed gravestone 3

 listed gravestone 4

 listed gravestone 5

 listed gravestone 6

 listed gravestone 7

 listed gravestone 8

 listed gravestone 9

 listed gravestone 10

 listed gravestone 11

 listed gravestone 12

evidence:-   old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd) 
source data:-   Map, 4 sheets, The County of Westmoreland, scale 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed 1768, and engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
item:-  National Library of Scotland : EME.s.47
Image © National Library of Scotland

evidence:-   old text:- Pennant 1773
source data:-   Book, A Tour from Downing to Alston Moor, 1773, by Thomas Pennant, published by Edward Harding, 98 Pall Mall, London, 1801.
image PEN6p118, button  goto source
Pennant's Tour 1773, page 118  "..."
"The church, which had been given to the same Abbey [St Mary, York] by"
image PEN6p119, button  goto source
Pennant's Tour 1773, page 119  "Ivo de Tailebois, was, after the dissolution, granted by Queen Mary to Trinity College, Cambridge. Part of the structure is very ancient; the door and some of the arches are round; the base of two of the pillars very clumsy; and the shaft of one, like those at Durham, adorned with lozenge-shaped sculpture; the east window is Gothic, and has light pillars detached from it."

evidence:-   descriptive text:- West 1778 (11th edn 1821) 
source data:-   Guide book, A Guide to the Lakes, by Thomas West, published by William Pennington, Kendal, Cumbria once Westmorland, and in London, 1778 to 1821.
image WS21P239, button  goto source
Tour to the Caves in the West Riding of Yorkshire, late 18th century 
Page 239:-  "..."
"... The church is a large and decent structure; the roof is covered with lead, and supported by three rows of pillars. The steeple is a square tower, containing six bells, the music of which we were entertained with at nine o'clock, they being played on by chimes every three hours. ..."
"On our entrance into the church-yard we were struck with the neatness and elegance of the vicarage house, which faced us. The pleasant garden adjoining, ornamented with a neat octagonal summer-house, commanding one of the most delightful prospects of nature, must render this sweet retreat a happy abode to the worthy vicar."
"We walked through the church-yard, which is large and spacious, ..."
image WS21P244, button  goto source
Page 244:-  "[after an outing] ... About a furlong before we arrived at the bridge, the town of Kirkby-Lonsdale appeared in a point of view peculiarly pleasing: ... the tower steeple of the church rising proudly eminent above the blue slated houses, with which it was on every side surrounded. ..."

evidence:-   old text:- Capper 1808
source data:-   Gazetteer, A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom, compiled by Benjamin Pitts Capper, published by Richard Phillips, Bridge Street, Blackfriars, London, 1808; published 1808-29.
image CAP128, button  goto source
"[Kirkby Lonsdale] ... The church is a noble structure, 120 feet long, and 102 broad; it has a square tower 61 feet high, and a peal of six bells. In the library of the church is the following inscription: "This library, pulpit, and new loft, with the school-house, were founded by Henry Wilson of Underby, who gave 1000l. to the college, besides 35l. yearly to seven poor scholars going to Queen's college, Oxford; to this church and school 240l. and to the poor of Kirkdale Lonsdale lordship 500l. beside many other gifts to pious uses in other places, by all which he being dead, yet speaks." ..."

