button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
St Mary, Sebergham
St Mary's Church
Sebergham Church
locality:-   Churchtown
locality:-   Sebergham
civil parish:-   Sebergham (formerly Cumberland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church
coordinates:-   NY36404185
1Km square:-   NY3641
10Km square:-   NY34
references:-   : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

BTS33.jpg (taken 22.10.2010)  
BTS34.jpg (taken 22.10.2010)  

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Cmd 38 6) 
placename:-  St Mary's Church
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
"St. Mary's Church (Per Curacy) / Grave Yard"

evidence:-   old text:- Gents Mag
source data:-   Magazine, The Gentleman's Magazine or Monthly Intelligencer or Historical Chronicle, published by Edward Cave under the pseudonym Sylvanus Urban, and by other publishers, London, monthly from 1731 to 1922.
image G819A508, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1819 part 1 p.508 
From the Compendium of County History:-  "In Sebergham church is a monument of its native poet Josiah Ralph, who was curate here from 1733 till his death in 1743. His poems were published by his successor in the curacy, the Rev. Thomas Denton, who was himself author of two poems, and compiled the supplemental volume of the Biographical Dictionary. He died in 1777."

evidence:-   old map:- Nurse 1918
source data:-   Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 2nd edn 1939.
item:-  JandMN : 27
Image © see bottom of page

 notes about bells

 stained glass

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Church of St Mary
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"CHURCH OF ST MARY / / / SEBERGHAM / ALLERDALE / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 72471 / NY3640841853"
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Parish church. Medieval with repairs of 1774 and 1785, tower 1825 and 1905 restoration. Mixed large and small blocks of red sandstone. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables. Thin 3-storey west tower/porch; 3-bay nave and lower single-bay chancel. Side entrance in tower has alternate-block surround and voussoirs; external stone steps to first floor west doorway, with louvred vents above, under battlemented parapet with pinnacles. Nave has blocked segmental-arched north door. 2-light Tudor window and original lancet window. South wall has been heavily restored with 2- and 3-light 1905 windows. Chancel has 4 original lancet windows. 3-light east window of 1905. Interior of nave: open timber ceiling of 1905 and 3-light oriel window over west door of same date. Wall plaques to various local families, one to Thomas Watson 1823 by Musgrave Lewthwaite Watson with sculptured panel after Fuseli's Three Witches (illustrated by Pevsner, Buildings of England, Cumberland and Westmorland volume, plate 57). Chancel has flat Tudor-style timber ceiling. Lancet windows have rear arches. Wall plaque with coats-of-arms to Thomas Denton, 1616."


Heckstetter, Samuel  1648 -  
Maison, Thomas  1656 -  
Abbot, Robert  1679 -  
Preston, Mathew  1684 -  
Mayson, Samuel  1696 -  
Kynneir, James  1695 - 1733 
Relph, Josiah  1736 - 1743 
Relph, Samuel  1744 - 1768 
Denton, Thomas  1768 - 1777 
Sheepshanks, William  1777 - 1808 
Thompson, C  1812 - 1816 
Lowthian, J  1816 - 1818 
Irving, J  1818 - 1823 
Heysham, John  1823 - 1846 
Moody, Clement  1846 - 1852 
Kemble, N F U  1852 - 1865 
Adams, R S  1865 - 1876 
Whitmore, H  1876 - 1895 
Vaughan, Robert  1897 - 1901 
Roberts, J A  1902 - 1915 

BTS35.jpg  Organ by Wilkinson and Sons, Kendal; and the tuner.
(taken 22.10.2010)  
BTS36.jpg  Organ, makers plate, Wilkinson and Sons, Kendal.
(taken 22.10.2010)  
BTS37.jpg  Organ stops.
(taken 22.10.2010)  
CBM86.jpg  Banner.
(taken 22.8.2014)  
BYQ70.jpg  War memorial plaque, World War I.
(taken 28.6.2013)  
BLR79.jpg  Gravestones.
(taken 24.3.2006)  
BTS42.jpg  Funerary plate.
(taken 22.10.2010)  

A hermit, William Wastell, built a cell on this site about 1188, with a chapel by it. A church was built on the site; a tower was added in 1825; the whole was restored in 1880; and again in 1905.

: : church leaflet

person:-    : St Mary
place:-   Sebergham / Carlisle Diocese

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.