button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
St Michael, Bootle
St Michael and All Angels Church
Bootle Church
locality:-   Bootle
civil parish:-   Bootle (formerly Cumberland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church
coordinates:-   SD10728839
1Km square:-   SD1088
10Km square:-   SD18
references:-   : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

BMS95.jpg (taken 30.9.2006)  
BVS25.jpg (taken 24.11.2011)  

evidence:-   old text:- Gents Mag
source data:-   Magazine, The Gentleman's Magazine or Monthly Intelligencer or Historical Chronicle, published by Edward Cave under the pseudonym Sylvanus Urban, and by other publishers, London, monthly from 1731 to 1922.
image G819A507, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1819 part 1 p.507 
From the Compendium of County History:-  "In Bootle church is the monument of Sir Hugh Askew, knighted at Musselborough, 1547, died 1562."

evidence:-   descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843) 
item:-  font
source data:-   Guide book, A Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by Rev William Ford, published by Charles Thurnam, Carlisle, by W Edwards, 12 Ave Maria Lane, Charles Tilt, Fleet Street, William Smith, 113 Fleet Street, London, by Currie and Bowman, Newcastle, by Bancks and Co, Manchester, by Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh, and by Sinclair, Dumfries, 1839.
image FD01P014, button  goto source
Page 14:-  "..."
"[Bootle] ... The church is a small structure dedicated to Saint Michael, having within a monumental brass plate, representing the effigy of Sir Hugh Askew, 'late of the seller of Edward VI,' who was knighted at the battle of Musselburgh, in 1547, and died in 1562. The font is remarkable, and is of black marble, of an octagonal shape, having shields, and an inscription in black letter characters."

evidence:-   old map:- Nurse 1918
source data:-   Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 2nd edn 1939.
item:-  JandMN : 27
Image © see bottom of page

 stained glass


evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Church of St Michael
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Church. Medieval but heavily restored C19, transepts 1837, west tower c.1860-80. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings, chancel roughcast, and slate roofs. Nave with transepts and west tower, chancel with south organ loft. Tower has angle buttresses and string courses. West entrance has pointed trefoil head under relieving arch, 2 lancets and clock above, north canted stair turret has hipped roof with tiny dormer. 2 lancet louvred bell openings with flanking blind lancets; Lombard frieze, coped parapet with pinnacles; pyramidal roof with cross. 2-bay nave has lancets with continuous hoodmould extended across transepts; north elevation has traces of entrance. Transepts have stepped triple lancets with single lancets to returns, that to south with lateral stack. Chancel has 3-light round-headed window over raking base, with massive raking buttress to south; coped gable with cross; north elevation has 2-light window with tracery and entrance with shouldered lintel; south elevation has lean-to organ loft with quoins and deeply splayed lancets. Interior: has nave and transepts with collar and tie-beam trusses, ceiled above collars, with king and queen struts. 2-bay arcades to transepts, round chancel arch is double-chamfered, part original. Octagonal font on C19 stem has shields to sides, initials: RB (possibly R Brown, rector c.1535); Hudleston arms and black-letter inscription; C19 pinnacled cover. Chancel has piscina in C19 surround; small wall brass to Sir Hugh Askew (died 1562). C19 stalls with traceried panels. E window by Hardman, chancel north window by Holiday (date of death 1899) and transept windows by Ward and Hughes."

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
item:-  Shaw Monument
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Headstone by churchyard wall. 1780. Ashlar. Head has broken segmental pediment, the ends with paterae and floral drops, and urn; paterae and floral drops to sides. Inscription records William Shaw (died 1780), his wife Hannah (died 1787) and son William (died 1774)."


Brown, Richard  1535 -  
Hutton, Richard  1660 -  
Holmes, Henry  1704 -  
Steele, Daniel  1729 -  
Wennington, Miles  1764 -  
Crookbaiin, Henry  1771 -  
Smith, Thomas  1777 -  
Satterthwaite, James  1808 -  
Fleming, John  1820 -  
Scott, Alexander  1835 -  
Wilkin, Arthur  1848 -  
Watson, S Watson  1878 -  
Hodson, Thomas  1899 -  
Neale, James  1904 -  


Described in:-

Butler, Lawrence (ed): 2011: Church Notes of Sir Stephen Glynne for Cumbria, 1833-1872: CWAAS:: ISBN 978 1 873124 52 9
Extracted from the original notes made by Sir Stephen, now in Deiniol's Library, Hawarden, Flintshire, contact through Flintshire Record Office

BMS99.jpg  Organ, rebuilt by Wilkinson and Sons, Kendal, 1945.
(taken 30.9.2006)  
BVS29.jpg  Organ, restorer's plate.
(taken 30.9.2006)  
BVS30.jpg  Mothers Union banner.
(taken 30.9.2006)  
CDV86.jpg  Ceiling.
(taken 6.9.2015)  
BSN67.jpg  Notice about enlargement 1837.
(taken 6.4.2010)  

Hugh Askew came from Lacra, Whicham. He was the butler of Queen Catherine, wife of Henry VIII, and lost his job when she lost hers. However, dressed in his court finery, after bringing in a basket of charcoal for Henry VIII's fire, Hugh, was got his job back. At The Battle of Pinkie, near Musselburgh, 1542, he was knighted by Edward VI. Sir Hugh was granted Seaton Hall at The Dissolution.

Paley and Austin series
person:-   architect
 : Paley, Edward G
person:-   architect
 : Austin, Hubert J
person:-   architect
 : Paley, Henry A
date:-   1890
Fittings in the chancel, and a new pulpit.

person:-    : St Michael
person:-    : All Angels
place:-   Bootle / Carlisle Diocese

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.