evidence:-   descriptive text:- Otley 1823 (8th edn 1849) 
source data:-   Guide book, A Descriptive Guide to the English Lakes, by Jonathan Otley, 1823, published by Jonathan Otley, Keswick, Cumberland, by Simpkin, Marshall and Co, Stationers' Court, London, and by John Foster, Kirkby Lonsdale, Westmorland, 8th edn 1849.
image OT80P181, button  goto source
Page 181:-  "..."
"[The] architectural effect of this venerable edifice was about 40 years ago seriously injured. Being at that time in need of repairs, its leaden roofs, battlements, pinnacles, and clerestory were removed to give place to an enormous sweeping roof of blue slate. In the interior the same rage for improvement pulled down stalls, and covered, with a thick coat of plaster, column and capital of the most delicate and elaborate workmanship. Since those days, however, a better taste has prevailed; and, of late, restorations have been made, again bringing to light columns, capitals, and arches; some of which will be found portrayed in the succeeding pages."
"The exquisite lancet window above the Communion table is a pure specimen of Early English. 'It consists of three tall lights, in the best style belonging to the the end of the twelfth or beginning of the thirteenth century, with slender detached columns bound by graceful and well-cut bands of stone.' the capitals"
image OT80P182, button  goto source
Page 182:- 
"[T Binns del]"
"of these columns or shafts are sculptured with curious ornamental designs, which are, however, far too minute to be introduced into this illustration."
"The South Door, which represents an example in fine relief of the zigzag or chevron moulding, is partly concealed by the Porch, of which we read on a half-illegible tablet now preserved in the Vestry -"
"This porch by J baines first builded was,"
"of heighholme hall they weare;"
"and after sould to Christopher wood,"
"by willyam baines therof lait heyre:"
"and is repayred as you see,"
"and sett in order good,"
"by the true owner nowe thereof,"
"the foresaide Christopher wood:"
image OT80P183, button  goto source
Page 183:-  "Of this 'Christopher wood' we can learn nothing; but the 'true ownership' has passed into other hands, and this porch is used, as it has long been, as the vault of an ancient Westmorland family residing in the neighbourhood."
"The Piscina (of which an illusttration is given in a subsequent page) - in the niche of one of the pillars of the south side of the choir - was till lately occupied by"
"- now placed by the Font. Seldom it is that this Box is put to its proper purpose: but Canning - then the Premier - looking through the Church, as he was on his way for the last time towards Storrs Hall, was observed to drop into it an offering, which proved to be a guinea."
image OT80P184, button  goto source
Page 184:- 
Engraving of west door, with the ?sexton and his shovel. 
"The western doorway is a rich Norman arch, adorned with basso-relievos of grotesque animals, &c."
"Let us now introduce sketches of some of the singular Capitals at the western or Norman end of the nave, and shall then quit this subjet - to which, from the influence of local associations and old reminiscences, we"
image OT80P185, button  goto source
Page 185:-  "TB"
A capital.  "TB"
"may have clung too long - but which is assuredly well deserving the notice of archaeologists, and those who look back to by-gone times, or delight in the study of the Church architecture of our ancestors."
image OT80P186, button  goto source
Page 186:- 
A capital. 
"Of late, an opinion has prevailed, that the curious figures which manay succh Capitals display, are not mere freaks of the chisel, but are allegorical of grave and"
Engraving of a capital.  "good truths. Here may be seen, what has been conjectured to symbolize the Lamb bearing the Book of Life, and driving brute beasts and birds of prey before Him."
"This is another face of the same Column:"
A capital. 
image OT80P187, button  goto source
Page 187:-  "..."
item:-  Armitt Library : A1180
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old text:- Gents Mag
source data:-   Magazine, The Gentleman's Magazine or Monthly Intelligencer or Historical Chronicle, published by Edward Cave under the pseudonym Sylvanus Urban, and by other publishers, London, monthly from 1731 to 1922.
image G825A515, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1825 part 1 p.515  "Compendium of County History. - Westmorland."
"In KIRKBY LONSDALE Church was a fine alabaster monument to one of the Middletons, temp. Henry VIII. On the South porch was formerly curious inscriptions respecting its erection, &c. - Of this parish, was vicar one George Buchanan, a Scotchman driven out of Scotland for refusing the covenant and suffered greatly from the Parliamentarians. ..."

