button to main menu   West's Guide to the Lakes, 1778/1821

button title page
button previous page button next page
Page 147:-
The castrum is 168 paces from south to north, by 110 within the foss; which was also surrounded with a stone-wall. The stones have been removed to the fence-wall on the road side, and being in Plumpton, is called Plumpton-wall.
The station is a vast heap of ruins, of stone building. The walls are of great thickness, and cemented. The town has surrounded the station, except on the side of the Petteral. But whether the station took its name from the river, as being upon its banks, and was called the Petriana, or whether the station gave name to the river (which is perhaps the least probable) let him who can determine.
The station is twelve miles and three quarters from Carlisle; five and a quarter from Penrith; about seven from Brougham-castle; and about eighteen from Keswick, where an intermediate station must have been, between Ambleside and Moresby, having Caer-mot between it and old Carlisle, and Papcastle between it and Moresby. The summer station would be on Castle-hill, and the winter station on the area of the present town of Keswick, or on some convenient place betwixt the conflux of the rivers Greeta and Derwent. And it is more probable that the Derventione of the Chorographia was here than at Papcastle, which comes better in for the Pampo-
button next page
gazetteer links
button -- "Petteral" -- Petteril, River
button -- (roman fort, Keswick)
button -- (roman fort, Whitbarrow)

button to main menu Lakes Guides menu.