button to main menu   Ford's Description of the Lakes, 1839/1843

button title page
button previous page button next page
Page 123:-
and Wetheral woods. In front stands Corby Castle, and far away the blue highlands of the Borders. Returning back along the summit of the woods, you come to the small and interesting remains of

  Wetheral Priory
Which was founded by Ranulph de Meschiens in 1088, for eight monks, and dedicated to the Holy Trinity, St. Mary, and St. Constantine. It was a dependent under the abbey of St. Mary's in York; on its dissolution, it was granted to the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. Nothing is now left but the gateway, a square embattled tower of English perpendicular architecture. Over the very obtuse arch of the gateway is a watch-room, having on each side a small arched cell with slit-holes, commanding the approach north and south. The rest of the site is occupied by farm-buildings.
The tourist may proceed up the river to Armathwaite on either side; we would, however, recommend him to cross the water again to Corby, and go from that village up the hill, passing the lodge of the Castle. On the summit of the hill, let him stop and take a farewell retrospective view. At the bottom of the hill is Corby, amongst its smiling gardens, and orchards, and noble woods; stretching across the glen are seen the majestic Roman arches of the Viaduct; the middle ground occupied by the rich holms that extend as far as Warwick Hall, its
gazetteer links
button -- "Cells of st Constantine" -- St Constantine's Cells
button -- "Wetheral Priory" -- Wetheral Priory
button next page

button to main menu Lakes Guides menu.