button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
Legburthwaite Mill, St John's Castlerigg etc
Legburthwaite Mill
site name:-   Mill Gill
locality:-   Legburthwaite
civil parish:-   St John's Castlerigg and Wythburn (formerly Cumberland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   buildings
locality type:-   mill (ex) 
locality type:-   water mill
locality type:-   corn mill
locality type:-   flood
coordinates:-   NY31911973
1Km square:-   NY3119
10Km square:-   NY31

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Cmd 64 16) 
placename:-  Legberthwaite Mill
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
"Legberthwaite Mill (Corn)"

evidence:-   old text:- Gents Mag
item:-  flood, 1749
source data:-   Magazine, The Gentleman's Magazine or Monthly Intelligencer or Historical Chronicle, published by Edward Cave under the pseudonym Sylvanus Urban, and by other publishers, London, monthly from 1731 to 1922.
image G7510200, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1751 p.200  "..."
"ON the 22d of August 1749, there was the most terrible thunder, and incessant lightning, ... swept away a mill and a kiln in five minutes, leaving the place where they stood covered with huge rocks and rubbish, 3 or 4 yards deep; so that one of the mill stones cannot be found. ..."

evidence:-   old map:- Donald 1774 (Cmd) 
source data:-   Map, hand coloured engraving, 3x2 sheets, The County of Cumberland, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, by Thomas Donald, engraved and published by Joseph Hodskinson, 29 Arundel Street, Strand, London, 1774.
circle with rays, mill wheel; a water mill 
item:-  Carlisle Library : Map 2
Image © Carlisle Library

evidence:-   old text:- Clarke 1787
placename:-  Legberthwaite Mill
item:-  storm, 1749rainflood, 1749
source data:-   Guide book, A Survey of the Lakes of Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire, written and published by James Clarke, Penrith, Cumberland, and in London etc, 1787; published 1787-93.
image CL13P116, button  goto source
Page 116:-  "..."
"We now arrive at the bridge which crosses the river that runs from Thyrill-mere, or Leathes water: here we see Legberthwaite-mill, which with many other buildings was driven away by the violence of the water-spout A.D. 1749, ..."

evidence:-   old map:- Clarke 1787 map (Ambleside to Keswick) 
placename:-  Legberthwaite Mill
source data:-   Map, A Map of the Roads Lakes etc between Keswick and Ambleside, scale about 2.5 ins to 1 mile, by James Clarke, engraved by S J Neele, 352 Strand, published by James Clarke, Penrith, Cumberland and in London etc, 1787.
"Legberthwaite Mill"
item:-  private collection : 10.9
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old print:- Green 1810 (plate 29) 
placename:-  Legberthwaite Mill
item:-  mill lade
source data:-   Print, soft ground etching, Mill in Legberthwaite, St John's Castlerigg and Wythburn, Cumberland, by William Green, Ambleside, Westmorland, 1809.
image  click to enlarge
The crag behind is Castle Rock. 
Plate 29 in Sixty Studies from Nature, 1810. 
printed at top right:-  "29"
printed at bottom:-  "MILL IN LEGBERTHWAITE. / Drawn &Engraved by William Green, and Published at Ambleside, Augst. 1, 1809."
watermark:-  "J WHATMAN / 1813"
item:-  Armitt Library : A6641.29
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old print:- Wilkinson 1810 (plate 19) 
placename:-  Legbethwaite Mill
item:-  rain
source data:-   Print, uncoloured soft ground etching, Legbethwaite Mill, St John's Vale, taken after much rain, Cumberland, by Joseph Wilkinson, engraved by William Frederick Wells, published by R Ackermann, Repository of Arts, 101 Strand, London, 1810.
image  click to enlarge
Plate 19 in Select Views in Cumberland, Westmoreland, and Lancashire. 
printed at bottom left, right, centre:-  "The Revd. Jos: Wilkinson delt. / W. F. Wells sculpt. / Legbethwaite Mill, St John's Vale, taken after much rain. / Published May 1. 1810. by R. Ackermann. 101. Strand. London."
item:-  Fell and Rock Climbing Club : MN4.19
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843) 
placename:-  Legberthwaite Mill
source data:-   Guide book, A Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by Rev William Ford, published by Charles Thurnam, Carlisle, by W Edwards, 12 Ave Maria Lane, Charles Tilt, Fleet Street, William Smith, 113 Fleet Street, London, by Currie and Bowman, Newcastle, by Bancks and Co, Manchester, by Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh, and by Sinclair, Dumfries, 1839.
image FD01P063, button  goto source
Page 63:-  "... Legberthwaite Mill at its [Castle Rock's] foot was destroyed some seventy years ago by a water-spout, all the destructive traces of which the healing hand of time has effaced. ..."

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.