|previous page next page|
At Ennerdale Bridge are two public-houses. The chapel is a
small fabric, which was re-pewed in 1786; the thorn hedge
which enclosed the burial-ground was removed in 1825, and a
stone wall built: being six miles distant from the mother
church of Saint Bees, it enjoys parochial privileges.
The road from Ennerdale by Lamplugh keeps the fells at some
distance on the right, skirting their bases as it leads
onwards. The irregular swells and lofty eminences seen in
the immediate neighbourhood, are Blake Fell and Knockmurton.
On the right is Lamplugh Hall, an ancient edifice situated
at the foot of a lofty green hill, with an extensive view
north and north-west. The church is an antique structure,
near the principal gate-way leading to the hall, the
residence of the family of Lamplugh, of known valour in the
service of their country, but who became extinct in T.
Lamplugh, who died at Copgrove, in Yorkshire, February 18th,
1783. Four or five miles further, on the left, but out of
the way, is Eaglesfield, which we notice because once
possessed by a family of that name, one of whom, Robert, was
confessor to Queen Philippa, consort of Edward III, and
founder of Queen's College, in Oxford.
This is an ancient borough and market-town at the confluence of the Derwent and Cocker, which after flowing through Buttermere and Crummock,
|-- All Saints Church|
|-- Cocker Bridge|
|-- "Cockermouth" -- Cockermouth|
|-- Derwent Bridge|
|-- "Eaglesfield" -- Eaglesfield|
|-- "Lamplugh Hall" -- Lamplugh Hall|
|-- (school, Cockermouth)|
|-- St Mary's Church|