button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
Holy Trinity and St Constantine, Wetheral
Holy Trinity and St Constantine's Church
St Constantine's Church
Wetheral Church
locality:-   Wetheral
civil parish:-   Wetheral (formerly Cumberland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church
coordinates:-   NY46815440
1Km square:-   NY4654
10Km square:-   NY45
references:-   : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

BXS21.jpg (taken 30.11.2012)  
CEW33.jpg (taken 17.4.2016)  

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Cmd 24 6) 
placename:-  Trinity Church
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
"Trinity Church (Per Curacy) / Grave Yard"

evidence:-   old text:- Gents Mag
source data:-   Magazine, The Gentleman's Magazine or Monthly Intelligencer or Historical Chronicle, published by Edward Cave under the pseudonym Sylvanus Urban, and by other publishers, London, monthly from 1731 to 1922.
image G804Eng1, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1804 opp p.9 
image  click to enlarge
"View of WETHERALL CHURCH, from Corby Walks."

evidence:-   old text:- Gents Mag 1804
source data:-   image G8040009, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1804 p.9  "Jan. 2."
"Mr. URBAN,"
"PERMIT me, Sir, to add to your collection of churches, by transmitting you a drawing of one in Cumberland."
"Wetheral church is a handsome edifice, built with stone in the Gothic style, consisting of three ailes, supported on each side by three massive pillars. The nave is divided from the chancel by a fine Gothic arch. The South side of the chancel apparently bears greater antiquity than the rest of the building: two inscriptions in Gothic letter remains there; one over the door, the other over the window, viz."
"Orate p' anima Richardi Wedderhall. / [D]rate[ ] Willi'mi Thornton abbatis."
, inset "In 1774, the roof was covered with blue slate; and in 1789 and 1790, the whole was flagged, stalled, plastered, and ceiled; the tower was built, finished with four spires, and a bell hung therein. In 1790. the chapel over the burying vault, belonging to Corby Castle, was rebuilt by Henry Howard, esq. to the memory of his lady and ancestors."
"Between the north aile and the chancel of the church are the effigies of a man and woman in alabaster, which (it is supposed) are sacred to the memory of Sir Richard Salkeld, who resided at Corby Castle. There is an inscription to this, but it is almost obliterated."
"Yours, &c."

evidence:-   old text:- Gents Mag
item:-  monument
source data:-   Magazine, The Gentleman's Magazine or Monthly Intelligencer or Historical Chronicle, published by Edward Cave under the pseudonym Sylvanus Urban, and by other publishers, London, monthly from 1731 to 1922.
image G819A508, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1819 part 1 p.508 
From the Compendium of County History:-  "In Wetheral church is the monument, by Nollekens, of Maria, daughter of Lord Archer, and wife of Henry Howard, esq. who died 1789."

evidence:-   descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843) 
source data:-   Guide book, A Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by Rev William Ford, published by Charles Thurnam, Carlisle, by W Edwards, 12 Ave Maria Lane, Charles Tilt, Fleet Street, William Smith, 113 Fleet Street, London, by Currie and Bowman, Newcastle, by Bancks and Co, Manchester, by Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh, and by Sinclair, Dumfries, 1839.
image FD01P121, button  goto source
Page 121:-  "..."
"... The church is a neat edifice of the perpendicular style, consisting of a nave with aisles and clerestory windows, and a chancel with north aisle, the burial-place of the Howards. A modern tower stands at the west end. In the chancel, on a table monument having its sides adorned with foliated circles in squares, lie the mutilated effigies of Sir Richard Salkeld, knight, and his lady, the ancient possessors of Corby, from whom that manor passed by purchase to the present proprietors. The monumental chapel of the Howards contains that masterpiece of Nollekins', his monument to the first lady of the late H. Howard, Esq. She was daughter of Lord Archer, and died in giving birth to her first child. She is represented as half-reclining on the tomb, the infant lying across her lap, and an angel in a stooping posture directing her upturned gaze to heaven. Further description is needless: tender minds will always feel themselves sensibly affected by the contemplation of a fate so melancholy, and that will be increased by the view of it, pourtrayed as it is here in so touching a manner."

evidence:-   old map:- Nurse 1918
source data:-   Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 2nd edn 1939.
Linked to Warwick 
item:-  JandMN : 27
Image © see bottom of page

 notes about bells

 stained glass

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Church of the Holy Trinity and St Constantine
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Church. C13 with alterations of early C16, 1790-91, 1872 (by R.J. Withers) and 1881-2. Dressed red sandstone, graduated slate roofs, coped east gable. West tower, nave with vestry and south porch, chancel and chapel, bellcote at east end. Hexagonal tower, on site of medieval porch, 1790 with 1882 upper part. Round-arched moulded West door under 2-light window. C19 clock. Drip moulds at floors and openings; battlemented parapet with corner water spouts and pinnacles. C16 nave doors and windows, some blocked or repositioned; C16 clerestory. C19 south extension in re-used stone with 4-light window. Chancel has 5-light east window. South window and priest's door have inscriptions to William Thornton and Richard Wedderhall, Priors of Wetheral 1500-30 and 1534-9. 4-bay double-chamfered nave arcades. Medieval features include C13 hexagonal font, tomb chest with effigies of Sir Richard and Dame Jane Salkeld c1500, and fragments of stained glass. Other glass of C19 and Howard Chapel of 1791 Gothic style, has buttresses rising to pinnacles and battlemented parapet; also large cast iron pointed windows, an early use of this material. Interior has rib-vaulted plaster ceiling. Its chief ornament is a life sized monumental figure of Faith, commemorating Lady Maria Howard, died 1789, by Joseph Nollekens for Henry Howard of Corby Castle who built the chapel as her memorial. Nollekens considered this to be his finest work and he is shown carving this monument on his tombstone. See Transactions of the Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian &Archaeological Soc., vol. xxii (new series) pp.235-8."