evidence:-   old text:- Gents Mag
item:-  Kilkenny
source data:-   Magazine, The Gentleman's Magazine or Monthly Intelligencer or Historical Chronicle, published by Edward Cave under the pseudonym Sylvanus Urban, and by other publishers, London, monthly from 1731 to 1922.
image G863A205, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1863 part 1 p.205  "Kilkenny and S.-E. of Ireland Archaeol. Soc."
"... ..."
"Mr. Robertson reported a rather curious and interesting circumstance to the Society - the fact of a portion of a townland in the county of Kilkenny forming a part of the glebe pertaining to an English vicarage. He had been recently professionally engaged by the Vicar of Kirkby Lonsdale, in Westmoreland, to survey and report on the dilapidations of two farm-houses and out-offices on the lands on Ballinabouola, parish of Tullaherin; and considering the circumstance of an English clergyman possessing land in Ireland somewhat strange, had mentioned the matter to the Rev. James Graves, who suggested that he (Mr. Robertson) should inquire of the agent of the incucmbent under what circumstances these lands had become attached to his vicarage. He accordingly had written to ask the question, and the following was the answer he had received:-"
""With regard to your inquiry about the connection between Kirkby Lonsdale and the land in Kilkenny, it seems that when Cromwell was in Ireland he marched through Kilkenny, part of his forces being led by a general called Redman. He laid siege to the old castle you might have seen on the south wing of the lands, and took it. For his services Cromwell gave him the lands, and Redman married his daughter to the then vicar of Kirkby Lonsdale, and gave the lands as a grant for ever to the vicars of that parish, who have since held them.""
"Mr. Prim remarked that the old castle alluded to was obviously that of Ballinaboula, which, however, he understood from Mr. Robertson, was not situated on lands pertaining to the vicarage of Kirkby Lonsdale. The castle, with a considerable portion of the townland, had been from a remote period, and he supposed still was, part of the see-lands beloning to the bishopric of Ossory. ... The Cromwellian officer referred to in the letter was doubtless Colonel Daniel Redman, who had acquired property in Kilkenny, but apparently not by a direct grant from Cromwell. A document quoted by the author of the "Memoirs of the Grace Family" - who"

evidence:-   old text:- Gents Mag 1863
source data:-   image G863A206, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1863 part 1 p.206  "speaks of it as "a very ancient and curious original MS.," but does not tell where it is preserved - states that "Ballylinch, Leogan, Raduth, Killarney, &c. were at the same time given (amongst the forfeited estates of the Grace family) to Captains Rogers and Joyner. ... Joyner had been cook to King Charles, though not his friend; wherefore to secure said estate he conveyed it to his brother-in-law, Colonel Daniel Redman, who gave Ballylinch and Leogan to his daughter, the lady Kerin, and the remainder to his other daughter married to Sir John Meade." It was thus that Ballylinch came to be the property of the Carrick family; but no mention is here made of a third daughter of Redman, or any marriage with a Vicar of Kirkby Lonsdale; and it would be a singular arrangement that lands given as a marriage portion should descend not to the children of the marriage, but to the husbands successor's in the church living which he chanced to hold. The information obtained by Mr. Robertson is certainly most curious and interesting; but it would be very desirable that a more detailed and circumstantial account of the matter should be ontained if possible."

evidence:-   old map:- Nurse 1918
source data:-   Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 2nd edn 1939.
United benefice with Mansergh, one parish. 
item:-  JandMN : 27
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   site plan:- Historical Monuments 1936
source data:-   Site plan, uncoloured lithograph, Kirkby Lonsdale The Parish Church of St Mary, Kirkby Lonsdale, Westmorland, scale about 1 to 290, published by Royal Commission on Historical Monuments England, London, 1936.
image  click to enlarge
On p.134 of the Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Westmorland. 
printed, lower right  "KIRKBY LONSDALE / The PARISH CHURCH of / ST. MARY"
RCHME no. Wmd, Kirkby Lonsdale 1 
item:-  Armitt Library : A745.86
Image © see bottom of page


 stained glass

 stained glass - coats of arms

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Church of St Mary
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"C12 to C16 with alterations C18 and C19. Ashlar and rubble. Slate roof with lead gutters. Nave and chancel with axial west tower of four storeys, two north aisles and one south aisle. Outer north aisle gabled. Tower (partly C18) and walls entirely embattled in C19. Two deep buttresses to east wall with many setbacks. East window of three lancets with vesica over. Square-headed windows of several lights to the aisles, the lights cusped to south aisle, round headed to north. Three Romanesque doorways, two to south aisle and an elaborate one of four orders at base of tower. South porch, Romanesque, added 1866. Interior. Nave and chancel arcade of seven bays, the first three round arches of C12, the eastern four two-centred arches of C13. The Romanesque north arcade of nave combines composite piers and round piers with incised decoration in the manner of Durham cathedral. The fabric of the south aisle is mainly C14. The north aisles are mainly C16 and are separated by an arcade of that date. The east window of the chancel has an inner order of slim detached shafts with rings. Early C13 piscina in first column of south arcade. Pulpit 1619. Other woodwork and furniture C17 to C18. The principal medieval church of South Westmorland. The arcade which imitates that of Durham cathedral is of the first importance."

