button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
Duddon Viaduct, Broughton West
Duddon Viaduct
site name:-   Whitehaven and Furness Junction Railway
site name:-   Duddon, River
civil parish:-   Broughton West (formerly Lancashire)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   railway viaduct
locality type:-   viaduct
coordinates:-   SD200856
coordinates:-   SD204856
1Km square:-   SD2085
10Km square:-   SD28

BMS50.jpg (taken 30.9.2006)  
BMS51.jpg (taken 30.9.2006)  

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Lan 10 3) 
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
OS County Series (Lan 10 4) 
image  click to enlarge
from near High Shaw to Foxfield Point 

evidence:-   old text:- Martineau 1855
source data:-   Guide book, A Complete Guide to the English Lakes, by Harriet Martineau, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, and by Whittaker and Co, London, 1855; published 1855-76.
image MNU1P107, button  goto source
Page 107:-  "... The coast railway is seen crossing the estuary,- its cobweb tracery showing well against the sand or the water. ... Near at hand Broughton Tower rises from the woods above the little town: but there is nothing else to detain the eye. ..."

evidence:-   old print:- Linton 1852
placename:-  Duddon Viaduct
item:-  boatfishing boat
source data:-   Print, engraving, Duddon Viaduct, Broughton West, Cumberland, drawn by R Shepherd, engraved by W H Lizars, Edinburgh, published by Whittaker and Co, London, and by R Gibson and Son and by Callander and Dixon, Whitehaven, Cumberland, 1852.
image  click to enlarge
Tipped in opposite p.104 of A Handbook of the Whitehaven and Furness Railway, by John Linton. 
printed at bottom left, right, centre:-  "R. Shepherd delt. / W. H. Lizars sc. / DUDDON VIADUCT"
item:-  Armitt Library : A1158.12
Image © see bottom of page

There was a scheme to build an embankment across Duddon Sands, in a report by John Hague and George Stephenson for a Cumberland coast railway route to Scotland, 1837-38; 52000 acres of land would be reclaimed. In 1867 the idea was revived, and the Furness Railway started on work by making a cutting near Askam, quickly abandoned.

Timber trestle of 50 spans, 592 yards long. Replaced by cast iron about 1874.

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.