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Tomb for Colonel Thomas Howard, died 1642. Dressed sandstone plinth supports chest capped by shaped slab of yellow sandstone, inscribed to various members of the Howard family of nearby Corby Castle, headed by the name of Colonel Howard who died at the battle of Atherton Moor. Probably an upright stone which was moved to this location from another part of the graveyard, on the construction of the Howard memorial chapel (immediately west) in 1791. Included for G.V. with the nearby Wetheral Church."

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
item:-  Dixon Monument
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Monument for Joseph Dixon of Broadwath, died 8 August, 1844, aged 45 years. Carved and moulded red sandstone. 2 metres high in Grecian style. Chamfered base with squared column inscribed in panels on 3 sides, cornice surmounted by ornate carved vase. No mason's name. Inscriptions record deaths of other members of the above's family. Included partly for G.V. with the nearby Wetheral Church."

 memorials and tombs

evidence:-   old print:- Bogg 1898
source data:-   Print, engraving, Effigy of Sir Richard Salkeld and His Wife, Holy Trinity and St Contantiine, Wetheral, Cumberland, by S Harrison, published by Edmund Bogg, 3 Woodhouse Lane, and James Miles, Guildford Street, Leeds, Yorkshire, 1898.
image  click to enlarge
Included on p.58 of Lakeland and Ribblesdale, by Edmund Bogg. 
item:-  JandMN : 231.28
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old print:- Jollie 1811
placename:-  Wetheral Church
source data:-   Print, uncoloured woodcut engraving, View of Wetheral Church from Corby Walks, Holy Trinity and St Constantine's Church, Wetheral, Cumberland, published by Francis Jollie and Sons, Carlisle, Cumberland, 1811.
image  click to enlarge
Tipped in opposite part 1 p.69 of Jollie's Cumberland Guide and Directory. 
item:-  Armitt Library : A214.4
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old print:- 
placename:-  Weatheral Church
item:-  stained glass
source data:-   Print, polychrome, Stained Glass, Weatheral Church, Holy Trinity and St Constantine's Church, Wetheral, Cumberland, published by G Bell, Fleet Street, London, 1842?
image  click to enlarge
Stained glass window within round headed embrasure. The window depicts the Virgin Mary standing in a meadow carpeted with flowers, holding the infant Jesus. 
printed at bottom centre:-  "Stained Glass. Weatheral Church, Cumberland. Pubd by G. Bell Fleet St London"
item:-  Tullie House Museum : 1976.169.2.4
Image © Tullie House Museum

 cross slabs

Richard  1175 -  
William  1200 -  
Symon  1230 -  
Henry  1232 -  
Hugone  - Hugh  1232 -  
Elyas  1236 -  
Everard  - Heverard  1238 -  
John  1241 -  
Gilbert  1241 -  
Randulph  1270 -  
Richard  1270 -  
Resyugton, Richard de  1338 -  
Hartley, Ranulph  1538 -  
Bellwood, Mr  1618 -  
Peile, Mr  1620 -  
Allyson, M  1622 -  
Sewell, John, Sir  1629 -  
Pawson, James, Sir  1629 -  
Railton, Robert, Sir  1630 -  
Smallwood, Gabriel  1674 -  
Nicols, Thomas  1687 -  
Smith, Thomas  1700 -  
Bird, Isaac  1703 -  
Tong, Edward  1714 -  
Lazonby, Ben  1728 -  
Gilbanks, George  1742 -  
Stanger, E  1787 -  
Lawson, Anthony  1790 -  
Vansittart, G  1847 -  
Hodgson, Joseph Lowther  1848 -  
Blake, William  1861 -  
Loftie, Arthur G  1904 -  


CEW50.jpg  Organ, by R A J Bower and Co, Norwich, Norfolk.
(taken 17.4.2016)  
CEW52.jpg  Organ, by R A J Bower and Co, Norwich, Norfolk.
(taken 17.4.2016)  
CEW51.jpg  Organ, by R A J Bower and Co, Norwich, Norfolk.
(taken 17.4.2016)  
CEW47.jpg  Sunday school banner.
(taken 17.4.2016)  
CEW56.jpg  Boot scraper.
(taken 17.4.2016)  
BOX65.jpg (taken 29.3.2008)  
BOX66.jpg (taken 29.3.2008)  

BXS23.jpg  War memorial gate, World War II.
(taken 29.3.2008)  

Founded 1088.

person:-    : Holy Trinity
person:-    : St Constantine
place:-   Wetheral / Carlisle Diocese

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.