|previous page next page|
from the title it gave to Edmund, second son of Henry III, and to his issue, Dukes of Lancaster, and Kings of England, of the Lancastrian line. In the end, however, it suffered much by supporting their title to the crown in the contest with the house of York. And so little had it retrieved itself when Camden visited it in 1609, that he speaks of it as not populous, and that the inhabitants were all husbandmen. Since that time it is, however, much enlarged . The new houses are particularly neat and handsome; the streets are well paved, and thronged with inhabitants, busied in prosperous trade to the West Indies, and other places. Along a fine quay, noble warehouses are built. And when it shall please those concerned to deepen the shoals in the river, ships of great burthen may lie before them; for at present we only see, in that part of the river, such as do not exceed 250 tons.
The air of Lancaster is salubrious, the environs pleasant, the
The town has continued to increase. It has also been lately
ornamented with a new town-hall, or exchange, esteemed a handsome
building, with a noble portico. An elegant steeple has been also
lately built to to (sic) the chapel (after the design of Mr.
Harrison) by a donation of the late Mr. T. Bowes, which, with the
turret on the exchange, add much to the pleasing or rather
striking appearance this town has at a distance, on account of
the castle, church, and the conspicuous situation of several good
|Lakes Guides menu.|