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Triple wrought iron gateway with two ornate pillars and central arch bearing letters and date "W.J.1823". Gates said to be early C20."


evidence:-   old drawing:- 
source data:-   Drawing, Kirkby Lonsdale, Westmorland, by Annie W, 1900s-10s.
image  click to enlarge
View up a narrow cobbled street towards gateway leading to churchyard beyond. 
inscribed at bottom left:-  "Kirkby Lonsdale"
initialled at bottom right:-  "A.W."
inscribed at reverse:-  "With love from Annie."
item:-  Tullie House Museum : 1949.125.335A
Image © Tullie House Museum

 ring of bells

 cross slabs

Shepherd, Adam  1548 - 1553 
Applegarth, Robert  1553 - 1556 
Wylson, Thomas  1557 - 1560 
Willinson, John  1560 - 1607 
Waterhouse, Jerome  1608 - 1616 
Adams, Thomas  1617 - 1617 
Park, Henry  1617 - 1623 
Sackville, Samuel  1623 - 1637 
Jones, Charles  1637 - 1640 
Buchanan, George  1640 - 1645 
Cole, William  1645 - 1652 
Smyth, John  1652 - 1657 
Tatham, Richard  1657 - 1661 
Buchanan, George  1661 -  
Tatham, Edmund  1661 - 1664 
Hoyle, Henry  1664 - 1676 
Briggs, John  1676 - 1737 
Croft, Tobias  1737 - 1765 
Place, Marwood  1765 - 1791 
Sharpe, Joseph  1791 - 1831 
Fisher, John Hutton  1831 - 1862 
Ware, Henry  1862 - 1888 
Davies, John Llewellyn  1889 - 1908 
Askwith, Edward Harrison  1908 - 1917 


Described in:-

Butler, Lawrence (ed): 2011: Church Notes of Sir Stephen Glynne for Cumbria, 1833-1872: CWAAS:: ISBN 978 1 873124 52 9
Extracted from the original notes made by Sir Stephen, now in Deiniol's Library, Hawarden, Flintshire, contact through Flintshire Record Office

BLL89.jpg  Carved capital on one of the norman pillars, a green man?
(taken 16.12.2005)  
BLL90.jpg  Mosaic decoration behind the altar.
(taken 16.12.2005)  
BLL91.jpg  Dragon in the carving round the west door.
(taken 16.12.2005)  
BSS54.jpg  Parish chest.
(taken 7.5.2010)  
BXV61.jpg  Parish chest.
(taken 10.2.2013)  
BXV62.jpg  Mothers Union banner
(taken 10.2.2013)  
BQY59.jpg  Poor box, part made in 1720 by Nic Otway.
(taken 1.7.2009)  
CDQ53.jpg  Cupboard, probably made from wood of the three decker pulpit.
(taken 7.8.2015)  
CDN96.jpg  Memorial garden, 12 beds for 12 months.
(taken 9.7.2015)  
BLL92.jpg  Cut bench mark on west face of tower.
(taken 16.12.2005)  
CDN90.jpg  Gate.
(taken 9.7.2015)  
CDO06.jpg  Gate.
(taken 9.7.2015)  
CDQ51.jpg  Closing mechanism on gate.
(taken 9.7.2015)  

Click to enlarge
CDQ52.jpg  Plan, 1865.
(taken 7.8.2015)  

BSS50.jpg  Defaced effigy of Edward Middleton, from the Middleton Chantry
(taken 7.5.2010)  
BSS51.jpg  Middleton Chantry, coat of arms
(taken 7.5.2010)  
BSS52.jpg  Middleton Chantry, coat of arms
(taken 7.5.2010)  

Paley and Austin series
person:-   architect
 : Paley, Edward G
date:-   1866
Restoration work.

person:-    : St Mary
place:-   Kirkby Lonsdale / Carlisle Diocese

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.