button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
St Andrew, Borrowdale
St Andrew's Church
Borrowdale Church
locality:-   Stonethwaite
locality:-   Borrowdale
civil parish:-   Borrowdale (formerly Cumberland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church
coordinates:-   NY25791399
1Km square:-   NY2513
10Km square:-   NY21

BLT93.jpg (taken 3.4.2006)  
BLT94.jpg (taken 3.4.2006)  

evidence:-   old map:- Mercator 1595 (edn?) 
placename:-  Borodale Chapel
source data:-   Map, hand coloured engraving, Northumbria, Cumberlandia, et Dunelmensis Episcopatus, ie Northumberland, Cumberland and Durham etc, scale about 6.5 miles to 1 inch, by Gerard Mercator, Duisberg, Germany, about 1595.
"Borodale chap."
item:-  JandMN : 169
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old map:- Gents Mag 1751
placename:-  Borrodale Chapel
source data:-   Map, uncoloured engraving, Map of the Black Lead Mines in Cumberland, and area, scale about 2 miles to 1 inch, by George Smith, published in the Gentleman's Magazine, 1751.
"Borrodale Chap"
item:-  JandMN : 114
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old map:- Donald 1774 (Cmd) 
source data:-   Map, hand coloured engraving, 3x2 sheets, The County of Cumberland, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, by Thomas Donald, engraved and published by Joseph Hodskinson, 29 Arundel Street, Strand, London, 1774.
item:-  Carlisle Library : Map 2
Image © Carlisle Library

evidence:-   old text:- Gents Mag
source data:-   Magazine, The Gentleman's Magazine or Monthly Intelligencer or Historical Chronicle, published by Edward Cave under the pseudonym Sylvanus Urban, and by other publishers, London, monthly from 1731 to 1922.
image G7951077, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1795 p.52-53 
p.52  "... Before we came to Barrowdale chapel, which is situated on the left, the valley expands, and the two streams divide, which form the Darwent by their union. The area of Barrowdale chapel"
p.53  "is scarce equal to that of a pigeon cote, and its height much less. ..."

evidence:-   descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843) 
source data:-   Guide book, A Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by Rev William Ford, published by Charles Thurnam, Carlisle, by W Edwards, 12 Ave Maria Lane, Charles Tilt, Fleet Street, William Smith, 113 Fleet Street, London, by Currie and Bowman, Newcastle, by Bancks and Co, Manchester, by Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh, and by Sinclair, Dumfries, 1839.
image FD01P068, button  goto source
Page 68:-  "..."
"Leaving Rosthwaite to proceed onwards to Wast Water, whither we shall pursue our journey, on the left is the neat small chapel belonging to this dale."
image FD01P069, button  goto source
Page 69:-  "It is situated at the foot of steep mountains, and was rebuilt in 1706, Joseph Harris being chapel-warden, as an inscription declares. ..."
image FD01P168, button  goto source
Page 168:-  "Rossthwaite.- Near this village is the Chapel of Ease, standing at the point whence the three vales or grains of this extensive valley diverge."

evidence:-   old map:- Nurse 1918
source data:-   Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 2nd edn 1939.
item:-  JandMN : 27
Image © see bottom of page

BRM13.jpg (taken 20.9.2009)  

 stained glass

evidence:-   old print:- Sylvan 1847
placename:-  Rosthwaite Chapel
source data:-   Print, engraving, Rosthwaite Chapel, presumably St Andrew's Church, Stonethwaite, Borrowdale, Cumberland, published by John Johnstone, Paternoster Row, London, et al, 1847.
image  click to enlarge
On p.202 of Sylvan's Pictorial Guide to the English Lakes. 
printed at bottom:-  "ROSTHWAITE CHAPEL."
item:-  Armitt Library : A1201.51
Image © see bottom of page

Harrison, John  1750 - 1806 
Parsable, William  1806 - 1839 
Newby, George  1839 - 1873 
West, George  1873 - 1875 
Ward, John  1875 - 1876 
Walker, Percy Cooper  1876 - 1879 
Walker, Herbert Stratton  1879 - 1884 
Taylor, John  1884 - 1892 
Heels, Arthur John  1892 - 1901 
Penson, Edward Allan  1901 - 1907 
Bowker, Charles Arthur C  1907 - 1910 
Ashworth, John  1910 - 1931 

 Rushbearing 1760s

BVJ66.jpg  Organ, by Wilkinson, Kendal.
(taken 18.9.2011)  
CCZ77.jpg  Organ.
(taken 13.5.2015)  
CCZ78.jpg  Organ.
(taken 13.5.2015)  
BVJ67.jpg  Mothers Union banner.
(taken 18.9.2011)  
BVJ65.jpg (taken 18.9.2011)  
CCZ71.jpg  Gate.
(taken 13.5.2015)  

BVJ68.jpg  War memorial, World War I.
(taken 18.9.2011)  

Click to enlarge
BTO99.jpg (taken 22.9.2010)  
The Borrowdale Batik
Made by children at Borrowdale CE Primary School, under the guidance of Diane Cannon, a local artist, for the Borrowdale Story Project, 2009. They drew places they liked to explore, Johny's Wood, Fairy Glen, landmarks, Bowderstone, Stockley Bridge, Ashness Bridge, and buildings, Moot Hall, High Lodore Farm, the church and school.
Indonesian wax resist technique was used to build layers of colour for the sky, mountains, woods and fields. Sequins highlight the water. Applique pictures finish the scene.

The earliest known christian settlements here date from about 1200, but the first indication of a church is a reference to Chapel Farm in 1615. Records say that Borrowdale Chapel was consecrated in 1687. It was a chapel to Crosthwaite, but was granted a churchyard for burials in 1765. There were major repairs about 1981.

: 1981 (2nd end): Parish of Borrowdale with Grange, The

person:-    : St Andrew
place:-   Borrowdale with Grange / Carlisle Diocese

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.